By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Is Crysis 2 the best looking console game?

Is Crysis 2 the best looking console game?

no 143 28.77%

yes 189 38.03%

no, but best xbox game 165 33.20%

Total:497

i edited the op since kowenicki was confused, im talking pure graphics.

okay after the controvery of the ign crysis review, i though we should discuss if Cryis really is the best lookng console game/

digital foundry and lense of truth have now done analyis of both versions.

and their conclusion seems to be, that both version are roughly parity.

the ps3 has some pros, and the xbox has some pros., and both version have their cons. neither is significantly better than the other.

digital foundry also metions that Crysis is/has

-not in HD

- very unstable game

-texture pop in

-object pop in

-variable frame rate that can drop incredibly low

-both xbox and ps3 version is sub HD

-many flaws in the shadows

so the question is, was ign (and a few other sites) correct in saying that crysis is the best graphical game?

edit:here are some quotes from digital foundry to back up my bullets

“glitches, LOD pop-ins, some really impactful frame-rate dips” 

“Crysis 2 runs at 1152x720 resolution on the Microsoft platform, PS3 operates at a base resolution of 1024x720.”  (which is not full 720p, and is not HD)

“Shadows appear to have some offset issues in places on the PlayStation 3 (look on the building on the left in the top shot), but up close, it's clear that the Xbox 360 implementation is rather blocky in comparison (left, bottom shots).” 

“Put simply, on certain stages, frame-rate varies rather drastically to the point where the game can feel almost unplayable.” 

“there are parts of the game that seem to be brutally unoptimised, bringing the performance level crashing down to the point where the afflicted sections become almost unplayable - a variable 15-20FPS update in an intense fire-fight is hugely disorientating, and this makes Crysis 2 one of the most inconsistent performers released in recent times.”

“the issues the game has in terms of bizarre glitches, performance drops, geometry pop-in and such-like are hardly exclusive to one platform.” 

Around the Network

I picked "no, but the best Xbox 360 game"

After playing it for a about 3 hours I can safely say this is how console graphics currently are

God of War 3 > Uncharted 2 = Killzone 3 = Crysis 2 > other miscelaneous titles.

yo_john117 said:

I picked "no, but the best Xbox 360 game"

After playing it for a about 3 hours I can safely say this is how console graphics currently are

God of War 3 > Uncharted 2 = Killzone 3 = Crysis 2 > other miscelaneous titles.

No offense but after only 3 hours you can't safely say that. You haven't even seen some of the best looking parts of the game, and I do mean best looking parts. There are a couple missions where it goes to another level. Its a 8-10 hour game so you have a lot to see. You may change your mind after beating it. I think its only fair to judge all these games after finishing them. I've finished God of War 3, Uncharted 2, Killzone 3, and 4/5 of the way done with Crysis 2. At this point Crysis 2 is the best looking console game for me and Killzone 3 coming in a close second. I'll revisit it when I'm done with Crysis 2 but I doubt its going to get worse.

Crysis 2>Killzone 3>God of War 3=Uncharted 2>Castlevania:Lords of Shadow (beautiful game)

I have played for about two hours now and I would have to say that it's the best looking game I have played on my 360.  Everything is crisp and looking great.  I remember how amazed I was the first time I played Alan Wake.  When you come in by boat, at the beginning of the game, I was in awe.  In Crysis 2, when you really come into New York, I was even more impressed.  It is fun to be a gamer in this day and age.

Proud owner and supporter of the YAKUZA games!

The fact that it is even in the running is impressive.  No 360 exclusive in the last couple years has really challenged a PS3 exclusive then a multi-plat comes along and changes everything and shows what the 360 is capable of.  Crytek has done something deserving of praise.  I honestly thought the 360 had reached its limit but Crytek changed my mind.  The game looks great.

I haven't played Killzone 3 and probably won't but I think it's the graphics king so far.  I put it above God of War 3 simply because it's a much larger environment and I'm more impressed with the amount of action going on.  It's just so pretty. 

Around the Network

Nsanity said:

pics arent showing up, could you post them again

edit nevermind

osamanobama said:
Nsanity said:

pics arent showing up, could you post them again

edit nevermind

Old jedi mind trick

Nsanity said:

if only it looked that good all the time.

to bad it doesnt, it would surely be the best

osamanobama said:
Nsanity said:

if only it looked that good all the time.

to bad it doesnt, it would surely be the best

Well as I told someone else you need to finish the game to make up your mind. Yes the whole game does not look like this but there are parts where it actually looks better. When you get farther you will see what I'm talking about. Obviously when you're walking around inside a building its not going to be as impressive.