By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - George Hotz Runs Away to South America; Lies About Having PSN Account

So because Sony is suing he, he is supposed to live like a monk until the case is resolved. It could take years, so he is supposed to put his life completely on hold indefinitely? He is supposed to spend every last penny of his savings on his legal defense, money he will never get back? Sounds a lot like punishment without even being convicted of anything.

Anyone can guess. It takes no effort to throw out lots of predictions and have some of them be correct. You are not and wiser or better for having your guesses be right. Even a blind man can hit the bullseye.

Around the Network
Grimes said:

So because Sony is suing he, he is supposed to live like a monk until the case is resolved. It could take years, so he is supposed to put his life completely on hold indefinitely? He is supposed to spend every last penny of his savings on his legal defense, money he will never get back? Sounds a lot like punishment without even being convicted of anything.

There's always the city park.  How about a museum?  Dinner with friends?  Movies, everyone (almost) loves movies.  Theater or a concert can be nice.  Day trip to the next town over.  Take up painting or running.  Community charity work can strengthen his credibility and be very rewarding.  Nursing home.  The "abandoned" elderly needs someone to listen to them.  Help out at the Humaine Society, walk some dogs.  But a "monk?"  You said it, no one else here even implied it.

LivingMetal said:
Grimes said:

There's always the city park.  How about a museum?  Dinner with friends?  Movies, everyone (almost) loves movies.  Theater or a concert can be nice.  Day trip to the next town over.  Take up painting or running.  Community charity work can strengthen his credibility and be very rewarding.  Nursing home.  The "abandoned" elderly needs someone to listen to them.  Help out at the Humaine Society, walk some dogs.  But a "monk?"  You said it, no one else here even implied it.

If you want to make that choice then great for you. You have the choice. Being sued by a corporatioin shouldn't strip you of those choices.

Anyone can guess. It takes no effort to throw out lots of predictions and have some of them be correct. You are not and wiser or better for having your guesses be right. Even a blind man can hit the bullseye.

Grimes said:
LivingMetal said:
Grimes said:

If you want to make that choice then great for you. You have the choice. Being sued by a corporatioin shouldn't strip you of those choices.

Shit happens in life for whatever reasons, and then you have to change priorities.  And some people get sued by bringing things on themselves.  That will strip you of choices.  And still, no, he doesn't have to live as a monk as you have falsely perceived on others.

LivingMetal said:
Grimes said:

Shit happens in life for whatever reasons, and then you have to change priorities.  And some people get sued by bringing things on themselves.  That will strip you of choices.  And still, no, he doesn't have to live as a monk as you have falsely perceived on others.

I think you're taking what I said to literally. I'm not defending him, but I do think he has the right to take a vacation just like everybody else.

Around the Network
phinch1 said:
greenmedic88 said:

Update: The BBC reports that while Hotz is acknowledging he is in fact in South America, the trip was planned "for months" and that he remains in contact with his lawyers. On his blog, Hotz wrote:

Factually, it's true I'm in South America, on a vacation I've had planned and paid for since November. I mean, it is Spring break; hacking isn't my life.

Either BBC is doing their April Fool's jokes a week early and have Hotz in on the joke as well, or everyone can accept this story as confirmed. 

yes yes ive just read this on N4G and he also claims that he hasnt spent a dime of the donations on this holiday.........

bs

Have any proof to back up your claim or just your hate for Geohot? I mean I know he had absolutly no money before the donations for his lawyer right? How could he have paid for a vacation? Come on now

Grimes said:
LivingMetal said:
Grimes said:

I think you're taking what I said to literally. I'm not defending him, but I do think he has the right to take a vacation just like everybody else.

What you're trying to do is make everyone who is reasonably questioning Geohot's actions look bad by claiming that they are saying that he shouldn't "have the right" to go anywhere by being a "monk."  No, I'm (and anyone) not taking you literally.  You are interjecting unnecessary negativity to fuel a false argument.  When I reasonably refuted your tactic, you now make excuses.  And yes, he has the right to take a vacation.  But when you're financial situation changes for whatever reasons, you might have to reassess your priorities.

thranx said:
phinch1 said:
greenmedic88 said:

Update: The BBC reports that while Hotz is acknowledging he is in fact in South America, the trip was planned "for months" and that he remains in contact with his lawyers. On his blog, Hotz wrote:

Factually, it's true I'm in South America, on a vacation I've had planned and paid for since November. I mean, it is Spring break; hacking isn't my life.

Either BBC is doing their April Fool's jokes a week early and have Hotz in on the joke as well, or everyone can accept this story as confirmed. 

yes yes ive just read this on N4G and he also claims that he hasnt spent a dime of the donations on this holiday.........

bs

Have any proof to back up your claim or just your hate for Geohot? I mean I know he had absolutly no money before the donations for his lawyer right? How could he have paid for a vacation? Come on now

So the vacation is more important than financing his legal fees?  Donations or no donations, those legal fees need to be given higher financial priority over a vacation.

EDIT: Also, do you honestly think that everyone who honestly and reasonably believe that geohot is in the wrong, morally and legally, all hate him?

How daft can you be? The gist of the story, that geohot supposedly fled the country to "avoid procescution" (nonsense; this is a civil case) or to avoid having to or hand over evidence was a fabrication. Which makes the whole story bullshit. Plain and simple. Even Sony never claimed he did, which you would know if you had actually bothered to read Sony's document: http://docs.justia.com/cases/federal/district-courts/california/candce/3:2011cv00167/235965/103/0.pdf

Further reading: http://psx-scene.com/forums/f6/geohot-flees-south-america-83925/

But of course it's much simpler to post highly informed "opinions" for pages on end instead of spending a minute to check the facts. Which bringe me back here: http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=3973140

"The more you know."

"Well certainly with the Xbox 360, we had some challenges at the launch. Once we identified that we took control of it. We wanted to do it right by our customers. Our customers are very important to us." -Larry "Major Nelson" Hryb (10/2013). Note: RRoD was fixed with the Jasper-revision 3 years after the launch of 360

"People don't pay attention to a lot of the details."-Yusuf Mehdi explaining why Xbone DRM scheme would succeed

"Fortunately we have a product for people who aren't able to get some form of connectivity; it's called Xbox 360,”-Don Mattrick

"The region locking of the 3DS wasn't done for profits on games"-MDMAlliance

LivingMetal said:
thranx said:
phinch1 said:
greenmedic88 said:

bs

So the vacation is more important than financing his legal fees?  Donations or no donations, those legal fees need to be given higher financial priority over a vacation.

EDIT: Also, do you honestly think that everyone who honestly and reasonably believe that geohot is in the wrong, morally and legally, all hate him?

Sony fans? Most of them, as this thread shows.