By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Optimism, Pessimism or Realism

When reading the charts and making predictions do you see yourself as an Optimist, a Pessimist, or a Realist?

AND what do you think OTHERS may view you as?

I actually see myself as a Realist but realize that others see me as a dyed-in-the-wool Optimist. (possibly Delusional Optimist Hahaha)

Why do you think your worldview of the gaming market formed the way it did?

My view came from experience growing up with gaming observing and absorbing the happenings of the industry while having moments of Pessimism (yes I've doubted Nintendo before and was proven wrong hard which is why I follow their aims more tightly now).

Let's discuss how we formed our views of the industry and how we make these high-falutin' sales projections.

John Lucas 

Words from the Official VGChartz Idiot

WE ARE THE NATION...OF DOMINATION!

Around the Network

Its a tricky question, but I would have to say "realism" ( I think most people would answer that, as everyone tends to perceive their opinion/view as the correct one :>).

Gesta Non Verba

Nocturnal is helping companies get cheaper game ratings in Australia:

Game Assessment website

Wii code: 2263 4706 2910 1099

I think I touch a bit of all 3.  Life is always more than we know, it can always be better, or it can always be worse.  I go with what I feel is needed. :)

Nobody is crazy enough to accuse me of being sane.

My views are based on whatching the Industry and looking at trends from the past. I´d say I´m a realist and I really think if you say there are just 120 million consoles sold in 2011 I think you´re a pessimist.

I´m also looking at the steady growth of the market and so there HAS to be a company which sells about 100 million consoles this generation. And I say it is Nintendo not because I like them but because Microsoft and Sonys machines sell pretty bad. So not just fanboy behaviour or something...

I guess I'm a optimistic. My predictions are often based on the "best of the hypothetical situations", and overestimating the sales potential of the hardware. =D

It sounds good when you say "For the People", but what you really want is... a stronger army than the Knights, and the evil power to control the people.

(Ramza Beoulve, Final Fantasy Tactics)

Around the Network

I guess I'm a optimistic. My predictions are often based on the "best of the hypothetical situations", and overestimating the sales potential of the hardware. =D Maybe people see me as a optimistic, too.

It sounds good when you say "For the People", but what you really want is... a stronger army than the Knights, and the evil power to control the people.

(Ramza Beoulve, Final Fantasy Tactics)

@ johnlucas

Haha, well said... yes, you are really dyed-in-the-wool optimist when you're talking about Wii's future

I'd say I'm a realist with pretty strong inclination of trust and optimism regards Sony brand. I'll be the first one  to praise Nintendo if they provide something really impressive for core gamers though (ok, maybe not first but...)

Faith moves mountains !

i try to be realist but iam sometimes acting like an optimist

I think I'm a realist myself, I don't think any of my predictions or observations have been tainted with at least too much optimism/pessimism, as you may notice I tend to avoid predictions, particularly in this market it seems increasingly difficult to predict anything anymore, and I think most people here will notice their very own predictions changed drastically over the past year. For example I don't even think the Nintendo fans expected the Wii to be the success it's been. And with more games coming out it's really hard to say what will happen with any of the consoles. The only hardware I'd bet on at this point is the DS, but thats becuase it's proven itself already. I still haven't entirely written off the 360 in Japan. I'm hoping the release of Trusty Bell revives Blue Dragon sales and creates a more stable audience for the 360. But despite it being a long shot I wouldn't write it off entirely. So the most realistic impression of the future of gaming really is to be totally unsure of it.

I try to keep a level head when discussing sales and expectations.  Too many people forget that video games are all about having fun.  The 'war' is kind of stupid when you think about it.  Sure, it can be entertaining to debate the merits of your console of choice and its games with other people.  But at the end of the day, all of the major systems are going to have some great games and their share of losers.  And no matter how much you post, argue, or complain, it's unlikely that you're going to change someone else's mind on which system and its games are the best.  (If someone has hours to spend on here posting, then maybe their system isn't that much fun after all... :P)

So I'm a realist here for some fun debate while trying to avoid the fanboys.

Numbers are like people. Torture them enough and you can get them to say anything you want.

VGChartz Resident Thread Killer