By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Nintendo holding off till 2015, is that even possible?

So everyone no doubt has heard the recent rumour out of Microsoft and that is that the next X-Box will launch in 2015. Now if this rumour were true that would mean Microsoft and likely Sony would be holding off until 2015ish to launch their next gen consoles.

I of course predict Nintendo's next console will launch in 2012. But hypothetically speaking if Microsoft and Sony do actually wait till 2015 to launch their consoles. Could Nintendo even possibly not be the first to launch. Some have speculated recently that they thought Nintendo might hold off until the competition launches. People have said the Wii is still selling strong and no need to replace it.

But could the Wii last till 2015? Is it even logically possible? If Sony and Microsoft both hold off till 2015 what does that mean for Nintendo if they launch in 2012? Now that Microsoft's rumours have begun do you think Nintendo may be reconsidering a launch in 2012? Could 2015 actually be viable for a Wii2 launch? Would you want Nintendo to hold off until Microsoft and Sony make their move?

Discuss the possibilities and your thoughts on the next gen starting in 2015!

-JC7

"In God We Trust - In Games We Play " - Joel Reimer

Around the Network

Absolutely not. GCX4 will be out in 2012, at the least in Japan.

Galaki said:

Absolutely not. GCX4 will be out in 2012, at the least in Japan.

I agree, Nintendo's next console will launch in 2012. But since thats the case if Microsoft truly launches in 2015 what will that mean for Nintendo? Does that mean Nintendo will have a three year head start? If so when will Nintendo end the next generation will they end it in 2017 five years after its launch. or will Nintendo then hold out till PS4/Nex-Box die and end.

This could be a big turning point for Nintendo, it opens up a ton of possibilities. or will Microsoft launch in 2012-13 as I suspect they will?

-JC7

I highly doubt any of the game consoles could wait until 2015 to be replaced, especially if one of the companies releases a console in 2012.

IMO. Nintendo is just out of the loop from competing. They are now going for halfwaygen of MS/Sony.

Nintendo is at a great advantage in that, they can release a system that actuall do 1080P @ 60fps instead of the current half HD systems.

They won't be outdated neither since we aren't going anywhere beyond 1080P for a very very long while.

That means, even MS/Sony release their systems in 2015, they are still stuck with 1080P and cannot have the graphical advantage even they are 3 years late.

Around the Network
HappySqurriel said:

I highly doubt any of the game consoles could wait until 2015 to be replaced, especially if one of the companies releases a console in 2012.

Yah thats the way I see it. If Nintendo releases their next console in 2012. Microsoft and Sony will be forced to release by the end of 2013! I don't think Sony or Microsoft could keep their consoles alive and then compete in the next gen if they let Nintendo have a three year head start.

Honestly I think the rumours of 2015 are actually from Microsoft. I think letting consumers think that they aren't planning a new console any time soon will keep 360's sales up. They don't want consumers thinking that 360 is going to be replaced in 2012 or 13.

I'd like to know if anyone thinks Nintendo could last until 2015 and what benefits and negatives would come with that? of course I have my own ideas but I'd love to see someone elses!

-JC7

Galaki said:

IMO. Nintendo is just out of the loop from competing. They are now going for halfwaygen of MS/Sony.

Nintendo is at a great advantage in that, they can release a system that actuall do 1080P @ 60fps instead of the current half HD systems.

They won't be outdated neither since we aren't going anywhere beyond 1080P for a very very long while.

That means, even MS/Sony release their systems in 2015, they are still stuck with 1080P and cannot have the graphical advantage even they are 3 years late.

I think Nintendo won't go beyond 720P. 1080P@60fps would make the new Wii too expensive.

Galaki said:

There is another approach (that would be difficult to make work) that I thought about with Pachter's constant talk of the Wii HD ...

It is entirely possible to architect two systems so that the same game that plays at a resolution of 720p @30fps on one system will play at a resolution of 1080p @60fps on the second system. Obviously the second system will be more expensive, larger and use more energy but that shouldn't be a problem with this strategy. The idea is to release the 720p version initially and release the 1080p system 24 to 36 months later.

The strength of this strategy is that the visuals produced by modest hardware at 720p @30fps today will be difficult to surpass in just a couple of years with reasonably priced hardware if you boost your output to 1080p @60fps; which means that your system could release 'today' and still be very visually competitive with your competition's system released 2 to 3 years from now.

The weakness is (obviously) getting third party publishers to buy into the idea without convincing gamers to wait until the 'real' system is released.

If MS, Sony, or Nintendo wait till 2015 to release a console then console gaming is dead. By then PCs will be 50X more powerful. There is no way in hell they are waiting past 2013. If they are I will give up console gaming.

nikosx said:
Galaki said:

I think Nintendo won't go beyond 720P. 1080P@60fps would make the new Wii too expensive.

Miyamoto commented saying the next Nintendo console would be full HD. He never said 1080p but since both 360 and PS3 are doing it I doubt Nintendo would hold off. Also the price wouldn't be as high as you think, Nintendo has been spending like half a billion dollars in R&D every year since Wii launched. They are bound to have found a way to produce pretty next gen visuals at an offordable price.

I bet Nintendo could release a 1080p 60-fps console for 275.99$ the price Wii launched for in Canada. But don't forget Nintendo said they would provide an experiance not found on any current console and that it would make your jaw drop. So HD obviously isn't enough Nintendo must be up to something.

I was talking to the manager of my local EBGames and she said the managment at EBGames after she went to E3 last year. Is apparently pretty sure Nintendo is going to go for glasses free 3D on a regular TV. She said Nintendo experimented with it with Luigi's Mansion and that the technology is their.

Of course I don't think the manager of EBGames knows what she's talking about. But Nintendo will do something that revolutionary next gen. Also 3DS shows Nintendo may be willing to price future consoles alittle higher then they used too. But I'd still expect a lower price then the competition.

(Man I'm derailing my own thread lol) back on topic does anyone think Nintendo could hold out another 4-years?

-JC7