By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Microsoft Discussion - New Xbox in 2015?

EDIT : everbody relax:

http://www.vg247.com/2011/03/21/rumour-microsoft-designer-outs-new-xbox-hardware-for-2015/

Back to wondering then.  Or assuming Kow's mate knows something.

Original post below...

Probably a false clue but:

http://www.vg247.com/2011/03/21/rumour-microsoft-designer-outs-new-xbox-hardware-for-2015/

2014/2015 sounds right to me, given recent launch of Kinect, 360 probably peaking this year with prospect of a nice tail of sales and the fact games are still delicately balanced for costs vs return outside of a few AAA blockbusters.

I'd be happy with a new round of internet squabbling around 2015, but what say you?  Too long to wait?  Probably false info?  Agree?

Try to be reasonable... its easier than you think...

Around the Network

I've said for a while that the new Xbox (and the PS4) will be launching a long time from now.

I hope I'm right

2013/14 would be more believable.

PC gaming is better than console gaming. Always.     We are Anonymous, We are Legion    Kick-ass interview   Great Flash Series Here    Anime Ratings     Make and Play Please
Amazing discussion about being wrong
Official VGChartz Folding@Home Team #109453

kowenicki said:

2013 E3 announcement 2013 Nov launch.  Trust me

And remember.... I announced the 360S 1st and wayyy in advance.

A slim model was obvious though with the constant shrinking of the console's hardware. I almost wouldn't doubt they will have a 360SS if the hardware ever gets to 20nm.

PC gaming is better than console gaming. Always.     We are Anonymous, We are Legion    Kick-ass interview   Great Flash Series Here    Anime Ratings     Make and Play Please

ssj12 said:
kowenicki said:

A slim model was obvious though with the constant shrinking of the console's hardware. I almost wouldn't doubt they will have a 360SS if the hardware ever gets to 20nm.

No, kowenicki had a source inside MS that revealed they were working on new shells/casing for an updated 360.  He wasn't just stating the obvious. And most people seemed to doubt the 360 slim was even possible for various reasons.

OT:  I still say 2012/2013. That's already an extra 2-3 years over the normal generation length.  Expect to see next gen reveals starting early 2012!

Around the Network
kowenicki said:
ssj12 said:
kowenicki said:

It was obvious...?

Yet when I said I had heard from a senior MS development manager that they were testing "new forms" for the 360 people said:  Nah, how? where will the HDD go etc etc.

I wasn't one of those people. And I remember back in the day when the SNES got a redesign (actually im fairly sure the NES got one too) later in its life due to revisions in internal hardware. All consoles, but Xbox 1, had a console size reduction of some form. 

I'd be glad not to see the next generation start until that point, making this one as long as possible is definitely for the better I think.

I just really, really hope that the hardware manufacturers will focus on interface rather than power, and create biometric input, motion controls and what have you that can all be used together in a cohesive package.

ssj12 said:

2013/14 would be more believable.

I go with you !

Time to Work !

for a couple years now i expected both the xbox and ps3 to launch Christmas 2013, but know it seems it may be 2014 (still for both, i dont think sony wants to be stupid again and launch later).

2015 seems to far away

kowenicki said:
ssj12 said:
kowenicki said:
ssj12 said:
kowenicki said:

It was obvious...?

Yet when I said I had heard from a senior MS development manager that they were testing "new forms" for the 360 people said:  Nah, how? where will the HDD go etc etc.

I wasn't one of those people. And I remember back in the day when the SNES got a redesign (actually im fairly sure the NES got one too) later in its life due to revisions in internal hardware. All consoles, but Xbox 1, had a console size reduction of some form. 

I cant spell this out any more clearly for you can I.   Sure it was likely, but I didnt guess back then... I was told... so...

Congrats. And I know what you said. But really, it doesn't matter if you got told the information or got an official document printed in big letters stating that they were working on it. I predicted a 360slim back when I worked for PlayStation Universe a few months before the PS3 launched when we were having staff discussions about the upcoming console war. It was obvious it would happen eventually. What drove me to the prediction? contracts for R&D to shrink the Xenos and Xenon.

No console manufacturer would have an ever shrinking motherboard and keep it in a shell that could fit two of them. Microsoft was having heating issues at first, so they couldn't jump till they had a cool enough dye, but once they did (45nm?) they did. The major benefit for a slim/small console is cost cutting so of course any manufacturer in their right mind would aim for a smaller model eventually. The only reason Microsoft couldnt do the same with the original xbox was because Nvidia refused to R&D a smaller gpu.