By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Sales gap by year between PS3 and XBOX 360.

Was bored so i decided to do a gap by year comparison between the consoles, i originally had all 3 current gen consoles involved, but as you all know wii ran away with the show early, so i decided to do a gap between the two most heated consoles, the ps3 and the xbox 360. 

We all know we got a long way to go with these consoles, this year promises to be big for ps3, and i believe xbox 360 is gonna be sneaky this  year, just waite for E3, this year may offer price cuts, new kinect and move games, exclusives like uncharted 3 and gears of war 3. 

And i wont forget you nintendo fans. theres alot of promise left this year, E3 may offer blueprints for your next console.  And who can forget Zelda, not me, thats a day one buy for me. 

But as far i care with consoles id love to see all the consoles sell a 100 million, cause i have all the console and love each one for there quality

Ever hear the saying, nobodys perfect, well no console is perfect, i love each console for features as much as i despise consoles for failures they have

Enjoy your consoles, cause we are all alike, we belong to gaming, now heres the gaps between ps3 and 360. Wii can sit back and relax for now

Xbox 360 started with a 5,164,286 console lead in November 2006, when the ps3 was released.  So im gonna pick it up with march to match this month

march 10th, 2007 XBOX 360 9,013,814

PS3 2,032,693         -6,981,121

(xbox increased lead by 1,816,835)

march 8th, 2008   XBOX 360 17,025,343

PS3 10,685,770       -6,339,573

(ps3 gained back 641,548)

March 7th, 2009   XBOX 360 28,264,248

PS3 20,359,278       -7,904,970

(XBOX increased lead by 1,565,397)

March 6th, 2010   XBOX 360 38,401,470

PS3 34,184,983      -4,216,487

(Ps3 gains back  3,688,483)

March 5th, 2011    XBOX 360 52,309,090      

PS3 48,461,573     -3,847,517

(Ps3 gains back 368,970)

So the end result is that the ps3 is slowly eating into the lead of the 360, but very slowly. This year is gonna decide if sony can catch microsoft.

I for one hope sony does, cause i believe that sony and microsoft will push marketing and advertisement alittle more, and may help into the next generation the only disadvantage of ps3 catching the 360 is the 360 fans vs ps3 fans haha, you think its bad now just waite. 

But on the ending note what happens between these consoles happens, as long as i get the games i love im gonna be happy... Im expressing my opinions here so flaming me for something stupid wont affect me haha... 

So heres a few questions i have for you guys

1. Will ps3 ever catch or pass 360?? 

2. will 360 or ps3 catch wii??

3. if you were the head of nintendo, sony, or microsoft, what would you have done different on your console since launch??

4. last but not least, with any console what do you feel the company did or executed perfectly??? 

Thanks guys and please dont forget to donate to the japan relief fund, even if its 10 dollars, every dollar counts, for america heres the site

http://www.worldvision.org/content.nsf/pages/japan-hea-2011-eappeal-pg4?open&campaign=113655219

Around the Network

1. Will ps3 ever catch or pass 360??  Pass 360 when 720 is announced/is out. Sometime in 2012 or 2013. It will be a mute point for 360 fans and Sony fans will celebrate in the streets when it happens. MS is already hiring for next gen purposes so I won't care when it happens lol.

2. will 360 or ps3 catch wii?? Never.

3. if you were the head of nintendo, sony, or microsoft, what would you have done different on your console since launch?? Microsoft - Make the console more durable, and get better first party AAA games.

4. last but not least, with any console what do you feel the company did or executed perfectly??? 

Nintendo has made their best system ever in terms of sales and appeal to casuals. Bravo for Nintendo winning this gen.

Thanks guys and please dont forget to donate to the japan relief fund, even if its 10 dollars, every dollar counts, for america heres the site

http://www.worldvision.org/content.nsf/pages/japan-hea-2011-eappeal-pg4?open&campaign=113655219

Arksys is also matching $ spent so I bought 999 for the DS along with donating $10.

It's just that simple.

MonstaMack said:

1. Will ps3 ever catch or pass 360??  Pass 360 when 720 is announced/is out. Sometime in 2012 or 2013. It will be a mute point for 360 fans and Sony fans will celebrate in the streets when it happens. MS is already hiring for next gen purposes so I won't care when it happens lol.

2. will 360 or ps3 catch wii?? Never.

3. if you were the head of nintendo, sony, or microsoft, what would you have done different on your console since launch?? Microsoft - Make the console more durable, and get better first party AAA games.

Nintendo has made their best system ever in terms of sales and appeal to casuals. Bravo for Nintendo winning this gen.

Arksys is also matching $ spent so I bought 999 for the DS along with donating $10.

Good job man and thanks for putting that source up. 

Monsta Mack - herp derp.

Oh I forgot to put up the Arksys source 
http://www.aksysgames.com/2011/03/16/japan-benefit-sale/

Sale isn't lasting forever. Buy 999 and support Japan at the same time! Good deal, they also have BlazBlue and other games. Don't think they ship free outside the US but they do inside.

It's just that simple.

1. Yes. But it will take time. Last year is a good example, Microsoft presented their Slim model, big price cut to go along, their biggest exclusive with Halo Reach came out and they launch Kinect which has been vastly more successful early on then move. On the other hand sony had no price cut, no hardware revision, a less successful new peripheral however they did get their biggest exclusive too in the form of GT5. God of War 3 is no to be forgotten either. Comparing the two it seems obvious Microsoft had the advantage and despite all this Sony sold about 800k more consoles. So yes i think PS3 will catch up but not this year. It will continue to be a slow process.

2. Not before Nintendo launches the Wii' successor. When Nintendo does launch in the next 2 years and if they stop production of the Wii then maybe within 4 or 5 years Sony has a shot.

3. For Microsoft i would have try a bit harder to not launch a ticking time bomb like the first 2 years worth of X360 were. For Sony, introducing Trophies sooner and keep backward compatibility. For Nintendo find a way to have some decent third party support for the Wii because right now if you have a wii and don't like nintendo's games your options are limited. Decent online wouldn't hurt either.

4. Sony and their first party company created some truly outstanding and varied games this gen. They got shooters, action, platformer, racing, sandbox, and whatever category Heavy Rain falls in covered.

Nintendo went from dead in the home console market to a dominant first place so they definitely did stuff right, mainly providing an alternative to traditional games. If you weren't into gaming before in the PS2/Xbox/Gamecube era the PS3 and 360 surely didn't change your mind But maybe looking at what nintendo offered did.

Kinect sure is different and again offers an alternative to anything else on the market. It surprising that sony didn't go this way since they did came up with the basic conpect first with the Eye Toy but in the end what matters is variety and Microsoft got that now.

Around the Network
MonstaMack said:

Monsta Mack - herp derp.

Oh I forgot to put up the Arksys source 
http://www.aksysgames.com/2011/03/16/japan-benefit-sale/

Sale isn't lasting forever. Buy 999 and support Japan at the same time! Good deal, they also have BlazBlue and other games. Don't think they ship free outside the US but they do inside.

Thanks man, i just bought world cup of pool for ds..... Just to help

Pr1mus said:

1. Yes. But it will take time. Last year is a good example, Microsoft presented their Slim model, big price cut to go along, their biggest exclusive with Halo Reach came out and they launch Kinect which has been vastly more successful early on then move. On the other hand sony had no price cut, no hardware revision, a less successful new peripheral however they did get their biggest exclusive too in the form of GT5. God of War 3 is no to be forgotten either. Comparing the two it seems obvious Microsoft had the advantage and despite all this Sony sold about 800k more consoles. So yes i think PS3 will catch up but not this year. It will continue to be a slow process.

2. Not before Nintendo launches the Wii' successor. When Nintendo does launch in the next 2 years and if they stop production of the Wii then maybe within 4 or 5 years Sony has a shot.

3. For Microsoft i would have try a bit harder to not launch a ticking time bomb like the first 2 years worth of X360 were. For Sony, introducing Trophies sooner and keep backward compatibility. For Nintendo find a way to have some decent third party support for the Wii because right now if you have a wii and don't like nintendo's games your options are limited. Decent online wouldn't hurt either.

4. Sony and their first party company created some truly outstanding and varied games this gen. They got shooters, action, platformer, racing, sandbox, and whatever category Heavy Rain falls in covered.

Nintendo went from dead in the home console market to a dominant first place so they definitely did stuff right, mainly providing an alternative to traditional games. If you weren't into gaming before in the PS2/Xbox/Gamecube era the PS3 and 360 surely didn't change your mind But maybe looking at what nintendo offered did.

Kinect sure is different and again offers an alternative to anything else on the market. It surprising that sony didn't go this way since they did came up with the basic conpect first with the Eye Toy but in the end what matters is variety and Microsoft got that now.

There isnt a thing i disagreed with there, very good points made. Its like you read my mind hahaha

1. Will ps3 ever catch or pass 360?? 

2. will 360 or ps3 catch wii??

3. if you were the head of nintendo, sony, or microsoft, what would you have done different on your console since launch??

1. I feel that the only way the PS3 can catch up to the 360 is with MOVE. They need to crush kinect. Once they do that, the ps3 can easily catch up. They need to bring in some serious software for the move and i just don't see it. What it does is that they are just letting kinect eat away at ps3 sales in Americas. The 360 just needs some big kinect titles and boom, the ps3 might never catch up. Luckily for sony, they have not even remotley done this. I have seen no huge software coming for kinect and it just feels like both companies are missing huge oppertunities with the motion controls. Its the only thing that increase hardware sales at this point, kinect has proven that.

2. Seperately, hell to the no. Its too far away, even with the slide in sales it will take either HD system years. And thats if Nintendo doesn't bring out a WII HD (which they probably will).

3. Sony - I would have created a ps3 with small harddrive for cheap like the arcade. Price really hit them hard. Otherwise, they did a fantastic job given the circumstances. 

Microsoft - Nothing. Microsoft has played this generation perfectly. Taking Sony by storm, stealing sales with kinect, the arcarde, online, it was all great. Truly showed not to underestimate the newby (like sony once did). Even with the RROD epedemic they still managed to tightly close that hole and stay ahead of Sony

Nintendo - I would have gotten bigger third party support and really helped them out with getting third party sales higher. It would have really stolen away major sales from the HD consoles. Honestly, thier third party is close to the worst i have seen. Otherwise, they be balling. They hit a whole new audience for gaming and it paid off.

4. I suppose my #3 answered #4

All ps3 needs now is the $199 price point and its all over....3.8m and decreasing even after the "huge" kinect and slim combo last year.

PS3 will be behind 360 by less than 2 million at December 31, 2011.

PS3 overtakes the 360 around September 30, 2012. 

360 will beat the PS3 to 60 million and 65 million sales. PS3 should reach 70 million sales before the XBox 360. 

Both PS3 and 360 are priced at mass market retail sales prices that will continue to decrease over time. Console bundles or bigger HDDs could be included as well as small price cuts.