By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - PC Discussion - PC gaming is dead-- long live PC gaming

twesterm said:

Sorry for the late reply, been dreading reading and taking the time to respond to a long post (and I sometimes lost interest when I don't post in a thread for a while...)

Anyways!

Game development costs haven't risen because it's focused on consoles, it has risen because more is expected of developers.  You could actually argue that consoles are keeping costs down since if we were developing only for PC we would constantly have more and more powerful hardware to deal with and have to create better and better.

Yes, the industry is in a shaky place at the moment, but that really has nothing to do with PC or console gaming. 

I don't know if quality overall has fallen, it's just that right now games are a big risk and taking a leap of faith in game is big risk.  You can either make something original and out there or you can build what you know will sell.  You call things like Call of Duty the lowest common denominator because it's easy and that's fine, but it also allows more people to get into games.  I don't really like it either way, but it's what people like and it sells.    I'm really not sure what the complaint is.  I'm sure if it was shit-in-a-box and it sold bazillions I could see getting upset over it, but like it or not, it's a quality game that people want.

Costs are really high right now because some games just have infinite budgets and have set the bar unrealistacally high.  Killzone 3, FFXIII, and Gran Turismo 5 are great examples.  I won't say a word about their gameplay but just look at the games.  These all had infinite budgets where the developer got to take all the time they needed to make their game as good as possible (or at least as good looking as possible).  They release and they blow people away because they look amazing.

Now, every game must live up to those which most developers just can't do, or more specifically, they can't do with their budget, or even more specifically, they can't do with their budget and make something completely original.  That isn't the fault of consoles or PC gaming, that's just humans being visual beings.  If you look at two similar games side-by-side, you're going to take the one that looks better.

But I digress, that really has nothing to do with the topic.

What does tl;dr mean?

tl;dr means too long; didn't read, in case you didnt want to read the entire wall.

As I said before, I overwhelmingly agree. However there were such big jumps in gaming before as well. All of the sudden you didn't have a studio of 5 making Pac Man, you had a studio of 15 making Sonic, or Mario, or w/e. So there have been incrreases in budgets and everything every time gens would increment. Funny though, since there are no generatoins on the PC, the only people who pushed the envelope were the ones who could afford it. There never was the pressure to look like all the other games there is now. Hell, Civ 3 never came close to looking like any of the UTs, Quakes, etc. Because it didn't need to. Deus Ex as well, it didn't push the envelope on the graphics, it let someone else do so. Basically, with the PC the only ones who have a huge ne technology shiny games are the ones that have the budget to do so. With consoles everyone is forced to meet the basic graphic levels, which increases costs on games which shouldn't cost so much. Also don't forget all the marketing and thiings people spend, wasn't MW2 with a $150mil marketing budget, and only cost $50 to make?

As I said, theoretically all your points are correct, but for one reason or another, realistically you are completely wrong. I don't know why, I can jsut see that since 2005/6 when consoles became more pronounced and tried to get more PC games on them, the industry has been getting screwed.

Tag(thx fkusumot) - "Yet again I completely fail to see your point..."

HD vs Wii, PC vs HD: http://www.vgchartz.com/forum/thread.php?id=93374

Why Regenerating Health is a crap game mechanic: http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=3986420

gamrReview's broken review scores: http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=4170835

Around the Network

@vlad321  can you tell me about these actual PC games. Because last time i checked COD was a PC game and now its dominant on the consoles and there are more FPSs on Consoles than there have ever been. So what are these FPSs that are on PC and not on consoles. Strategy games can and have been done on consoles (Ruse) being one. RPGS??? Last time i checked i didnt see alot of JRPGS on the PC or do those not count. and if your talking WRPGS your big ones (Fallouts, oblivions, MEs) are on consoles. IMHO there is no genre that is on PC that cant be covered on the Consoles. sure i can see how some games might suffer in translation but you still get the basic game anyway

oniyide said:

@vlad321  can you tell me about these actual PC games. Because last time i checked COD was a PC game and now its dominant on the consoles and there are more FPSs on Consoles than there have ever been. So what are these FPSs that are on PC and not on consoles. Strategy games can and have been done on consoles (Ruse) being one. RPGS??? Last time i checked i didnt see alot of JRPGS on the PC or do those not count. and if your talking WRPGS your big ones (Fallouts, oblivions, MEs) are on consoles. IMHO there is no genre that is on PC that cant be covered on the Consoles. sure i can see how some games might suffer in translation but you still get the basic game anyway

COD is a slow game, and I find it interesting how big of a name it got once it went on consoles because it was just ok back when the series was on PC. You CAN'T do any FPS games which are fastpaced simply because the analog sticks are slow. Penny Arcade even had a guest writer who explained this more mathematically when he talked about MNC (free weekend on steam now, interesting game). He explained why many mechanics that work on consoles just can't happen on the PC. It's because the PC is capable of so much more control that the mechanics the console games have to try and make up for it are basically what hacks are for the PC.

Fallout, Obliovion, and ME, are not in-depth RPGs. DAO is the closest thing in recent consoles have to a deep RPG and it was pretty because you couldn't control it well. Try any MMORPG, or anytihng in the vein of NWN/BG2 and Diablo 2. They just can't happen with analog sticks.

Also don't even start me on the Strategy games. They are impossible on the consoles. Halo was the best attempt at an RTS and as far as RTS games go it was pretty bland and mediocre. Again, because of the limitations of the controller.

You just can't get the experience of any of those on a console. If you remember, UT3 was 33% slower on the console version than the PC exactly because of that. There are limitations, and many changes to mechanics had to be made to shoehorn some types of games on the limiting analog sticks.

Why Regenerating Health is a crap game mechanic: http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=3986420

gamrReview's broken review scores: http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=4170835

^^^those are all your opinions. THe fact of the matter is that there is no genre on PC that does not have a console equivalent in some way. The analog sticks are slow??? OK ill give you that, but your acting like COD on PC is a completly different game than console COD there all FPSs no matter how inferior you think the analogs are. Dragon Age was in depth but not Fallout or ME, i disagree. I hate MMORPGs but i played FF11 on PS2 years ago I didnt have a problem. Diablo 3 is coming to consoles so lets see how that does.

oniyide said:

^^^those are all your opinions. THe fact of the matter is that there is no genre on PC that does not have a console equivalent in some way. The analog sticks are slow??? OK ill give you that, but your acting like COD on PC is a completly different game than console COD there all FPSs no matter how inferior you think the analogs are. Dragon Age was in depth but not Fallout or ME, i disagree. I hate MMORPGs but i played FF11 on PS2 years ago I didnt have a problem. Diablo 3 is coming to consoles so lets see how that does.

How is it an opinon that the analog stick cannot respond as quickly as a mouse? How is it an opinoin that a keyboard has many times more buttons than a controller? How is it an opinion that you can't have a game which requires 12 keys because a controller that doesn't have them? Or that you can't have a game which is faster than how fast the analog sticks react? Do tell me, because I am curious how these facts are opinions.

Any game that requried any of those, had to be ismplified to fit the restrictoins, that's just how it is. RPGs, Startegy, and FPSes are among those that relied heavily upon both those factors, and when you reduced ability to control them you had to alternate mechanics so that it woudl fit the limitation of the hardware.

Edit: Here you go, the words of a developer on the concessions that have to be made on consoles because they don't handle as well as PCs when it comes to FPSes:

http://www.penny-arcade.com/2011/1/24/new-world-record/

My favorite quote is : "PC players long for a game that they can play on a PC versus people playing on a console just for the pwnage of console newbie meat."  It's funny because it's true.

Around the Network

huzzah I now have 30 devices that can do what my PC can do.....terribly

@vlad321  im not disputing those facts, what i was trying to say is that FPSs and RTS and RPGs have all appeared on consoles for years now. Im curious to know what are these "true" PC games that cant be done on the consoles. FPSs is the only thing that i can think of that loses something in the translation from PC 2 consoles because of analogs. but i played DAO didnt have an, played Ruse on PS3, didnt have an issue, played FF11 didnt have an issue. Some people act like the content changes between the different versions. and fighters suck for PC unless you buy a joypad of some kind

goforgold said:

huzzah I now have 30 devices that can do what my PC can do.....terribly

and how old, and cheap, was your computer?

PC gaming is better than console gaming. Always.     We are Anonymous, We are Legion    Kick-ass interview   Great Flash Series Here    Anime Ratings     Make and Play Please
Amazing discussion about being wrong
Official VGChartz Folding@Home Team #109453

oniyide said:

@vlad321  im not disputing those facts, what i was trying to say is that FPSs and RTS and RPGs have all appeared on consoles for years now. Im curious to know what are these "true" PC games that cant be done on the consoles. FPSs is the only thing that i can think of that loses something in the translation from PC 2 consoles because of analogs. but i played DAO didnt have an, played Ruse on PS3, didnt have an issue, played FF11 didnt have an issue. Some people act like the content changes between the different versions. and fighters suck for PC unless you buy a joypad of some kind

The consoels didn't even HAVE a tactical camera in DAO. How can you say it didn't lose anyting? Strategy games lose absolutely everythign as well, hotkeys, quick mouse movements, etc. You have been playing games that have had allt he mechanics that are implemented/improved for console play. Those mechanics are very limited compared to what they are on the PC.

Also I hate to bring it up to you but FF11 controlled terribly with a controller. I mean hell, FF14 was pretty terrible even with a KB/M because it was made for controllers as well. Basically, interfacing with MMORPGs sucks when using a controller. And yes, fighters and platformers do suck on the PC without a controller, just like the above mentioned genres without a KB/M on your console.

^^^ ill take your word on DOA i played it and didnt have any issues, but i have never played the PC version. But FF11 thats your opinion, my opinion was that I didnt have a problem with the controls at all. 14 was made with console in mind so one would think that when the PS3 version comes(if it does) it will be alright