By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - So, have YOU donated to the Japanese relief effort yet?

Xen said:

I created this thread for people interested in donating, not for you to debate overpopulation/decreasing population, who's more entitled for donation money, and so on. Take it to your walls, please.

Then you shouldn't have asked the question in your title. Those people are just answering it and saying why they don't donate.

Around the Network
Xen said:

I created this thread for people interested in donating, not for you to debate overpopulation/decreasing population, who's more entitled for donation money, and so on. Take it to your walls, please.

Well I gotta say derailing is bound to happen with most threads. Sorry if I played much of a part in derailing your thread. But the majority of these debates happened as a direct result of the OP. People came up with excuses not to donate and rather then stand by and let those excuses stand, a few of us defended the integrity of users donating. I'm sure many people will still post based on the OP. But you can't expect VGChartz members to sit back and watch fellow members trash the integrity of those donating.

-JC7

"In God We Trust - In Games We Play " - Joel Reimer

i am also to point out that alot of you are americans and sure Japan is in very bad state but really you should be donating to the bad state your own people are in.  So many poor. 

Of Course That's Just My Opinion, I Could Be Wrong

The Ghost of RubangB said:

You should never give money to Red Cross.  They give donations directly to their volunteers to party, buy booze, and buy video games.  And in the aftermath of 9/11, they were so "confused" and didn't know who needed "relief" that they started "randomly" and "accidentally" handing out money to rich New Yorkers that were completely unaffected.  Donate ANYWHERE else.  Donate EVERYWHERE else.

Here you can donate to other charities through PayPal, and they'll cover 100% of the processing fees: https://www.paypal-donations.com/pp-charity/web.us/campaign.jsp?cid=-12

even countries donating to countries dont end up where they should. Australia gave millions to indonesion after 2004 tsunami and they spent it on ex russian fighter planes, good job australia. 

Of Course That's Just My Opinion, I Could Be Wrong

fighter said:
Khuutra said:
fighter said:

Haiti & Palestinia & the many other countries who actually need money say hello

BTW - nice to see double-standards in action - and when going to Japan - do give them 50 bucks face to face just to feel your own stupidity in it's purest form...

If it makes you feel better, this money is going to organizations like the Red Cross, not Japan.

Japan has not requested any foreign aid, most likely never will during the course of this disaster, and all funds donated will go to countries that are actually in greater need of foreign aid.

People should donate - they absolutely should - but they should also know where their money is going.

thank you for that particularly moot point

Actually, at least here the point is incorrect. If you donate for a specific cause, e.g. write "for japan" on it, then the money can only be used for Japan.

Any message from Faxanadu is written in good faith but shall neither be binding nor construed as constituting a commitment by Faxanadu except where provided for in a written agreement signed by an authorized representative of Faxanadu. This message is intended for the use of the forum members only.

The views expressed here may be personal and/or offensive and are not necessarily the views of Faxanadu.

Around the Network
mchaza said:
The Ghost of RubangB said:

You should never give money to Red Cross.  They give donations directly to their volunteers to party, buy booze, and buy video games.  And in the aftermath of 9/11, they were so "confused" and didn't know who needed "relief" that they started "randomly" and "accidentally" handing out money to rich New Yorkers that were completely unaffected.  Donate ANYWHERE else.  Donate EVERYWHERE else.

Here you can donate to other charities through PayPal, and they'll cover 100% of the processing fees: https://www.paypal-donations.com/pp-charity/web.us/campaign.jsp?cid=-12

even countries donating to countries dont end up where they should. Australia gave millions to indonesion after 2004 tsunami and they spent it on ex russian fighter planes, good job australia. 

Your telling me that the Red Cross or another aid organisation bought Ex Russian Fighter jets with the aid money Australian's donated to Indonesia? Ummm what does the Red Cross need fighter jets for? Do you mean Australian Government aid money was spent on fighter jets rather then going to Indonesia? That is plausable. But I would love to see a source saying aid money meant for Indonesia actually went to purchasing fighter jets. And like I said even if the Australian Government did that with its own money market for Indonesia that still doesn't mean we shouldn't donate to the RedCross or other organisations.

-JC7

"In God We Trust - In Games We Play " - Joel Reimer

Kennyheart said:

I plan to donate blood monday.

Good idea. I forget to donate blood sometimes. I have not donated yet. I was planning on asking my boss today who donates through so I can research them. I always worry when I donate money that not a large enough portion of it actually goes to help people so I want to choose the right organiztion to donate through

Narishma said:
Xen said:

Then you shouldn't have asked the question in your title. Those people are just answering it and saying why they don't donate.

It's, to be honest, meant to pull people in with that headline. But I guess you know that.

@Joel: Eh, it's fine as long as you don't descend into heartless logic.

Lafiel said:

dahuman said:

I don't really donate to these things since there are like, 7 billion people in the world atm, every person I save is going to potentially fuck me over in the long run when it comes to food resources in the future. Now's not really the right time to be saving lives, my own included. I'd totally donate if the world population is about 1/50th of the current size, though even that number is questionable tbh.

Well, I personally believe the world is very overpopulated as well, but in my opinion the context of a catastrophe isn't the right place to discuss that and my personal method of choice to decrease the population size would be a rigorous birth control and not letting people die, which frankly doesn't seem all that "humane" (to refer to your nick).

Onibaka said:

Our world is not overpopulated in any way...We have technologies and conditions to give water and food to more than 15billion EASILY, TODAY.

The problem is our society.

If USA invested 1/10 of what spends in war on technologies to increase food productivity, and if poor countries instead of exporting all their food, at least give their population a little, there would not be hungry.

with the development of technology, I believe that our world would support more than 50 billion people.

----------------

back on topic:

One thing that i will never do in my life is donate to japan. No matter what country you are, if you want to find people to help that much, just walk to the corner on the street.

I can't believe how ignorant and naive this comment is..

Sure if the get rid of all those pesky wild animals and cultivate every landscape (i.e. make "use" of those "useless" forests and swamps and so on), that may be possible as long as we are in a climate optimum.

But the climate _will_ change, there never was a point in earth history where climate was constant and right now we are in a short warm period (former warm periods were 10-15k years on average) within an ice house climate (ice ages on average were 70-100k y long within the last 2.6m years).

Now if the climate changes (to a new ice age or to a hot house climate) we will have far less agricultural production, so if we had 15 or 50 (lol) billion people living on earth in that situation what do you think will happen? I can tell you.. unbelievable hunger, huge wars for water resources/fertile land, billions of people will die within some years/decades and the wars will destroy a lot of the enviroment.

It's absolutely not in humankinds best interest to use/populate earth to it's maximum capacity, we need to find a sensible max of human population, which I'm afraid already is exceeded.

By the way, "poor" countries don't produce enough food to feed their people (nearly all of them have to import food from the west, ofc especially during droughts and so on), they produce a lot of "cash crops", because in the rich countries we want chocolade, peanuts, cotton, coffee,... (and we want all that for very cheap prices). These plants don't qualify as "food", as they use a hell of lot of water for a minimal (consumable) energy output. But to clean/desalinate water we need to invest much (electric) energy as well.

Governments in poor countries don't even have the choice to tell their people to do otherwise, as there is a lot of pressure to go on doing so/produce even more export orientated agricultural products to pay off their depts (which we made sure they can't).

I complained about "dahuman" 's nick, but "baka" in yours might be justifiable.

that method works too and is practiced by some countries, yet the world population is increasing because it's impossible to get the entire world with the program. my best interest is in human survival as a race, the more people there are atm before we can hit the actual space age which is who knows how long and far away, the worse off we are atm being stuck on earth. either way is humane imo, it's the matter of whether you are uh, nice or not about it. birth control with disasters are both good. It would be a much bigger deal if we had lesser people on the planet, in which case I'd not only donate money, I'd do volunteer work over seas to save more lives.

Everyone is in panic and talks about donating....Except the Japanese theirself...

This cartoon nailed my views about it.