By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - So, have YOU donated to the Japanese relief effort yet?

Nah I probably won't donate to Japan. I wish Japan the best but there's other causes out there that I have higher in my priorities. 

Around the Network
Lostplanet22 said:

Everyone is in panic and talks about donating....Except the Japanese theirself...

This cartoon nailed my views about it.

I say blame the media.  An earthquake followed by a tsunami and a nuclear disaster is rather spectacular. Africans dying at a steady pace is not. Public likes spectacle and government wanna look good with the public.

I finally got to through my college today.

fighter said:
Icyedge said:
fighter said:

Haiti & Palestinia & the many other countries who actually need money say hello

BTW - nice to see double-standards in action - and when going to Japan - do give them 50 bucks face to face just to feel your own stupidity in it's purest form...

In case you didnt get it, the manpower and material of multiple countries and organisations will provide more help in a short period of time then any money japan could invest.

In case you didn't get it : other people (think billions) could make a better use of it that money.

Japan is one of the wealthiest countries and has one of the best system of solidarity.

Giving them money is like giving 50 bucks to a business man who tripped when a kid is dying 3 feet away.

This.

It's just too cool for school to be donating to Japan. Can't remember seeing such a thing for Palestine? That's been going on for ooohh I know at least 50 years. Sure it's a disaster, but a completely unavoidable natural disaster. Money isn't going to help here, the government has good infrastructure. They have the means to sort this out over time. Your donation...

1. Won't bring people back to life

2. Won't go to building new homes (these people are insured you know)

So where is it going? More to the point why didn't any of you donate before the Tsunamiquake, as you all seem so vehermently charitable now.

You're donation isn't going to help ANYONE on the street in japen. Don't get me wrong, I'm no tight arse, I've done more charity work than most people, done over a year in voluntry work for british heart foundation - just to be clear, not showing off couldn't really care less but just to avoid any stupid reply to this post.

buglebum said:
fighter said:
Icyedge said:
fighter said:

BTW - nice to see double-standards in action - and when going to Japan - do give them 50 bucks face to face just to feel your own stupidity in it's purest form...

In case you didnt get it, the manpower and material of multiple countries and organisations will provide more help in a short period of time then any money japan could invest.

In case you didn't get it : other people (think billions) could make a better use of it that money.

Japan is one of the wealthiest countries and has one of the best system of solidarity.

Giving them money is like giving 50 bucks to a business man who tripped when a kid is dying 3 feet away.

This.

It's just too cool for school to be donating to Japan. Can't remember seeing such a thing for Palestine? That's been going on for ooohh I know at least 50 years. Sure it's a disaster, but a completely unavoidable natural disaster. Money isn't going to help here, the government has good infrastructure. They have the means to sort this out over time. Your donation...

So where is it going? More to the point why didn't any of you donate before the Tsunamiquake, as you all seem so vehermently charitable now.

You're donation isn't going to help ANYONE on the street in japen. Don't get me wrong, I'm no tight arse, I've done more charity work than most people, done over a year in voluntry work for british heart foundation - just to be clear, not showing off couldn't really care less but just to avoid any stupid reply to this post.

IM sure many have. I have and I have done a lot of volunteer work for my local Salvation Army. Doesnt matter the cause,If you are doing something that will help a fellow human being.

Around the Network
non-gravity said:
Lostplanet22 said:

Everyone is in panic and talks about donating....Except the Japanese theirself...

This cartoon nailed my views about it.

I say blame the media.  An earthquake followed by a tsunami and a nuclear disaster is rather spectacular. Africans dying at a steady pace is not. Public likes spectacle and government wanna look good with the public.

Damn well put!

I don't blame the media, I blame stupid people who can't differentiate between a cause that needs their money and an unavoidable natural disaster that a country can resolve themselves. There's a few in this thread who take offence at posts like mine. Those are them! Too wrapped up in the donation bandwagon to think for themselves and you can bet they never donate to charity on a regular basis. Just the big exciting things they thought were interesting on the news.

Games4Fun said:
buglebum said:
fighter said:
Icyedge said:
fighter said:

This.

IM sure many have. I have and I have done a lot of volunteer work for my local Salvation Army

Fair enough, it's just that I've never seen such threads on here before in the past 4 years, now suddenly there's this urgency in people's posts here. And as someone has already pointed out, there are far more needy charitable causes - even now.

buglebum said:
Games4Fun said:
buglebum said:
fighter said:
Icyedge said:
fighter said:

This.

IM sure many have. I have and I have done a lot of volunteer work for my local Salvation Army

Fair enough, it's just that I've never seen such threads on here before in the past 4 years, now suddenly there's this urgency in people's posts here. And as someone has already pointed out, there are far more needy charitable causes - even now.

It probably just because this is a gaming site and Japan is a huge part of that. Everyone on this board knows about big events in Japan. Where as say Africa we hear little to nothing about ever.

Ever heard of the youtuber nigahiga? Yeah that guy who is pretty much the most popular guy on youtube, has a special video. Now I understand this might be spam, but it wouldn't hurt so if you watched this video it can help.

:)

Some of you have made good points for and against sending money to Japan.

Due to it's close links with Japan (many of our clients are Japanese electronic firms but no, not Nintendo or Sony) we are helping out. My company is also actively doing charity work in africa and asia and I see the results of it. Work that I help pay for.

But you know what? Some of you need to take a step back.

It's not your money that is being sent to japan and you have no right to tell others what to do with theirs. They work for it and how they choose to spend or give it is no one else's concern .. apart from the wife or steady girlfriend (or otherwise) of course. Most are aware of the problems in sending money to Africa etc., they know most of it is corrupted off to someone's pocket.

So if I choose to give my money towards aiding japan, or africa, or even the bloody Klingons that's my concern, regardless of what they do with it. if I choose not to, it's still my concern. It has nothing to do with anyone else.