By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - new Lair pics/vido/info relese date

your mother said:

"Are you trying to say Gears of War is manure?  I'm not sure what you are trying to say.  Anyway, Lair looks good so far we'll see how much is on screen when it's done. "

No, I'm trying to say "Same shit, different flies" when comparing the graphics of GoW with those of Lair's.

Honestly, if that's all that Lair has going for it (I was more impressed when I first saw HL2's in-game graphics than what I am seeing today, in comparative terms) I don't see what is so special. GoW looks just as good, if not better, and plays on a console that is much cheaper.

Of course, Lair can get better, but so far it's very unimpressive compared to what is already out for the 360.

Hence, the manure. Not that GoW doesn't look good (or Lair for that matter). It's just that I can pick up a Core Xbox360 for less than $300 where I live, and I don't see what is so special about a console that cranks out similar, or slightly inferior graphics but costs $200 more.

It's graphics are in line with Gears but the numbers of enemies onscreen and the area you fly are much larger. Gears was a tight closed in game this game is huge with very open areas and still looks as good as gears of war and what month of the PS3's life are we in? If you are a Halo fan then I am sure even at the same price you would still get a 360 over a PS3 and i am guessing you are a Halo fan. Is there another game other that Gears that is out now on the 360 that looks as good as Lair?

Around the Network

Here's a great interview where the head Factor 5 guy talks about Lair and the PS3: http://blogs.mercurynews.com/aei/2007/04/qa_with_factor_5_chief_julian_eggebrecht.html

He explains why it's easier to port to the 360 from PS3, which would explain why capcom is porting devil may cry 4 but not dead rising.  Hopefully (for me), he's right about developers switching to PS3 design first so PS3 doesn't miss out on as many games. Either way, it's nice that Factor 5 is willing to focus exclusively on the PS3 so they can take advantage of the hardware more and more as they work on it.

@yourmother:  I'm not sure why you feel betrayed by Sony that they hyped the graphics of the PS3.  It's clear the the cell is very powerful even if it's not showing it's advantage over the 360 yet in games.  Why doesn't microsoft do folding@home?  Why aren't they building supercomputer simulators?  Anyway, the graphics will show but if you want to argue about viral marketing, overhype, and even insulting the other companies I don't think any of the 3 companies are innocent. 

Developer Walkthrough:

PART1. http://www.gametrailers.com/player.p...18580&type=wmv
PART2. http://www.gametrailers.com/player.p...18585&type=wmv

Absolutely stunning! IMO Factor5's first PS3 game looks more impressive than what we have seen so far this generation!

Naughty Dog: "At Naughty Dog, we're pretty sure we should be able to see leaps between games on the PS3 that are even bigger than they were on the PS2."

PS3 vs 360 sales

I like how they are taking advantage of the cell, or so the commentary says. Great video and I enjoyed the interview as well. I'm definitely looking forward to this game. Hopefully I'm done with Motorstorm and Oblivion by then (yeah right).

Wow. I don't know what some of the naysayers are talking about but the size of these levels is just incredibly impressive.

And I was also impressed by what I heard about fluid mechanics with the Ocean surfaces, that it's not just trick movement anymore but realistic simulation of waves movements, displacement by the ships, etc.

But the level of detail in the buildings in the city is astounding, and the free movement in real time was also very impressive, you can just look all over while paused, see what's going on, where you need to go.

There are a lot of great looking games out there, but I have not seen anything (aside from Oblivion) on this scale, but what makes it more impressive is what is all on the screen at one time.  

Around the Network

The wave movement from the exploding ships only seemed to make a small shockwave. It didn't seem to travel far enough to interact with anything else. I wanted to see an explosion that rocked the water so hard it would make waves that would hit the other ships and tilt them to the side a bit. Hopefully we didn't see that because those ships were too small to make the proper explosion.

The graphics and level sizes are excellent. Love the look of the water, and the scenes with the boats on it. Strikes me as "classic" Factor 5 though - some things look tacky (giant explosions on the boats, ripples??), and the gameplay reminds me of the Star Wars games they did. Still, it should sell a heap of systems - as its a graphically intense game.

Gesta Non Verba

Nocturnal is helping companies get cheaper game ratings in Australia:

Game Assessment website

Wii code: 2263 4706 2910 1099

The game looks amazing in terms of scope and complexity of the battle field. But the more I watch those videos, the more something doesn't sit right with me. Ok, bear with me while I try to explain it.

What doesn't work for me is the physics, in that they don't fly like dragons would (and yes I know there's no such thing as dragons!). But dragons are large creatures with wings. There should be weight to them, and when they flap their wings they should lift. and rock through the air. To me it seems more like they're being treated like planes or space fighters. Even in the little things. there's a ripple behind them as they fly over water, but nothing happens to the water when they flap their wings over it. 

Now I'm not saying the game won't still be awesome. But to me it seems more like Rogue Squadron with different polygon models than a Dragon combat game. Perhaps just a bit of lost potential. 

I'm a mod, come to me if there's mod'n to do. 

Chrizum is the best thing to happen to the internet, Period.

Serves me right for challenging his sales predictions!

Bet with dsisister44: Red Steel 2 will sell 1 million within it's first 365 days of sales.

"I'm not sure why you feel betrayed by Sony that they hyped the graphics of the PS3."

I don't feel betrayed. However, what I stated were Sony's words, not mine. They were the ones claiming Pixar-level graphics and 4-D this-and-that that would instill discipline in me. Sorry, but I'm just stating that so far I haven't seen anything close to Pixar-level graphics, there are no disruptions in the time-space continuum emanating from my TV, nor do I feel disciplined (or had to get another job). 

"It's clear the the cell is very powerful even if it's not showing it's advantage over the 360 yet in games."

Who the hell said the cell isn't powerful? 

"Why doesn't microsoft do folding@home?"

Perhaps you should ask Microsoft? As much as I'd like to claim possession of Mr William H Gates' personal fortune or Steve Ballmer's mega-yacht, I'm not them; but if you want, PM me and I can give you Stevie's email - just don't tell him that your mother gave it to you!

"Why aren't they building supercomputer simulators?"

Good question - maybe you should visit Redmond (1 Microsoft Rd, I believe it is) and ask him?

"Anyway, the graphics will show but if you want to argue about viral marketing, overhype, and even insulting the other companies I don't think any of the 3 companies are innocent"

Nope, but neither has any of the three garnered anywhere near the amount of online hate that Sony has been able to singlehandedly muster.

your mother said:

"I'm not sure why you feel betrayed by Sony that they hyped the graphics of the PS3."

I don't feel betrayed. However, what I stated were Sony's words, not mine. They were the ones claiming Pixar-level graphics and 4-D this-and-that that would instill discipline in me. Sorry, but I'm just stating that so far I haven't seen anything close to Pixar-level graphics, there are no disruptions in the time-space continuum emanating from my TV, nor do I feel disciplined (or had to get another job).

"It's clear the the cell is very powerful even if it's not showing it's advantage over the 360 yet in games."

Who the hell said the cell isn't powerful?

"Why doesn't microsoft do folding@home?"

Perhaps you should ask Microsoft? As much as I'd like to claim possession of Mr William H Gates' personal fortune or Steve Ballmer's mega-yacht, I'm not them; but if you want, PM me and I can give you Stevie's email - just don't tell him that your mother gave it to you!

"Why aren't they building supercomputer simulators?"

Good question - maybe you should visit Redmond (1 Microsoft Rd, I believe it is) and ask him?

"Anyway, the graphics will show but if you want to argue about viral marketing, overhype, and even insulting the other companies I don't think any of the 3 companies are innocent"

Nope, but neither has any of the three garnered anywhere near the amount of online hate that Sony has been able to singlehandedly muster.

Ugh...just when I'd almost forgotten about you.

It is Sony's job to hype a system.  I think there are already games for both HD systems that show Toy Story graphics or better.  That's pixar.  There was some game screens probably on this site somewhere that showed Toy Story versus some game that looked better.  It might have been FF13, but I'm not sure.  4-D?  Ugh...does that include time or are you trying to say they really thought that more than 3-dimensional games were going to appear?  Come on.

I just don't know why that upsets you.  Microsoft has claimed a lot of things as well.  I'm not bothered that Sony hypes their system.

As far as online hate, I'm not sure what you are trying to prove here.  I definitely agree that some people are unreasonably against Sony, but I'm pretty sure it's not because they tried to hype their system.  If it is, then great, I'm sorry people are upset.  I'd be more upset with the ripoff that Microsoft is trying to pull with their add-ons, online, and Elite (especially for current owners).  But whatever, everyone has their likes and dislikes.

Sony may exagerate, but they clearly do have the most powerful system that is worth $800 or so wholesale, and have had very few problems thus far with the hard drive.  They have honestly built the most reliable high-tech console in a very long time if not ever.  The games are definitely coming.  Elder Scrolls got a nice graphical increase for the PS3 version (and much faster load times), Lair (which is what this topic is about) looks great to me, but there will be games that look better than both so I think you should just have some patience.