By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - new Lair pics/vido/info relese date

@ your mother 

seriously doubt the PS3 will be unable to overtake the 360 in graphics

IMO the first generation of PS3 games (such as Motorstorm, Resistance, Oblivion, RR7, FNR3) look better than the first generation of XBox 360 games.

IMO this second generation game from Insomniac looks really sweet!

http://images.playsyde.com/gallery/public/5189/1233_0001.jpg
http://images.playsyde.com/gallery/public/5189/1233_0010.jpg
http://images.playsyde.com/gallery/public/5189/1233_0011.jpg
http://images.playsyde.com/gallery/public/5189/1233_0013.jpg

Naughty Dog: "At Naughty Dog, we're pretty sure we should be able to see leaps between games on the PS3 that are even bigger than they were on the PS2."

PS3 vs 360 sales

Around the Network

It looks freakin' sweet.

This game is one of the main reasons I bought a PS3 and it's high on my list of games to get this year.

If it works out as it's shaping up this is exactly the kind of new IPs PS3 needs. 

1080p :) and did anyone honestly expect this game to have multiplayer? Games of this genre I am not looking for multiplayer in. 

Also I don't want/need multiplayer in Heavenly Sword, Ninja Gaiden, God of War or Devil May Cry either and why would I????

Everyong needs to stop hating on games on systems they don't have and play the games they like... 

Thanks to Blacksaber for the sig!

@MikeB

Just in case: you did read that sentence correctly, right?

"I seriously doubt the PS3 will be unable to overtake the 360 in graphics," as in "The PS3 will overtake the 360 in graphics".

Yep, those, and many other PS3 screenshots look sweet. So far it's a toss-up, IMHO, but I think the PS3 will be the undisputed heavyweight champ come this Christmas.

@clmlb:

I personally don't hate any console - just some of the fanatics that defend them like the rabid fanboys they are. I think it's those people who fail to see the good and bad that spoil the fun for everyone (you know who you are)...

@ your mother

Yep, those, and many other PS3 screenshots look sweet. So far it's a toss-up, IMHO, but I think the PS3 will be the undisputed heavyweight champ come this Christmas.

I am sorry, if I misunderstood. I just wanted to point out IMO, the PS3 will (and in cases already has) overtake the XBox 360 in the graphics, sound and game complexity department mainly due to the Cell and Blu-Ray advantages.

But I expect this mainly to be true with regard to exclusive titles, as these use new engines taking advantage of the PS3's SPEs.

IMO the water in Lair looks awesome a good example of SPE power, for the rest I hope and expect to see more polish for the final version compared to this alpha version. I will surely be getting this game as flying the dragon using the Sixaxis looks like good fun, the same goes for Warhawk.

Lair and  motion control:

http://download.gametrailers.com/gt_vault/t_ps3_playbeyond_control.wmv

Naughty Dog: "At Naughty Dog, we're pretty sure we should be able to see leaps between games on the PS3 that are even bigger than they were on the PS2."

PS3 vs 360 sales

"I expect this mainly to be true with regard to exclusive titles, as these use new engines taking advantage of the PS3's SPEs."

Agreed. That's why it's imperative IMHO that the PS3 gets some more exclusives, or at least have developers make the PS3 version first (to somehow leverage the raw horsepower advantage before they go, "Damn! now we's gotta "dumb" EVERYTHING down for the 360!).

I don't think the water is bad, but does Lair make use of the water, or is it just "environmental decoration"? If it's the latter, I doubt they are really utilizing the SPEs to process it, as it might not even be necessary to tap into the SPE.

Flying the dragon (or whatever that flies) with the Sixaxis looks promising. Perhaps they can come out with a "dragon-shaped" limited edition controller for the game?

Around the Network

@ Your mother

The water uses realtime calculated physics, something the SPEs are very powerful for.

PS3 vs 360 sales

Undeniable - the SPE is a number-crunching demon on crystal meth, but do you know how the game makes use of the water, as in how does it affect gameplay? 

Sony fans, close your eyes now!

Comparisons have been done between 360 and PS3 versions of particular games and the outcome favours the 360 graphically over the PS3 at the moment.

Yes, it's early days and the 360 game makers have 12 months of an advantage to get used to the system, but like for like, the 360's graphics are better and apparently their framerates hold up as well, which is something that cannot be said about some of the PS3 games.

The only game that seems to favour the PS3 is Oblivion.

The differences are negligable, but the framerate issue is in fact an issue.

I don't think for one minute that we have seen the best or anywhere near the best on the PS3 or for that matter on the 360, but Sony and the other developers that are making games for the PS3 need to get their act in gear and start producing the visual treats that we've all been told about or it could be an even bumpier ride than what Sony's getting at the moment. 

Prediction (June 12th 2017)

Permanent pricedrop for both PS4 Slim and PS4 Pro in October.

PS4 Slim $249 (October 2017)

PS4 Pro $349 (October 2017)

davygee said:

Sony fans, close your eyes now!

Comparisons have been done between 360 and PS3 versions of particular games and the outcome favours the 360 graphically over the PS3 at the moment.

Yes, it's early days and the 360 game makers have 12 months of an advantage to get used to the system, but like for like, the 360's graphics are better and apparently their framerates hold up as well, which is something that cannot be said about some of the PS3 games.

The only game that seems to favour the PS3 is Oblivion.

The differences are negligable, but the framerate issue is in fact an issue.

I don't think for one minute that we have seen the best or anywhere near the best on the PS3 or for that matter on the 360, but Sony and the other developers that are making games for the PS3 need to get their act in gear and start producing the visual treats that we've all been told about or it could be an even bumpier ride than what Sony's getting at the moment.

what crappy ass ports ? ... when a game is individually designed for the specific console its on then you can really compare them.  MOst multi gamesare being designed on 360 and then ported, that should tell you somthing.

lol what framrate issue....

Look at Uncharted it will release in 2007, beats eveything out there... its by a top dev with full Sony support so it makes sense its gonna push the system.

Insomniacs Rachat and Clank is another game that will push graphics farteher then the other devs can.

Hus said:
your mother said:

"Are you trying to say Gears of War is manure? I'm not sure what you are trying to say. Anyway, Lair looks good so far we'll see how much is on screen when it's done. "

No, I'm trying to say "Same shit, different flies" when comparing the graphics of GoW with those of Lair's.

Honestly, if that's all that Lair has going for it (I was more impressed when I first saw HL2's in-game graphics than what I am seeing today, in comparative terms) I don't see what is so special. GoW looks just as good, if not better, and plays on a console that is much cheaper.

Of course, Lair can get better, but so far it's very unimpressive compared to what is already out for the 360.

Hence, the manure. Not that GoW doesn't look good (or Lair for that matter). It's just that I can pick up a Core Xbox360 for less than $300 where I live, and I don't see what is so special about a console that cranks out similar, or slightly inferior graphics but costs $200 more.

gears has alot smaller levels and 8 characters on screen at a time.

Lair does levels that are 32by32km ... and a hell of alot more characters then 8

Yeah, and look at the cost to lairs graphics 

http://media.ps3.ign.com/media/761/761161/img_4465121.html

Leo-j said: If a dvd for a pc game holds what? Crysis at 3000p or something, why in the world cant a blu-ray disc do the same?

ssj12 said: Player specific decoders are nothing more than specialized GPUs. Gran Turismo is the trust driving simulator of them all. 

"Why do they call it the xbox 360? Because when you see it, you'll turn 360 degrees and walk away"