your mother said:

"omg omg omg!!!"

One. Big. Giant. "Meh":

http://www.gon.se/media/gears_of_war/gears_of_war_i-org_3.jpg

http://img.hexus.net/v2/gaming/screenshots/x360/gears_x360_large_2.jpg

http://www.dailygame.net/Articles/media/screens/gearsofwar/gearsofwar_E3-2.jpg

Same shit, different flies...

That's not in-game is it?

Becuase yeah... It dont look like the screenshots I was looking at just 10 seconds ago. 

PSN ID: Kwaad

I fly this flag in victory!

Around the Network
shams said:

Looks nice. Pity it only runs at 30fps... what is with that on the PS3 anyway?

I'm waiting to see reviews though before commenting further. Factor 5 (IMO) have a reputation for making games that look lovely - and play like crap. I was really disapointed with both the Star Wars titles on the GC (don't even get me started on Rebel Strike...).

Anyway, its great to see that the PS3 finally gets some more software, and hopefully something worth playing :)

I didn't realize that 30fps was a PS3 curse or something.  What do you mean what is with that?  If the game plays well at 30fps it will be fine.  Ninja Gaiden Sigma will run at 60fps, though.  I wonder why there aren't 45fps games.

Narfer said:
shams said:

I'm waiting to see reviews though before commenting further. Factor 5 (IMO) have a reputation for making games that look lovely - and play like crap. I was really disapointed with both the Star Wars titles on the GC (don't even get me started on Rebel Strike...).

Anyway, its great to see that the PS3 finally gets some more software, and hopefully something worth playing :)

...most experts doubt it...

You lie more than anyone else on this forum, seriously.  What experts?

"That's not in-game is it?

Becuase yeah... It dont look like the screenshots I was looking at just 10 seconds ago."

I dunno - is the Lair screenshot in-game?

This one, straight from the review from the sister site of the Lair preview (as in: both are listed as screenshots), seems in-game: 

http://media.xbox360.ign.com/media/747/747891/img_3949376.html

Again... One. Big. Giant. "Meh".

Them flies might change, but the stench of the manure remains the same.

your mother said:

"That's not in-game is it?

Becuase yeah... It dont look like the screenshots I was looking at just 10 seconds ago."

I dunno - is the Lair screenshot in-game?

This one, straight from the review from the sister site of the Lair preview (as in: both are listed as screenshots), seems in-game:

http://media.xbox360.ign.com/media/747/747891/img_3949376.html

Again... One. Big. Giant. "Meh".

Them flies might change, but the stench of the manure remains the same.

Are you trying to say Gears of War is manure?  I'm not sure what you are trying to say.  Anyway, Lair looks good so far we'll see how much is on screen when it's done. 

Around the Network

Personally, I think there should be a multi-player deathmatch and some team-deathmatch at least.  Throw in a few other game modes but at least let people fight each other.  A great multiplayer aspect would add to this game's appeal.  I'd love to see a multi-player deathmatch involving dragon fighting.

"Are you trying to say Gears of War is manure?  I'm not sure what you are trying to say.  Anyway, Lair looks good so far we'll see how much is on screen when it's done. "

No, I'm trying to say "Same shit, different flies" when comparing the graphics of GoW with those of Lair's.

Honestly, if that's all that Lair has going for it (I was more impressed when I first saw HL2's in-game graphics than what I am seeing today, in comparative terms) I don't see what is so special. GoW looks just as good, if not better, and plays on a console that is much cheaper.

Of course, Lair can get better, but so far it's very unimpressive compared to what is already out for the 360.

Hence, the manure. Not that GoW doesn't look good (or Lair for that matter). It's just that I can pick up a Core Xbox360 for less than $300 where I live, and I don't see what is so special about a console that cranks out similar, or slightly inferior graphics but costs $200 more.

windbane said:
shams said:

I didn't realize that 30fps was a PS3 curse or something. What do you mean what is with that? If the game plays well at 30fps it will be fine. Ninja Gaiden Sigma will run at 60fps, though. I wonder why there aren't 45fps games.

Very simple reason for that. NTSC updates at 60hx (60 times a second), so a game has to "generate" each new frame in time for the visual resync. If you can't quite manage it, you get jerkiness/irregular frame rates.

If you can't manage an update every 60 frames, (i.e. 1 update to 1 frame), you drop down to 30fps instantly (1 update for 2 frames). Its better to lock at 30fps, than have an irregular frame rate most of the time (i.e. upd, frame, upd, frame, upd, frame, frame, update, etc...).

If you target PAL, sometimes you can get better frame rates - if you can't "quite" manage 60fps, sometimes you can hit 50fps - so instead of runningat 30fps (NTSC half speed), you get PAL full speed (50fps).

For NTSC your options are 60hz, 30hz, 20hz, 15hz, 12hz, 10hz (i.e. divide 60 by integer numbers).

For PAL you get 50hz, 25hz, 16.6hz, etc..

The PS3 is *supposed* to be a hugely powerful console - visually at the least. I'm not impressed that ALL games on it don't run at 60fps. It either says the PS3 isn't as powerful as it should be, or that its too hard to optimise quickly (or both).

Remember a couple of years back when Sony BOASTED that it would run at 100fps, dual output, 1080p?? Yeah right... "100fps will be the new standard for games".

Gesta Non Verba

Nocturnal is helping companies get cheaper game ratings in Australia:

Game Assessment website

Wii code: 2263 4706 2910 1099

"100fps will be the new standard for games".

Did Fony PR actually say that?

Geez, seems like PoS3 isn't really  "teh Nex-Gen, SUXXORS ROFLLMAOWTFBBQBRBAFAIKIMHO!!!111one!" after all...

NOTHING is nex-gen this gen!

your mother said:

"Are you trying to say Gears of War is manure? I'm not sure what you are trying to say. Anyway, Lair looks good so far we'll see how much is on screen when it's done. "

No, I'm trying to say "Same shit, different flies" when comparing the graphics of GoW with those of Lair's.

Honestly, if that's all that Lair has going for it (I was more impressed when I first saw HL2's in-game graphics than what I am seeing today, in comparative terms) I don't see what is so special. GoW looks just as good, if not better, and plays on a console that is much cheaper.

Of course, Lair can get better, but so far it's very unimpressive compared to what is already out for the 360.

Hence, the manure. Not that GoW doesn't look good (or Lair for that matter). It's just that I can pick up a Core Xbox360 for less than $300 where I live, and I don't see what is so special about a console that cranks out similar, or slightly inferior graphics but costs $200 more.

gears has alot smaller levels and 8 characters on screen at a time.

Lair does levels that are 32by32km ... and a hell of alot more characters then 8