By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Sony’s War on Makers, Hackers, and Innovators

ClassicGamingWizzz said:

The Sony haters are busy this year , damn they created how many threads like these ? 10 ? 15?

You want free games don´t you and you are mad , poor boy is mad :(

Most of them was made by Radiantshadow... a PS3 fan.

And I don't want free games, I just want to be able to play PS3 games

Sig thanks to Saber! :D 

Around the Network
Damnyouall said:
ClassicGamingWizzz said:
Damnyouall said:

BTW, his internet handle is "geohot".

But yeah, reading sucks. Fills your head with new concepts and makes you think. Obviously not a good mindset for sheeple.

if we want read , we read a good book or a good magazine or an article not that pile of shit and garbage that you post !!!!

POST  500 !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Amazing how your incredible intellect allowed you to classify the article I posted as a "pile of shit and garbage" without reading it. The world and this forum needs more people like you. Looking forward to the mental enrichment your next 500 posts are surely going to provide.

That response was so full of win I cried irl x)

Disconnect and self destruct, one bullet a time.

ClassicGamingWizzz said:
Damnyouall said:
ClassicGamingWizzz said:
Damnyouall said:

But yeah, reading sucks. Fills your head with new concepts and makes you think. Obviously not a good mindset for sheeple.

if we want read , we read a good book or a good magazine or an article not that pile of shit and garbage that you post !!!!

POST  500 !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Amazing how your incredible intellect allowed you to classify the article I posted as a "pile of shit and garbage" without reading it. The world and this forum need more people like you. Looking forward to the mental enrichment your next 500 posts are surely going to provide.

Reported. I don't support geohot or hacking the PS3, but you're taking it too far.

ClassicGamingWizzz said:
Damnyouall said:
ClassicGamingWizzz said:
Damnyouall said:

Amazing how your incredible intellect allowed you to classify the article I posted as a "pile of shit and garbage" without reading it. The world and this forum need more people like you. Looking forward to the mental enrichment your next 500 posts are surely going to provide.

Lol. I thought it was funny.

sethnintendo said:
theprof00 said:

People angry at Geohot are just mad that I hack the shit out of multiplayer. Go play single-player games if you can't keep up in MP. Don't complain like a bitch that people are aimbotting or whatever you're mad about. Just hack your system and do the same thing. 

Don't hate the player hate the game.

Is that a serious post?  I hope it is a joke post which I suspect it is.  If you have to hack/cheat in MP just to win then that makes one pathetic.  They shouldn't even be called gamers.  If you can't win by playing legit then you are a loser.

whatever, I'm allowed to do whatever I want on my console, WHICH I BOUGHT. It is mine and I have the freedom to do whatever online. I'm completely against piracy, but if I want to go online and get a 100-0 kill-death, that's my RIGHT.

Down with consumer slavery!

Around the Network

The Digital Millennium Copyright Act of 1998

"“Copying” is used in this context as a short-hand for the exercise of any of the exclusive

rights of an author under section 106 of the Copyright Act. Consequently, a technological

measure that prevents unauthorized distribution or public performance of a work would fall

in this second category.

Copyright Office Summary December 1998 Page 4

unauthorized

copying2

of a copyrighted work. Making or selling devices or services that

are used to circumvent either category of technological measure is prohibited in certain

circumstances, described below. As to the act of circumvention in itself, the provision

prohibits circumventing the first category of technological measures, but not the

second.

This distinction was employed to assure that the public will have the continued

ability to make fair use of copyrighted works. Since copying of a work may be a fair use

under appropriate circumstances, section 1201 does not prohibit the act of circumventing

a technological measure that prevents copying. By contrast, since the fair use

doctrine is not a defense to the act of gaining unauthorized access to a work, the act of

circumventing a technological measure in order to gain access is prohibited"

EVERY GAMERS WORST NIGHTMARE...THE TANGLING CABLES MONSTER!

Coffee is for closers!

Quote : "In the end of 2009, Hotz announced his efforts to hack the Sony PlayStation 3, a console widely regarded as being the only fully locked and secure system of the seventh generation era. Hotz opened a blog to document his progress, and five weeks later, on January 22, 2010, he announced that he had successfully hacked the machine by enabling himself read and write access to the machine’s system memory and having hypervisor level access to the machine’s processor. Hotz also detailed the many things his work could allow, such as homebrew and PlayStation 2 emulation (a feature removed by Sony in newer revisions of the console to tackle production costs)."

So why exactly what he hacking a platform supporting Linux to run homebrew ?

Coudn't he instead write his homebrew on Linux ?

PS : And if the answer is that Linux on PS3 was a PoS, why complain about it's removal ? ( and seeing how the US army and others labs are using it I don't think it can be considered to be a PoS..)

PS3-Xbox360 gap : 1.5 millions and going up in PS3 favor !

PS3-Wii gap : 20 millions and going down !

JamaicameCRAZY said:

The Digital Millennium Copyright Act of 1998

"“Copying” is used in this context as a short-hand for the exercise of any of the exclusive

rights of an author under section 106 of the Copyright Act. Consequently, a technological

measure that prevents unauthorized distribution or public performance of a work would fall

in this second category.

Copyright Office Summary December 1998 Page 4

unauthorized

copying2

of a copyrighted work. Making or selling devices or services that

are used to circumvent either category of technological measure is prohibited in certain

circumstances, described below. As to the act of circumvention in itself, the provision

prohibits circumventing the first category of technological measures, but not the

second.

This distinction was employed to assure that the public will have the continued

ability to make fair use of copyrighted works. Since copying of a work may be a fair use

under appropriate circumstances, section 1201 does not prohibit the act of circumventing

a technological measure that prevents copying. By contrast, since the fair use

doctrine is not a defense to the act of gaining unauthorized access to a work, the act of

circumventing a technological measure in order to gain access is prohibited"

Congratulations, you failed to understand the part you bolded.

The section above that says that circumventing technological protection measures to create backups of intellectual property you legally own is legal (fair use).

The bolded part says that is unlawful to circumvent technological protection measures to illegally gain access to copyrighted content that you are not authorized to copy (= stuff you do not legally own).

EDIT: I'd like to add that the act you quoted doesn't apply to the current case.

"Well certainly with the Xbox 360, we had some challenges at the launch. Once we identified that we took control of it. We wanted to do it right by our customers. Our customers are very important to us." -Larry "Major Nelson" Hryb (10/2013). Note: RRoD was fixed with the Jasper-revision 3 years after the launch of 360

"People don't pay attention to a lot of the details."-Yusuf Mehdi explaining why Xbone DRM scheme would succeed

"Fortunately we have a product for people who aren't able to get some form of connectivity; it's called Xbox 360,”-Don Mattrick

"The region locking of the 3DS wasn't done for profits on games"-MDMAlliance

I'd also like to futhermore say i think Geo is a joke. He was part of a team that did the ipod hack he gave up then when someone cracked the ps3 he jumped right in and used what fail came up with and called it his own. He is nothing but an attention whore, he is so outspoken he just takes all the credit. Sure hes smart but his robotics stuff was much more impressive and where he should've stayed. Also releasing the code out there knowing people with use it to eff over sony and make them loose money is an example of Negligence and or Carelessness and he can absoulutly be sued for that.

As far as what everyone is saying if i purchase something its 100% mine there is restrictions with tons of things you own. Should we cry fowl to the government that i cant shoot my shottie into the sky at 5 o'clock in the morning because it pleases me so? No deal with it. Sony has the right to have their product do what they would like it to they made it they have the right to deny you access to it if they so choose. They are people also and they have just as many rights as you or i (its called corperate personhood). So come off it already.

EVERY GAMERS WORST NIGHTMARE...THE TANGLING CABLES MONSTER!

Coffee is for closers!

Wagram said:
voty2000 said:

Nice read, I'm just waiting now for someone to do a good article on how hackers basically made computing what is is today.  People have no idea what most hackers do and what they have accomplished, like Ssliasil, he apparently has no clue that Bill Gates and Steve Jobs started as hackers.  Some hackers do illegal stuff but the vast majority just want to tinker with stuff they own and make it do stuff it wasn't designed for.  They are real innovators that put in hours of work with no pay just for kicks.  It's an amazing culture. 

I am glad the article went into some of Geohotz accomplishments outside of jailbreaking because folks don't realize how intelligent this guy really is.  People complain about him being arrogant but I think most of us would be to if we gained the fame he has simply by tinkering with stuff he owns. 

I don't believe that. I can agree that there are some out there who did it for pleasure and to tinker but a lot of them just want to steal.

Hackers that do illegal stuff get media attention, that's why you get a skewed view of hackers.  Hackers that turn a 360 into a laptop get very little attention, it's not newsworthy.  Just remember that the internet would not be as advanced as it is now without hackers and MS and Apple wouldn't exist.