By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Why don't western 3rd party developers support Nintendosystems?

Western third parties ignore Nintendo consoles because:

A) Nintendo fanboys only seem to care about games actually made by Nintendo.

B) The Japanese only seem to care about games made in Japan. 

Add the two together and western developers are pretty much guaranteed to loose money releasing games on the Wii unless it is something like Mickey Mouse.

Nintendo's "kiddy" image is well earned. 

Around the Network
ND3G said:

Western third parties ignore Nintendo consoles because:

A) Nintendo fanboys only seem to care about games actually made by Nintendo.

B) The Japanese only seem to care about games made in Japan. 

Add the two together and western developers are pretty much guaranteed to loose money releasing games on the Wii unless it is something like Mickey Mouse.

Nintendo's "kiddy" image is well earned. 

A. Explain the Gamecube's version of RE4 selling over a million and a half.  (The GCN sold almost exclusively to Nintendo fanboys and kids)

A2. Even though that fact is almost true, like I said the GC version of RE4 sold well, and another thing even when Nintendo tried to shake off their "kiddy" image (GC era) People like Rockstar still didn't develop for it. (Heck, they went as far as RELEASING two M-rated titles, and they never release M games).

well since your OP failed to make any sort of an argument i guess i don't feel the need to either...

..because why should they?

The N64 I can understand but the Gamecube has me scratchin my head...

I know why Rockstar neglected to support the GC, but everyone else no clue. It would've been relatively easy to port PS2 exclusives and the like UPWARDS to the GC. Some say its because the userbase was low...but thats not really an excuse; didn't stop em from juicing the PS3!

Leatherhat on July 6th, 2012 3pm. Vita sales:"3 mil for COD 2 mil for AC. Maybe more. "  thehusbo on July 6th, 2012 5pm. Vita sales:"5 mil for COD 2.2 mil for AC."

SaviorX said:

I know why Rockstar neglected to support the GC, but everyone else no clue. It would've been relatively easy to port PS2 exclusives and the like UPWARDS to the GC. Some say its because the userbase was low...but thats not really an excuse; didn't stop em from juicing the PS3!

why did Rockstar neglect to, disc space?

Monster Hunter: pissing me off since 2010.

Around the Network
Mr Khan said:
SaviorX said:

Rockstar (then known as DMA Design) was prepped to be Nintendo's new Rare/Retro; a second-party associate.

Ninty dropped em in the N64 gen. Then they got vengeance in 2001.

Leatherhat on July 6th, 2012 3pm. Vita sales:"3 mil for COD 2 mil for AC. Maybe more. "  thehusbo on July 6th, 2012 5pm. Vita sales:"5 mil for COD 2.2 mil for AC."

Mr Khan said:
SaviorX said:

i'd imagine disk space was the starting point for a lot of developers.  1.5 GB is really small compared to the ps2/xbox storage capabilities.  add on low userbase and it was a system quite easy to ignore.

zgamer5 said:

an important reason is that 3rd party devs mostly give games for the "core gamers" if they supported the wii dev costs would be less but but the game will flop.

this is such a stupid comment. If they supported the Wii from the start instead of hated on it they wouldn't of gotten into that situation.

Look at Red Steel 2 for example. before that come out Ubisoft probably released 40 shovelware games that were all on the shelf still when red steel come out. I sure as hell couldn't find red steel 2 on the shelves. I had ot buy mine online.

They brought it on themselves.

3rd Party also use the excuse only NINTENDO games well we cannot compete. So what did Nintendo do for Wii? Leave a HUGE gap for them to release games in that they wouldn't need to compete against Nintendo games, but did they take that opportunity? No. Instead it hurt Nintendo as it was hopeing for 3rd party games whilst their own software suffered.

SaviorX said:

Let me guess, it was the "Nintendo is still kiddy" excuse I pointed out?

Edit: I read the thing you told the other guy. I never thought that that was the reason Rockstar doesn't support Nintendo

SaviorX said:

The N64 I can understand but the Gamecube has me scratching my head...

I know why Rockstar neglected to support the GC, but everyone else no clue. It would've been relatively easy to port PS2 exclusives and the like UPWARDS to the GC. Some say its because the user-base was low...but that's not really an excuse; didn't stop em from juicing the PS3!

well the ps3 is very different to the GC as far as power, potential goes

ports to Wii are inferior by default, you can only push the console so far no matter how much effort you put into it, the only way would be for the wii to be the lead platform in which the chances of those games succeeded anywhere other than the wii is slim to non.

oh and did the Gamecube severely limit it's hardware advantage over the ps2 by using the mini dvd?