By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - General Discussion - I'm done with Joystiq. From now on I'm VGChartz 4 life!

Dear VGChartz,

I have a confession to make.  For the past 3 months I've been cheating on you.  I've been posting on another forum behind your back.  And to add insult to injury, it was at Joystiq.  I hate Joystiq, but it was hard for me to quit.  I finally have, and I hope you can forgive me.  Here is my story. 

I'd been posting on Joystiq since about a month before the Wii came out.  The teaser trailers for the Wii remote got me back into video game news like never before.  I'd been posting there for over a year, and at some point I started lurking at VGChartz.  I tried to start an account here a couple times and kept having errors and giving up.

At one point Vladimir Cole (ex-editor known for writing all his articles about how ugly Twilight Princess was and how the remote would just "fly out of your hand" and into the TV) banned me from Joystiq for pointing out that his incessant Nintendo-bashing and Microsoft-praising was due to his multiple internships at Microsoft, and thus shouldn't be taken seriously.  When I asked him why he banned me he even sent me personal e-mails that were very rude.  The guy's a dick.  Whatever.  I started a new account and got banned immediately because he was still mad.

I started a third account, and Vladimir didn't notice.  He stopped posting his bullshit there at about the same time, so my 3rd account stuck.  This was all back in January.  Eventually my 4th attempt to create an account at VGChartz worked (in September), and I've been posting at both sites ever since.  Although I love VGChartz and hate Joystiq, it's always been a guilty pleasure, and was hard to quit.  I kind of felt like I shouldn't stop posting, since I'd been there so long and knew everybody and one of the writers there, Justin McElroy, just interviewed me for his article about the Defense Forces at GameDaily.

Right after the interview, my account stopped working.  No idea why.  The whole Weblogs Inc. system is a bunch of madness.  It's crap.  Every time I post for a couple weeks it tells me they sent me a confirmation e-mail.  I have no idea why, because I've been using my password forever and didn't need any confirmations.  So I czech my e-mail anyway, and there are no confirmations.  So my account just disappeared.

I created my 4th account at Joystiq a week ago, and it worked.  I got a password and everything.  I got 9 comments in and the password stopped working.  Again, they told me I was getting confirmation e-mails.  Again, I wasn't.  Fuck Joystiq.

I am never posting at Joystiq ever again.

I hereby pledge my eternal faith in VGChartz.

I will never two-time this site again. 

Sincerely,

Rubang B (NDF - Heart)

Favorite Companies: Nintendo, Blizzard, Valve.
Recent New Favorites: Grasshopper, Atlus. (R.I.P. Clover.)
Heroes/Homies: Shigeru Miyamoto, Gunpei Yokoi, Will Wright, Eric Chahi, Suda51, Brian Eno, David Bowie.
Haiku Group: Haiku Hell.
Nemeses: Snesboy, fkusumot. 
GameDaily Article that Interviewed Me: Console Defense Forces.

Around the Network

I like Joystiq and Kotaku for the simple fact that they have news. But I hate their writing. They think they need to be funny to be relevant. The commenters (I've notice you in passing Rubang) are generally fanboys with very little substance. Kind of like some of our worst here, without the mods or regulars to keep things on track.

Welcome to VGChartz as your sole provider of your forum fix. Your mustache and fannypack are legend.

Yay. You're probably the awesomest person on the site, so it's good to not have to share you. =P

How do you quit? I can't seem to. In fact I'm addicted to many of the Weblogs Inc. blogs. I have a love/hate relationship with PS3Fanboy, WiiFanboy, and 360Fanboy and I even peruse Engadget every now and then. I don't think I have the will power to give it up.

That and spending more time here at VGC would just make me want to kill Soriku, Eugene, and LeoJ.

Currently Playing:

Xbox 360 - Rock Band, NHL 08, Skate, Halo 3, Mass Effect

Wii - Mario Galaxy

I post in VG Chartz and TeamXbox, and a few others here and there

Current Consoles: Xbox 360 Elite, Playstation 2, Gaming Rig, Nintendo Wii, Playstation 3.

Xbox Live: Jessman_Aus - Playing: Ace Combat 6, Fifa 09

Playstation Network: Jessman_Aus - Playing: MGS4, Resistance 2

Wii Freind Code: 3513-9191-8534-3866 - Playing: SSBB

Brawl Code: 1590-6125-1250

Xfire: J3ssman - Playing: Fallout 3, Farcry 2

Jessman: Fears the Mangina

Around the Network

I recently removed wiifanboy and joystiq RSS feeds from my google homepage. I get less biased opinion from leo-j.

Final* Word on Game Delays:

The game will not be any better or include more content then planned. Any commnets that say so are just PR hogwash to make you feel better for having to wait.

Delays are due to lack of proper resources, skill, or adequate planning by the developer.

Do be thankful that they have enough respect for you to delay the game and maintain its intended level of quality.

*naznatips is exempt

Aww shucks thanks guys.

This forum is the best.  People welcomed me here when I first posted, and I find myself welcoming the n00bs now as well.  You really get to know the mods here, and there are constantly awesome new features here.

Joystiq's forums were anarchy.  People were getting banned for the most random reasons, and then people calling each other "fags" and whatnot and making horribly racist remarks got to keep posting.  I probably got into more arguments about homophobia than Nintendophobia in those forums, where I was even called gay for liking "teh kiddie" games.  Seriously, without mods, it was madness, and people were calling me gay WITHOUT seeing my fanny pack modeling picture.  I never understood it.

Heroes/Homies: Shigeru Miyamoto, Gunpei Yokoi, Will Wright, Eric Chahi, Suda51, Brian Eno, David Bowie.

Kotaku is ok, not great but joystiq is absolute crap. I'm referring to the comments/threads. Its like reading a message board of all clueless fanboys spouting off random stupid comments. Even leo-j and diomedes is better than that...sometimes. Well maybe its just that there's less of them here.

Oh and if anyone wonder where all the 360 and ps3 fanboys are, just look at joystiq and kotaku to a lesser degree. They pounce the moment any news arrives favoring them.

I stopped posting at Joystiq long ago. That whole system of commenting just irked me.

Welcome ... to the dark side.

@Adam540, yeah it was hard. I wanted to quit, but after they made it hard for me to post, it was suddenly easy to quit. Their whole system is just awkward crap and I'm done with it.

@dschumm, ooh good idea, I'm removing the RSS feed right now. I feel like a new man.

To celebrate I'll have a glass of wine and get started on my final final of the semester that's due at 3 pm tomorrow (It's 7:34 pm here). I have a rough draft, and just need to polish it up. But I can get a C- on it and still get a B+ in the class. Booyah.

Man, VGChartz is even more addictive than MySpace and MineSweeper combined. At least it replaced Joystiq for me though. I have too many addictions on my computer as it is, and I'm close to getting addicted to Team Fortress 2.