By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - PS3 Hacker Raised All the Legal Funds Needed to Beat Sony in a Weekend

fordy said:
Xbbjf9s said:
fordy said:
Xbbjf9s said:

question, can sony just make a new console with better security? like ms did.

I don't know there. If they did, it would not be backwards compatible, since the old system relies on the master keys for publishing.

This is why I think more needs to be done on the server side, where they still have the capability to control this.

????the new models aren't backwards compatible.

It depends on the situation. I don't think the 360 has it's master keys stolen, people just moved around the security there. Once a master key is made public, the only way to fix it is with a new iteration of hardware (ie. a new gen)

The new models aren't backward compatible because the xbox emulator required 8GB of hard drive space. Users wanted their 8GB of HDD space back. The version of the xbox means nothing, there are tools available to put the xbox emulator back on your hard drive.

ETA: adding it onto your new HDD won't get you banned from XBOX Live, either

Sony removed backward compatibility and OtherOS because it cost them money to keep up development for new models. I don't think for a second that it was because of hackers. There were already rumors of them killing off OtherOS, and that's why they had to make a press release about how they weren't disabling it to keep users happy. Once they found a scapegoat to take the blame for getting rid of OtherOS, that's who they blamed.

Recently, there have been/will be rootkits available for Android, iPhone, WebOS, Windows Phone, XBox 360, PS3, and the Wii. Apple tried to sue, they failed. Sony is trying to sue, they will most likely fail as well. Everyone else is sitting and watching how it plays out but is smart enough not to waste money.

Around the Network
hehey said:

the only person being fed propaganda is you, since apparently you think Sony wants to be able to take brick your Ps3 for no reason and take your PS3 away after you buy it and force to buy other things. Really?, thats what this case is about?, here i was thinking this is a fight againt haking, i dunno, they are suing a hacker for haking, where could i possibly have gotten taht idea.

The "root" of this cheating is the hackers that enable it, tahts what should be attacked.

The case determines Sony's right to control of power over purchased items. It doesn't matter if you spent the money on it, Sony still want control of it.

This is the current case with software. You cannot technically OWN a game. You are merely licensing the right to use it. Sony wants this to extend to hardware as well. That is what this case is about.

hehey said:
irstupid said:
hehey said:
irstupid said:
hehey said:
fordy said:
hehey said:
fordy said:
hehey said:

I dont use pirated or hacked sofware so i dont have anything to worry about. 

Answer the question.

Would you give Sony complete control of your PS3, effectively terminating you as the owner, in order to finish piracy?

Seeing as how it would be no different whatsover than how it is now, yeah i would, there wouldnt be any cheaters or pirates and i would still be able to install and play uncharted or final fantasy games or anything else that wasntr pirated or hacked. I play by the rules so i have nothing to worry about.

You dont sacre me with your exagerations and conspiracy theories.

Nothing would change from where the PS3 was before these hacker jerks showed up.

Except that Sony owns your PS3, which they could do the following to:

1. Brick it for no reason whatsoever.

2. Take it away from you if they believe you're not using it the way they want.

3. Force you to buy Sony propietary hardware to work with it.

Corporate control over the hardware that you buy is a BAD thing. Public order can still be maintained from their PSN servers, while still keeping the freedom to own the hardware that you buy, and do what you like to it.

If Sony wins, you know what will happen, hacking PS3 wont be legally alowed, thats it. Nowhere in this court case has sony ever gone after any of the rights you mention, this fight is againt hackers and hackers alone.

ike i said, your doomsday exagerations and corporate conspiracy theory's dont scare me.

so sony is going after him for doing what?  hacking his ps3 and doing what?

what has he done Illegal?

hes an enabler for piracy and hacking PSN, he leaked the security keys and opened pandoras box (figuratively). If tahts not illegal then it should be, and hopefully it will be after this.

enabler for piracy?  lol you have to be kidding me.

gun makers are enabler for murder

condom makers are enablers for rape

latex glove makers are enablers for hiding finger prints in crimes

ski mask makers are enablers to robbers

need i go on by grabbing items and using the worse case scenerio out of it that SOMONE else uses it for.  a person can not be held liable for another

You can murder without guns

You can rape without condoms (lol, seriously?)

You can hide fingerprints without those as well

You can rob without ski masks.

But you know what?, in other to play pirated games on the PS3, and to cheat on the PS3, you know what you NEED for that?, you need someone to hack it thats what!!!!, no hackers, its not a problem.

conclusion?, get rid of hjackers and Sony's security problems dont exists.

and FYI, if i could bannish guns from the face of the earth i totally would.

wow no comment to your responce there

quick question.  What do you think about atmoic energy.  should we think of the people in the manhatton project the same as we do hitler, because of the atomic bombs?  what about nuclear power plants?

Enough with the homebrew already...

Everything you can write and run on a PS3 as homebrew will run on a PC too and probably better and faster.

And you actually need a PC to develop a homebrew app ( because there are no commercially available development tools for the PS3).

So every single one of those guys that claim they wanted to hack the PS3 to run homebrew app can run exactly the same apps on their PC.

So the only reason to really hack the machine is piracy and running mods that reduce others players online experience...

PS3-Xbox360 gap : 1.5 millions and going up in PS3 favor !

PS3-Wii gap : 20 millions and going down !

Around the Network
bobbert said:
fordy said:
Xbbjf9s said:
fordy said:
Xbbjf9s said:

question, can sony just make a new console with better security? like ms did.

I don't know there. If they did, it would not be backwards compatible, since the old system relies on the master keys for publishing.

This is why I think more needs to be done on the server side, where they still have the capability to control this.

????the new models aren't backwards compatible.

It depends on the situation. I don't think the 360 has it's master keys stolen, people just moved around the security there. Once a master key is made public, the only way to fix it is with a new iteration of hardware (ie. a new gen)

The new models aren't backward compatible because the xbox emulator required 8GB of hard drive space. Users wanted their 8GB of HDD space back. The version of the xbox means nothing, there are tools available to put the xbox emulator back on your hard drive.

ETA: adding it onto your new HDD won't get you banned from XBOX Live, either

Sony removed backward compatibility and OtherOS because it cost them money to keep up development for new models. I don't think for a second that it was because of hackers. There were already rumors of them killing off OtherOS, and that's why they had to make a press release about how they weren't disabling it to keep users happy. Once they found a scapegoat to take the blame for getting rid of OtherOS, that's who they blamed.

Recently, there have been/will be rootkits available for Android, iPhone, WebOS, Windows Phone, XBox 360, PS3, and the Wii. Apple tried to sue, they failed. Sony is trying to sue, they will most likely fail as well. Everyone else is sitting and watching how it plays out but is smart enough not to waste money.

Because if they win bet you money MS and Ninty may follow up. The difference between apple and sony is that hardware involved...a phone and a game system

Ail said:

Everything you can write and run on a PS3 as homebrew will run on a PC too and probably better and faster.

And you actually need a PC to develop a homebrew app ( because there are no commercially available development tools for the PS3).

So every single one of those guys that claim they wanted to hack the PS3 to run homebrew app can run exactly the same apps on their PC.

So the only reason to really hack the machine is piracy and running mods that reduce others players online experience...

Any data you would ever want to store can be done better and faster using a USB stick. The only reason for DVD burners and DVD-Rs to exist is for pirating movies. All DVD burners and recordable media needs to be removed from store shelves immediately.

If there is ANY legal use stemming from what he released, in the US court it does not matter that someone else used it in a way that was not intended for doing something illegal.

Ail said:

why do you guys get excited when a console says it has facebook, or netflix, or browser or many other things a pc ALSO has then?  You can do them all and better on your computer just like you said

Ail said:

So why does money need to be spent on getting a HTPC just to run the custom homebrew on, which uses 300W more power and probably rather noisy and hot too, when you have a PS3 already hooked up to the TV that can apparently do everything?

irstupid said:
hehey said:
irstupid said:
hehey said:
irstupid said:
hehey said:
fordy said:
hehey said:
fordy said:
hehey said:

I dont use pirated or hacked sofware so i dont have anything to worry about. 

Answer the question.

Would you give Sony complete control of your PS3, effectively terminating you as the owner, in order to finish piracy?

Seeing as how it would be no different whatsover than how it is now, yeah i would, there wouldnt be any cheaters or pirates and i would still be able to install and play uncharted or final fantasy games or anything else that wasntr pirated or hacked. I play by the rules so i have nothing to worry about.

You dont sacre me with your exagerations and conspiracy theories.

Nothing would change from where the PS3 was before these hacker jerks showed up.

Except that Sony owns your PS3, which they could do the following to:

1. Brick it for no reason whatsoever.

2. Take it away from you if they believe you're not using it the way they want.

3. Force you to buy Sony propietary hardware to work with it.

Corporate control over the hardware that you buy is a BAD thing. Public order can still be maintained from their PSN servers, while still keeping the freedom to own the hardware that you buy, and do what you like to it.

If Sony wins, you know what will happen, hacking PS3 wont be legally alowed, thats it. Nowhere in this court case has sony ever gone after any of the rights you mention, this fight is againt hackers and hackers alone.

ike i said, your doomsday exagerations and corporate conspiracy theory's dont scare me.

so sony is going after him for doing what?  hacking his ps3 and doing what?

what has he done Illegal?

hes an enabler for piracy and hacking PSN, he leaked the security keys and opened pandoras box (figuratively). If tahts not illegal then it should be, and hopefully it will be after this.

enabler for piracy?  lol you have to be kidding me.

gun makers are enabler for murder

condom makers are enablers for rape

latex glove makers are enablers for hiding finger prints in crimes

ski mask makers are enablers to robbers

need i go on by grabbing items and using the worse case scenerio out of it that SOMONE else uses it for.  a person can not be held liable for another

You can murder without guns

You can rape without condoms (lol, seriously?)

You can hide fingerprints without those as well

You can rob without ski masks.

But you know what?, in other to play pirated games on the PS3, and to cheat on the PS3, you know what you NEED for that?, you need someone to hack it thats what!!!!, no hackers, its not a problem.

conclusion?, get rid of hjackers and Sony's security problems dont exists.

and FYI, if i could bannish guns from the face of the earth i totally would.

wow no comment to your responce there

quick question.  What do you think about atmoic energy.  should we think of the people in the manhatton project the same as we do hitler, because of the atomic bombs?  what about nuclear power plants?

Your kidding right?, the sole purpose of the manhatan project was to produce a nuclear bomb, and for years that was the only thing that came from it, nukes.... obviously those guys were a bunch of dicks