By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Will the XBOX 360's GTA IV Episodic Content help?

Every multiplatform game coming out has sold the best on the XBOX 360.  Assassin's Creed, Call of Duty 4, Rock Band, Need For Speed Prostreet, Gutiar Hero III, Madden NFL 08, etc.  Why did Microsoft go out of their way, pay a reportedly $50 Million to buy the episodic content to a game that was (and is [Sorry Sony Fanboys]) going to sell more on the XBOX 360?  To add insult to injury to Sony?  I believe that this was done because they want to prove to R* that they shouldn't develop at all on the PS3 (Don't know if that'll change as L.A. Noire and another game are being developed for PS3 exclusively), but that's my opinion, what do you think?

Around the Network

It will sell better in the US but not EU and yes the content will help the 360.(I'm soo sleepy).

I think it will help a lot in the US and a little in Europe, especially if a 360 price drop coincides with the release and Sony stays at their 399 price point.

Is it worth 50 million dollars? That's hard to say but I'm inclined to think that it is not. Of course, we also don't know what kind of advertising bundle was included in that price. If GTA commercials spring up all over with the 360 logo on them as part of the deal, it could quickly become worth it for MS.

Or check out my new webcomic: http://selfcentent.com/

Really to the mass consumer it might not matter, but to the hardcore crowd that are diehard fans and the Xbox 360 owners that are current, will take advantage. You can be sure Microsoft will let all current owners on Xbox Live that exclusive content will be available when GTAIV releases.

They will put up ads on Xbox Live Marketplace and Microsoft will probably put out commercials saying they have exclusive content, so that if any consumer was thinking about getting the PS3 for GTAIV will most likely get the Xbox 360 because of the extra content.

Surely we don't know what the content is, but it might give a significant boost for the Xbox 360 in America and Europe.

Nintendo & Sony Supporter

Best PS3 CommercialBest Wii Commercial

It will help all around. I think it will sell on the PS3, but seeming the series is a top seller anyhow on the PS2 and sold great on the Xbox, having extra content, especially after you have finished the game is gonna rock. I'll put it another way - if the content was only on the PS3, I would really strongly consider getting a PS3. However, it's not and MS is not going to risk $50M on a good guess. They will recoop their funds easily.

I do commend 360 fanboys for remaining relatively civil about one of the biggest games in the next-gen era. They could tout and flaunt but they aren't. P$3 fanboys, on the other hand, are quick to say it won't matter. Yeah ... to the tune of $50M ... 

Around the Network

@ Sorair

Let's hope that people know that the episodic content is not going to be free. I really don't care what system it's on. I've never completed a GTA game anyway (Save for III) and I've owned them all and the PSP ones. I couldn't care less about Episodic Content but some people must be chomping at the bit to pay for a few extra hours.

DMeisterJ said:
@ Sorair

Let's hope that people know that the episodic content is not going to be free. I really don't care what system it's on. I've never completed a GTA game anyway (Save for III) and I've owned them all and the PSP ones. I couldn't care less about Episodic Content but some people must be chomping at the bit to pay for a few extra hours.

More so, it will benefit the hardcore GTA fans. Not for you, by you giving me the description on how you didn't complete any GTA games, just gives me an indication that the exclusive content is not for you. So the PS3 version of GTAIV will most likely be your choice.

I know Microsoft will charge the hell out of 360 owners to some instinct. But really its about how they advertise the game and the exclusive content.

Will it be worth the $50million that Microsoft handed to Take-Two or will it not?

The sales and the word-of-mouth will be the only indicators....

@ Sorair

Yeah. I hope they don't charge the heck out of the Episodic content for those who want it. I imagine they would because they have to recoup the 50 million. With Oblivion it was thirty bucks for the shivering Isles so I imagine it'd be somewhere around there. 50,000,000/30=means that they'd have to sell ~1.7 million units of episodic content between the two. I completed Oblivion but did not buy the Episodic content. So I don't think I'd buy this one. Is there anyway to know how much games with Episodic content sell? This is when I'd wish we could see PC sales so I can see how well episode one of HL2 sold.

Ya know the only people that are going to know about this extra content is the hardcore gamers, and GTA, although has a lot of hardcore gamers buying it, still is a pretty heavy headed casual title. I mean for anything to sell over 10 million units, you have to have the mainstream behind ya. So I don't think it'll have too many effects.

DMeisterJ said:
@ Sorair

Yeah. I hope they don't charge the heck out of the Episodic content for those who want it. I imagine they would because they have to recoup the 50 million. With Oblivion it was thirty bucks for the shivering Isles so I imagine it'd be somewhere around there. 50,000,000/30=means that they'd have to sell ~1.7 million units of episodic content between the two. I completed Oblivion but did not buy the Episodic content. So I don't think I'd buy this one. Is there anyway to know how much games with Episodic content sell? This is when I'd wish we could see PC sales so I can see how well episode one of HL2 sold.

DMeisterJ said: Is there anyway to know how much games with episodic content sell?

To answer that, you can bet that Microsoft or Take-2 will release info on how well the Exclusive content sold. If we don't get any info from neither one, then we have a clear picture that the Exclusive GTAIV content for the Xbox 360 was awful.