By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - The Wii's fall from grace

oniyide said:

People keep taking about motion plus, but really that thing was released a while ago and their are barely any other games that support it. What makes people think that it will suddenly get support?

The fact that there is hardly any support for it now, to me just shows that they are due for a bunch of them soon. I see motion plus somewhat as the next generation Wii. Nintendo does not need another console, because obviously their target audience does not care very much about hardware. What they need is motion plus games. That is the REAL evolution they need to focus on. And I think Nintendo sees that as well. That's why they are content on pushing one of their biggest franchises, Zelda, with motion plus. And I think that's just the beginning. At E3, we'll begin to see a bunch more games that support it. Possibly a price drop too, though I still don't think a price drop would help as much as more games.

Around the Network

I'd say the Wii has fallen apart because of lack of a hardware redesign, lack of third party support, lack of recent huge sellers and lack of frequent enough price cuts. I don't believe your first three points amount to much in reducing the Wii's sales.

“These are my principles; if you don’t like them, I have others.” – Groucho Marx

@metallicube  its like I told Conegamer, i wish i shared your optimism and faith in Ninty, but its been a while since the motion debut and we've been getting a bunch of shovelware if that. Please dont misunderstand me, im not trolling Ninty on this. I bought RS2 motion plus bundle, I WANT to be wrong, i really do, but everything in my gut is telling me that Zelda wont make a difference, but for all our sakes i hope your right. 

Zlejedi said:
Conegamer said:

Also, this week:

Wii from 63,944- 63,789. Looks like its stabilised now...

PS3 from 86,913-83,490. IT'S STILL FALLING! IT IS TEH DOOMEZD!!!

You see? This is how stupid this thread is. Singling out one poor week of sales is stupid, because there could be reasons for this decrease. It's not sensible. Will I go out now and make a 'PS3 is DOOMED' thread? No, of course not. Because it's not the Wii...

If we talk about the whole year, then the Wii will likely extend its lead by a couple million, like last year, depending on price cuts etc.

But singling out the Wii's slow start from its amazing holidays and over 85million previous sales is idiotic, and is beginning to annoy me and many other people on this site

/rant

But it's not just this week.

From January to March 2010 Wii sold around 3,8M consoles comfortably outselling competition. That's around 20% of 2010 number.

With the way it's tracking currently it'll be around 2,5M this year for Q1.

(Also to Squiliam)

But that's it. Last year in 2010, the Wii was miles ahead of its competitiors. This year it's behind the PS3 by about 10,000, and ahead of the 360 by a similar number

So what if it finishes second this year, behind the PS3 by about 150k? No-one, bar fanboys would care about that.

Yes, the Wii has slowed down...but has it really fallen from grace? Will anyone create a thread in July when the 360 is down heavily YoY? No. It's just Nintendo who gets the battering, and that's what anoys me...

Here lies the dearly departed Nintendomination Thread.

Mr. Fister said:

I think there's a few easier explanations for why Wii sales are down than the ones in the OP.

1.) Market saturation. Most people who have an interest in the Wii have one at this point.

2.) No real system-sellers in a while. Granted, some great and strong-selling games have been released in the past few months, but nothing on the same level as Wii Fit or Mario Kart Wii.

3.) The 3DS is right around the corner. This means that a lot of developmental focus and hype is getting directed away from the Wii and towards the new system.

4.) The Wii is four years old and runs on dated hardware. It makes sense for its momentum to be on the decline.

This answer is fairly correct.

I don't think the Xbox 360 or PS3 are really taking any of Wii's sales, they are not selling that well either. Not even close to what the Wii weas selling a couple of years ago. In fact, they're selling close to what the Wii is selling now, which we have already established as terrible sales.

I describe myself as a little dose of toxic masculinity.

Around the Network
Jumpin said:
Mr. Fister said:

I think there's a few easier explanations for why Wii sales are down than the ones in the OP.

1.) Market saturation. Most people who have an interest in the Wii have one at this point.

2.) No real system-sellers in a while. Granted, some great and strong-selling games have been released in the past few months, but nothing on the same level as Wii Fit or Mario Kart Wii.

3.) The 3DS is right around the corner. This means that a lot of developmental focus and hype is getting directed away from the Wii and towards the new system.

4.) The Wii is four years old and runs on dated hardware. It makes sense for its momentum to be on the decline.

This answer is fairly correct.

I don't think the Xbox 360 or PS3 are really taking any of Wii's sales, they are not selling that well either. Not even close to what the Wii weas selling a couple of years ago. In fact, they're selling close to what the Wii is selling now, which we have already established as terrible sales.

Agreed. When Zelda comes out the Wii will be right back in Number 1 again, and PS3 is down YoY, 360 will be down YoY when all is said and done, so...

Here lies the dearly departed Nintendomination Thread.

I agree.

Wii has'nt fallen from grace. It's just slowed down abit. It's stil going to be number one this gen. So,I'd have to disagree with the OP.