By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Geohot Pleading with Community for Donations in PS3 Jailbreak Case

fordy said:
Wagram said:

That's the lame excuse they're going to give.

How about this one....

If Sony wins this case, it will be the stepping stone towards bigger control by a corporation on goods that you purchase from now on. It might seem like much control now, but let several more cases go through, with more and more siding towards the corporatist front, since they're the ones with the money to fight for this.

The future will be comprised of options of what to buy, but once you buy it, your options are invalid. If you buy a car from GM, you'll only be able to use fuel from Exxon, Tyres from Bridgestone, all at insanely jacked up prices. Why? Because you will no longer have a say in what you do with the things that you buy.

Now, to all those that think that people that are against Sony in this case are automatically supporting piracy, the same could be said for the ones supporting Sony as ones who do not care about their freedom as a consumer, who support the corporatist movement, who WANT their lives to be dictated to them by the corporations, the very companies whose business plans do NOT include protecting the consumer, but to make money.

It's pointless to argue with these people.  They are simply bandwagon folks that suddenly became anti-modding when the PS3 was hacked.  None of these guys care about the Iphone being jail-broken or the Wii or the 360.  They could care less about their rights because it hurts their precious Sony.  Just be glad that their views make no difference in the grand scheme of things, only the courts views matter.  If it were up to them the PS3 would require DNA testing to log in and a Sony representative would come to their house and scan their PS3 before they can turn it on.  They are so blinded that they cannot see the bigger picture, which is basic rights.

Around the Network
voty2000 said:
fordy said:
Wagram said:

How about this one....

If Sony wins this case, it will be the stepping stone towards bigger control by a corporation on goods that you purchase from now on. It might seem like much control now, but let several more cases go through, with more and more siding towards the corporatist front, since they're the ones with the money to fight for this.

The future will be comprised of options of what to buy, but once you buy it, your options are invalid. If you buy a car from GM, you'll only be able to use fuel from Exxon, Tyres from Bridgestone, all at insanely jacked up prices. Why? Because you will no longer have a say in what you do with the things that you buy.

Now, to all those that think that people that are against Sony in this case are automatically supporting piracy, the same could be said for the ones supporting Sony as ones who do not care about their freedom as a consumer, who support the corporatist movement, who WANT their lives to be dictated to them by the corporations, the very companies whose business plans do NOT include protecting the consumer, but to make money.

It's pointless to argue with these people.  They are simply bandwagon folks that suddenly became anti-modding when the PS3 was hacked.  None of these guys care about the Iphone being jail-broken or the Wii or the 360.  They could care less about their rights because it hurts their precious Sony.  Just be glad that their views make no difference in the grand scheme of things, only the courts views matter.  If it were up to them the PS3 would require DNA testing to log in and a Sony representative would come to their house and scan their PS3 before they can turn it on.  They are so blinded that they cannot see the bigger picture, which is basic rights.

Bullshit. I own both of those consoles as well and I will not support pirating or modding of any kind. I'm really starting to hope that Sony does start bricking consoles that are found with pirated software on it.

Wagram said:
voty2000 said:
fordy said:
Wagram said:

How about this one....

Bullshit. I own both of those consoles as well and I will not support pirating or modding of any kind. I'm really starting to hope that Sony does start bricking consoles that are found with pirated software on it.

Grow up.

buglebum said:
Wagram said:
voty2000 said:
fordy said:
Wagram said:

How about this one....

Grow up.

Boo hoo :( Cry me a river

Wagram said:
buglebum said:
Wagram said:
voty2000 said:
fordy said:
Wagram said:

How about this one....

Grow up.

Boo hoo :( Cry me a river

Wagram for President xD

Around the Network
NiKKoM said:
deskpro2k3 said:
NiKKoM said:

Imagine if for some reason, Microsoft or Apple (Windows or Mac OSX) were acting like Sony, and that you couldn’t access anything on your computer without their authorization? You want to install Skype, you can’t because Microsoft didn’t “approve” it.. because they want you to use MSN Messenger instead… Then where is your freedom on your own machine? that's why I donated.

This is a hack not done on a PC, and your example is not convincing.

It is your money, I don't care what you do with it.  But, that was sad.

it's not about the hack.. you are missing the bigger picture.. the case could be a precedent for all future devices.. where in the end you as a consumer would only be a license holder, not the owner, to use the device you buy..

license software that you dont own. the only thing you do own is the hardware. you wasted 50 dollars

CPU: Ryzen 7950X
GPU: MSI 4090 SUPRIM X 24G
Motherboard: MSI MEG X670E GODLIKE
RAM: CORSAIR DOMINATOR PLATINUM 32GB DDR5
SSD: Kingston FURY Renegade 4TB
Gaming Console: PLAYSTATION 5
deskpro2k3 said:
NiKKoM said:
deskpro2k3 said:
NiKKoM said:

Imagine if for some reason, Microsoft or Apple (Windows or Mac OSX) were acting like Sony, and that you couldn’t access anything on your computer without their authorization? You want to install Skype, you can’t because Microsoft didn’t “approve” it.. because they want you to use MSN Messenger instead… Then where is your freedom on your own machine? that's why I donated.

This is a hack not done on a PC, and your example is not convincing.

It is your money, I don't care what you do with it.  But, that was sad.

it's not about the hack.. you are missing the bigger picture.. the case could be a precedent for all future devices.. where in the end you as a consumer would only be a license holder, not the owner, to use the device you buy..

license software that you dont own. the only thing you do own is the hardware. you wasted 50 dollars

Don't worry. Sony is working hard on this case so you are merely licensing consoles from now on as well...

This is hilarious

A guy manufacturers and sells a bunch of swiss army knives

Thousands of people buy them, and a fraction of those people use them to stab people.

The families of the stabbing victims do not press charges against the murders, but against the manufacturer of a perfectly safe, legal product.

The manufacturer is too poor to afford a lawyer, and appeals for donations

You people criticise him.

You are sticking up for Sony because you would stick up for Sony if the company personified itself, walked in and kicked a baby in the face. If this exact situation happened to any other company you would support geohot.

Donated. Not a huge amount cos I'm poor as hell, but I gave what I could.

GL geohot

scottie said:

This is hilarious

A guy manufacturers and sells a bunch of swiss army knives

Thousands of people buy them, and a fraction of those people use them to stab people.

The families of the stabbing victims do not press charges against the murders, but against the manufacturer of a perfectly safe, legal product.

The manufacturer is too poor to afford a lawyer, and appeals for donations

You people criticise him.

You are sticking up for Sony because you would stick up for Sony if the company personified itself, walked in and kicked a baby in the face. If this exact situation happened to any other company you would support geohot.

Donated. Not a huge amount cos I'm poor as hell, but I gave what I could.

GL geohot

I would chuckle a little and then continue to support Sony.

GH, I hope you lose.

fordy said:
Wagram said:

How about this one....

Logicians have a phrase for this fallacy. It's called "Slippery Slope".