By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Call of Duty Questions

Given that everyone is pointing toward Black Ops as the better game, how come the petitions put forward for the PS3 version? Storm in a teacup?

Around the Network

I never had a problem with Black Ops on PS3, I see a lot of people talk about issues but I never encountered them. Anyway, Black Ops Multiplayer is much more balanced than MW2. Plus in Black Ops you can do split screen online which is a huge plus if you have a friend or sibling to play with and MW2 only lets you do splitscreen online for Spec Ops. IMO Zombies > Spec Ops and you can do zombies splitscreen online aswell. I enjoyed the campaign in Black Ops much more, I didn't really like the MW2 campaign very much. I just have a much better overall experience with Black Ops.

Can't comment on the PS3 version but the X360 version of Blops runs like hot knife through butter, I personally think that COD4 is the better of all 3. Closely followed by Blops, MW2 is just a camp-fest-noob-tube-rpg-marathon-lightweight-tac-knifing-load-of-shit. especially on PS3, I've played MW2 on a friends PS3 for a while now, and I must say, the hacked lobbies are so f'ing frequent. About 1 in 4 would be a good approximate for the amount i've encountered, at one time there were 3 hacked lobbies in a row, so that was a bit insane.

Bottom line, I'd highly recommend COD4, then maybe Black Ops.

Disconnect and self destruct, one bullet a time.

Saruk said:

I never had a problem with Black Ops on PS3, I see a lot of people talk about issues but I never encountered them. Anyway, Black Ops Multiplayer is much more balanced than MW2. Plus in Black Ops you can do split screen online which is a huge plus if you have a friend or sibling to play with and MW2 only lets you do splitscreen online for Spec Ops. IMO Zombies > Spec Ops and you can do zombies splitscreen online aswell. I enjoyed the campaign in Black Ops much more, I didn't really like the MW2 campaign very much. I just have a much better overall experience with Black Ops.

Do the games have local co-op as well?

I'm swaying a bit towards Blops atm given the feedback.

Personally? I'd suggest getting neither. You should really just pick up CoD4 if you don't have it, and stick with it if you do.  It's the best CoD on the PS3 (campaign wise, I'd say CoD2 was better on the 360), it is the one that made the franchise ridiculously popular for a reason. Sure, the graphics and some of the mechanics of the lobby system are a bit dated now, but the actual gameplay is still much better than any of the other CoDs.

Around the Network
Fufinu said:
Saruk said:

Do the games have local co-op as well?

I'm swaying a bit towards Blops atm given the feedback.

You can do zombies local co-op and you can do Combat Training local splitscreen if your connected to online, and if your not online you can fight bots in offline split screen multiplayer.

Fufinu said:

I am seeing some attractive offers on Call of Duty games and I am now thinking of taking the plunge back into the game (the last CoD I played was CoD 2). I am not a big FPS fan, generally preferring games in other genres (my only FPS is KZ2), however the good prices are tempting.

Now my questions:

What should I buy MW2 or Blops?

Is the MW2 community still active and are games less glitchy than the Blops ones?

Is the single player of one better than the other?

Also, how long would Activision keep servers live for its games?

Questions from a PS3 only owner.

1. I recommend MW2 over Black Ops because you're a PS3 guy. I've heard the PS3 version is broken as shit and the matchmaking is messed up on Black Ops. 

2. I play the 360 version of MW2 and there's usually between 100 and 200 thousand people playing it, so I gotta figure the PS3 version would have just a bit less than that. 

3. I didn't like the Black Ops single player at all really, and the MW2 one was pretty fun (but very short). 

4. The CoD4 servers are still up and that game was Nov 2007 so no worry about MW2 or BO servers being shut anytime soon.

Also zombies mode is a factor. You only get that on Black Ops. Its very fun if you can get 3 or 4 guys playing it. I've gotta think about 1/4 to 1/3 of my time playing Black Ops has been zombies mode. 

If you're lookin to get into the CoD series I'd say get MW2. I will however say its a shame you didn't play CoD4 because that was the best in the series by far and there's no point getting it now because the fanbase is so small now (only like 20-30k on the 360).

And I recommend you get Resistance 3 in September!

all i know is that MW2 will get patch 1.12 for PS3 very soon like literally days from now that will address the hackers and some glitches similiar to what happened in BO

i would go with both MW2 is cheaper these days anyway, i got mine for $20 it also has spec ops mode BO doesn't

i enjoyed the SP in MW2

Play Me

BLOPS is the better game.

Fufinu said:

I am seeing some attractive offers on Call of Duty games and I am now thinking of taking the plunge back into the game (the last CoD I played was CoD 2). I am not a big FPS fan, generally preferring games in other genres (my only FPS is KZ2), however the good prices are tempting.

Now my questions:

What should I buy MW2 or Blops? Black Ops IMO, but im starting to miss MW2, but if you didnt play neither, go for Black Ops

Is the MW2 community still active and are games less glitchy than the Blops ones? Yes, its still very active, and the games are little bit less glitchy than Black Ops

Is the single player of one better than the other? Black Ops SP is ten billion times better, and the best COD SP this gen by far.

Also, how long would Activision keep servers live for its games? Really long? They still have their COD4 servers running.

Questions from a PS3 only owner.