By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - NGP vs 3DS: Which One Do You Want, Or Will Be Getting?

NGP vs 3DS: Which One Do You Want, Or Will Be Getting?

I want a NGP 55 20.60%

I will be getting a NGP 46 17.23%

I want a 3DS 40 14.98%

I will be getting a 3DS 91 34.08%

I don't like handhelds 5 1.87%

I just want to see the results of the poll 30 11.24%

Total:267

I'm getting a 3DS at launch. I have no choice because Nintendo got me with the Pokemon bug as a child.

Around the Network

If the DS is anything to go by, then i think the 3DS will have more intresting and better games, i want one but will probably never get one, can't afford another game system (timewise or moneywise)

I'll be getting the NGP on day 1. I'm loving the 5" OLED screen, and the specs under the hood. I swear once you've seen how good OLED is you never want to go back....I guess I'm a little bias, but then again having owned the Samsung Galaxy S for a while and enjoying it's screen for videos, games, and browsing, I just can't go back, and the NGP thus far has everything my phone can do, but much much more on the multi media side just with out the phone part, and this has me excited.

I've seen the 3DS yesterday in action, the 3D effect works well, however, the viewing angles are bad while in 3D, just moving it off center and you get cross talk breaking the whole 3D effect. Not only that but all games I've seen have very noticeable jaggies which seem to be more prevalent in 3D than in 2D. The screen it’s self wasn’t to bad in 2D, view angles seemed allot better, although I don’t know what brightness setting it was on.

Apart from the above the touch screen is crap, resistative touch, screw that, give me capacitive touch, that's what I'm use to, that’s the standard, and it what Nintendo should have included on the 3DS.

As for the games, I played Resident Evil and Kid icarus, now while they looked good in 2D and the 3D worked well, the controls for both games were horrible, and I came off thinking "man these games would control better with a second analogue stick". 

Kid icarus for example while flying, you have to use the stylus and the bottom screen as a track pad to move the cursor to aim, I felt that if I wasn't able to simple tap the screen directly on the enemies I wanted to shoot, similar to how wii works with it's on rails shooters, then there was no point of have a track pad when a second analogue stick could have done the job and been more comfortable in my hands. As for the ground combat....yeah its shit, the camera control is abysmal, why on earth would thy use the right analogue trigger as the sole means to move the camera I don't know.

As for Resident evil....yeah the controls from the 360/PS3 didn't translate well. while true that all version of RE5 has you stop and shoot, this same mechanic on the 3DS didn't work as they have you aim with the same analogue stick you use to move around, there where many times I would need to draw my gun but forgot that my analogue wasn't dead center which then meant my aim was thrown to the direction the analogue stick was at. This is something the other versions didn't encounter as they delegated the right analogue stick to aim. This is another game where I felt that a second analogue stick was required.

All in all the games visually looked great but they controlled bad....This is very unusual of Nintendo. One thing is for sure, all the criticisms the PSP got for NOT having a second analogue stick are sadly now true for the 3DS. What makes it worse is that this time around Nintendo is actually going for the console experience as shown by the many big titles they have revealed. To be honest there is no reason why they couldn't have added another analogue stick, I mean they would have known about the criticisms the PSP got for only having 1 analogue stick and should have tried to avoid such criticisms themselves.

To me the NGP seems like it's hitting all key elements, it's got the touch screen and track pad, it's the dual analogue screen, it's got the power under the hood for graphics, it's got a beautiful 5" OLED screen and it's got some 1st part games already announced which interest me, this is what has essentially sold me on the NGP for day 1, while it may not have a 3D screen it’s no biggie as the good stuff out weighs the bad stuff. As for the 3DS, the glassless 3D worked, and worked well when viewing it on the sweet spot, but what is a no go for me was how easy the 3D effect could be broken and lost when moved, and this for a hand held that will be moved around as I game is a nuisance, but what really made it a no go where the gimped controls......All I can say is, Nintendo better not Fuck up Pokemon as it's the only Nintendo franchise I care about and the only franchise that will currently make me buy the 3DS.

My 2 very long cents XD

fordy said:

I have plans to get the 3DS, though I think we may be seeing a lot more cross-platform games with these two compared to the current gen. The control methods are very similar. The main difference would be the NGPs lack of a second screen, but some games could rearrange menuing systems for a similar outcome.

Or 3ds' lack of second thumb stick, since it's really cool for fps games (though I hate them).

OT: I want an NGP and I will buy one at some point. It all comes down to the price and whether I have a job by the time it's available.

If I were really rich I would buy a 3ds just for pokemon games.

I ´m buying both, already pre-ordered the 3DS and will do the same with the NGP if Square decides to move FF Type 0 from the PSP. 

pwin´ every other villain since 1994

Around the Network

Well 3DS of course as I want Nintendo games.

R.I.P Mr Iwata :'(

Might get NGP due to the fact I love collecting trophies, but probally wont get either as I dont play handhelds all that often.

NGP !!! The lineup of games for it appeals to me more then the 3DS.

Who's the best Pac, Nas, and Big. Just leave it to that.

PLAYSTATION®3 is the future.....NOW.......B_E_L_I_E_V_E

Slaughterhouse Is The Sh*t  .... NOW ........ B_E_L_I_E_V_E

naruball said:
fordy said:

I have plans to get the 3DS, though I think we may be seeing a lot more cross-platform games with these two compared to the current gen. The control methods are very similar. The main difference would be the NGPs lack of a second screen, but some games could rearrange menuing systems for a similar outcome.

Or 3ds' lack of second thumb stick, since it's really cool for fps games (though I hate them).

OT: I want an NGP and I will buy one at some point. It all comes down to the price and whether I have a job by the time it's available.

If I were really rich I would buy a 3ds just for pokemon games.

The touch screen is also an analog input, so that means the device has two, so I'm sitting by my original claim that there will be more third parties looking to multiplatform portable titles this upcoming gen. Another point that I didn't make is that both portables will be supporting the ARM architecture this time around.

I'd be interested to see someone develop a game that utilises the NGP's dual analogs and the touchscreen at the same time. I think that would be a very interesting step.