By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Pachter Blasts Take-Two

Wierd double post.

Around the Network
HappySqurriel said:
Sullla said:

Well, if Pachter is blasting Take-Two, that means it's probably time to start buying their stock...

Seriously though, I actually agree with him (for once). This company is still in very shaky financial shape. I've never seen any other publisher have so many hit franchises, yet manage to lose money on a consistent basis. With Bioshock's strong sales, Take-Two definitely should have done better this year. Somewhere in this company, a lot of money is getting wasted away.

To any potential investors out there: do not buy this stock unless you have a VERY high tolerance of risk.

In North America Take Two had 68 games on the charts in 2007 with 56 of those selling less than 250,000 units. The breakdown by console is as follows:

22 (16 below 250,000)- XBox 360
14 (11 below 250,000)- PSP
13 (12 below 250,000)- PS3
10 (9 below 250,000)- PS2
6 (5 below 250,000)- Wii
3 (3 below 250,000)- DS

When you look at the distribution you will notice that they have been heavily supporting the systems which are selling the slowest and have the highest development costs. Personally, looking at their year it becomes clear why they're losing money being that they're (probably) somewhat profitable on their PSP, PS2, Nintendo DS and Wii libraries but are certainly losing a fortune on their XBox 360 and PS3 libraries.

Yikes, and I thought EA made the worse bet this generation.   Overweighting the 360 is understandable but almost 4:1 against the Wii?  What's even more insane is supporting the PSP almost 5:1 over the DS?  Where has Take Two's management been for the last 3 years?

bdbdbd said:
Fuck it! I don't wanna agree with that horrible man.

Btw. How much M$ paid for the new(?) exclusive content? Looks like TT really went to prostitution.

Microsoft paid Take-2, $50million dollars for the exclusive content..

Nintendo & Sony Supporter

Best PS3 CommercialBest Wii Commercial

I don't know what more you Wii owners want from TT. They have DRAMATICALLY increased their support coming from the Gamecube. You cant expect them to get GTA4 out for the Wii when it was clearly NOT designed for it, AND they are having enough trouble even getting it up and running in time to launch for the PS360, thats ridiculous and completely unfair.

Simply shitting on them because you want Wii to have every game in existence is ridiculous. And Pachter is likely butt hurt because Bioshock did so well. Wasn't he one of the ones who predicted it to do horribly?

albionus said:
HappySqurriel said:
Sullla said:

Well, if Pachter is blasting Take-Two, that means it's probably time to start buying their stock...

Seriously though, I actually agree with him (for once). This company is still in very shaky financial shape. I've never seen any other publisher have so many hit franchises, yet manage to lose money on a consistent basis. With Bioshock's strong sales, Take-Two definitely should have done better this year. Somewhere in this company, a lot of money is getting wasted away.

To any potential investors out there: do not buy this stock unless you have a VERY high tolerance of risk.

In North America Take Two had 68 games on the charts in 2007 with 56 of those selling less than 250,000 units. The breakdown by console is as follows:

22 (16 below 250,000)- XBox 360
14 (11 below 250,000)- PSP
13 (12 below 250,000)- PS3
10 (9 below 250,000)- PS2
6 (5 below 250,000)- Wii
3 (3 below 250,000)- DS

When you look at the distribution you will notice that they have been heavily supporting the systems which are selling the slowest and have the highest development costs. Personally, looking at their year it becomes clear why they're losing money being that they're (probably) somewhat profitable on their PSP, PS2, Nintendo DS and Wii libraries but are certainly losing a fortune on their XBox 360 and PS3 libraries.

Yikes, and I thought EA made the worse bet this generation.   Overweighting the 360 is understandable but almost 4:1 against the Wii?  What's even more insane is supporting the PSP almost 5:1 over the DS?  Where has Take Two's management been for the last 3 years?

The thing that really bothers me is that an average Nintendo DS game potentially costs 10% of what the average XBox 360 or PS3 game costs to develop; this means that the sales you need to turn a healthy profit are tiny in comparison to what would be necessary to turn a profit from and XBox 360 or PS3 project. At the same time sales of the Nintendo DS ensure that (pretty much) any game with a half decent game will sell 100,000+ copies. All these factors combined means that a company like Take Two should balance their "investment" in PS3/XBox 360 games with a healthy dose of DS games (possibly 4 DS games for every PS3/XBox 360 game), and yet Take 2 only releases 3 game in a year?

Around the Network
Xyrax said:
I don't know what more you Wii owners want from TT. They have DRAMATICALLY increased their support coming from the Gamecube. You cant expect them to get GTA4 out for the Wii when it was clearly NOT designed for it, AND they are having enough trouble even getting it up and running in time to launch for the PS360, thats ridiculous and completely unfair.

Simply shitting on them because you want Wii to have every game in existence is ridiculous. And Pachter is likely butt hurt because Bioshock did so well. Wasn't he one of the ones who predicted it to do horribly?

Not every game but 6 vs 35?  They made GTA for the PSP they can make it for the Wii (and for goodness sake I don't mean port the PSP game I mean make a good effort at an original GTA).  If not GTA how about a good orignial FPS, RTS, RPG, sports game, something, anything good.

Also they're not being "expletived" on because Wii fans want every game ever made o nthe Wii but because this again shows what is becoming increasingly undeniable, the 360 cannot support all the good games being put on it and 3rd parties are going to have to start putting good original games on the Wii whether they like it or not. 

Xyrax said:

This may be the only chance I get to say his:

Xyrax, I love your sig and posting style.

----

OK, back to the quote. I don't expect GTA4 on the Wii.  What I would like is some actual support for it though (ie not Carnival Games or PS2 ports.)

Did Patcher predict bad news for Bioshock? If he did, I lol.

There is no such thing as a console war. This is the first step to game design.

TheBigFatJ said:
jhlennon1 said:
I think the Wii need to realize that even with their great sales the best games are not going to be on the Wii unless they are published by Nintendo.

What exactly are you saying -- are you saying that the best third party games will skip the Wii for some reason, regardless of its sales?  That doesn't reflect reality, and going forward I think you'll find the opposite is true.

What I am saying is that they best 3rd party franchises cannot be found on the Wii.

S-E - Final Fantasy XIII = PS3

Konami - Metal Gear Solid 4 = PS3

R* - Grand Theft Auto = 360/PS3

Capcom - Resident Evil 5 = 360/PS3

Ubisoft, EA, Activision, Atlus, Level 5, etc... all not putting their best work on the Wii.

Whether it stays that way forever? Doubtful. But given the length of time it takes to make these best games it's pretty much a given LOL at Wii support.

Stupid double post.

I actually agree with him here. The problem with TT is not primarily their game development quality and franchises, they are bleeding money because their management is just flat stupid.

Having one of the biggest selling games of the year and one of the biggest franchises ever and yet losing that much money? They have some of the strongest properties of any game company, they should not have to be relying upon one game to take them out of the red.