By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - worst losses on console (xbox vs xbox 360 vs ps3)?

PS3 has lost more money than any other console.   Just look at the IR data from Sony and MS and consider what attributes those figures and it's quite clear that the PS3 has lost more money than any other console in history.

Here is a factor to consider.  Each game divsion has several products that attribute to the profit and loss of that division.  If a division posts a $2 billion loss yet still houses some very profitable products, then that means one or more of the other products is actualy creating losses far worse than the final total.   For example.  $2 billion total loss.  $4 billion loss from Console X and $1 billion profit from Console Y and $1 billion profit from Console Z. 

We can only speculate the exact figures in those reports because it's never broken down by device (unless you are Nintendo).   But we can extrapolate fgiures based on known profits from products Y and Z to estimate what the total losses are for product X.

I don't have time to do the research at the moment but I will soon.  And I am confident it will show that the PS3 has lost more money than the Xbox or Xbox 360.

The rEVOLution is not being televised

Around the Network

Wii

Joking, it's amazing how profitable the Wii is for Nintendo! Insane.

On topic I'd say that PS3 probably has the highest losses up to date but has at least 4-5 years to recoup those losses by selling HW in developing countries such as latin markets and middle east etc, like in the case of PS2.

Second would be the original Xbox, I loved that thing, but it must have cost MS dearly. And there is no way to recoup those losses, but it could be argued that the entry of Xbox signalled the fact that MS was interested in the gaming market and was used as a foundation to build up it's userbase.

Third is obviously 360, however, it's likely to go into profits now. Pretty amazing if you think about the high HW failure rate early on in it's life cycle, that they've managed to salvage the loss made as a result, which was probably no small number.

Disconnect and self destruct, one bullet a time.

Right now it's PS3, though it may eventually turn things around enough to where it leaves Xbox 1 as the biggest loss taker.

PS3 most likely won't ever hit actual overall profitability though.  360 assuredly will, it's actually not that far off from it.

PS3 followed by Xbox 1. 360 has made profit so that shouldn't even be here. Gamers division from Microsoft is not only Xbox 360 you know, which is why they lost money for a while after 360 was out. They been making profit on 360 since 2007 if i am not mistaken.