By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Against the grain: Why do we Europeans hate RPG's?

PhantomLink said:
Conegamer said:
PhantomLink said:

Is this about RPG's on Wii, RPG's on Nintendo Systems or RPG's in general?

Pretty much about RPG's on Wii, but really on any system. I tried to make that clear by putting it in "Nintendo discussion" and by making sure all the games mentioned were Wii-releases

I wasn't clear because in the front page the sub-forum is not shown and lazy people like me dont check the sub forum after.

I dont think that European Wii owners are too busy playing fifa or racing games, just look at the sales, not of them have amazing numbers(except for Mario Kart Wii).

The sales that dont give me hope are Golden Sun's (yeah not a Wii game but still)

Only 30K after 8 weeks.

Aw man, such poor sales for a great game. 

But, would you really know about it? No adverts, no knowledge, no advertising...so, I'll blaim that more on Nintendo than anyone else. Sad to see such a great game struggle though...

@A203D- That's an interesting way of looking at things, I suppose. It may not be taking off, and maybe that's because of a lack of quality  titles in past generations...

Your comment about WRPG's is true though. Mainly because it's much more macho and also easier to run around with guns and big swords and weird dialogue etc., or because it reminds people of WoW. I dunno. But what I do know is that this series deserves all the success it can get!

Here lies the dearly departed Nintendomination Thread.

Around the Network
MrT-Tar said:

Both DQVIII and IX sold more in EMEAA than in the Americas:

PosGameAmericasJapanEMEAAWorldwide
Dragon Quest IX: Sentinels of the Starry Skies (DS)
Nintendo
0.41 4.34 0.67 5.42
Dragon Quest VIII: Journey of the Cursed King (PS2)
Square Enix
0.63 3.68 0.69 5.00

Pokemon was massive here in Europe as well.

It's generally a vicious cycle with JRPGs in Europe, games don't get released, so people guess there isn't a market for them, leading to less being released.  This cycle is less true now, due to the successes of games like FFVII and Pokemon.

For example, during the 16bit era, Europe didn't get any of these SNES RPGS:

Final Fantasies IV - VI

Dragon Quest V and VI

All Fire Emblems

Ogre Battle MotBQ

Tactics Ogre

Seiken Densetsu 3

Earthbound

Super Mario RPG

Chrono Trigger

Tales of Phantasia

Bahamut Lagoon

During the 5th gen, things got a little bit better, however Europe still missed out on:

Tactics Ogre port

Chrono Trigger port

Tales of Phantasia port

Tales of Destiny

Tales of Eternia

Dragon Quest VII

Valkyrie Profile

All Arc the Lad

Ogre Battle 64

Chrono Cross

By the 6th and 7th gens, Europe gets most RPGs that are localised to the US, however last gen we still didn't get these:

Radiant Historia

Baten Kaitos Origins

Tales of the Abyss

Tales of Destiny remake

Magical Vacation

Some of the Xenosaga games

I'm not sure why the text got smaller and smaller, but...

Maybe the issue is brand recognition. If the brand is well-known (or well-advertised, you should know how many adverts there were here in the UK for DQIX...), then it'll sell well. However, unestablished brands and new ventures into the market find either short term success, like Tri, or none at all. 

Golden Sun has already been mentioned, but what about, say, Tri? Have you seen this week's sales?

Monster Hunter Tri (Wii)
Nintendo
41 1,499 315,972

Now, that may not look too bad, but go back only a couple weeks, and look at the sales, only 970 one week, and I believe 1 week not too long ago it didn't even reach 10 sales in EMEAA! 

So this lack of long-term support is no doubt dettering developers and publishers alike, hence the lack of these games and other ones you mentioned in the UK. Which is sad

Europeans have only had decent exposure to RPGs sinc FFVII most companies stealth release their titles here the ones that are marketed like FF, DQ and Pokemon do very well. Translations were a huge hurdle back in the Snes days particularly for RPGs although the irony is that we got the Soulblazer trilogy published by Nintendo themselves  after Enix didn't want to do a western release while America didn't even though the US only needs an English version which was available.

Wyrdness said:

Europeans have only had decent exposure to RPGs sinc FFVII most companies stealth release their titles here the ones that are marketed like FF, DQ and Pokemon do very well. Translations were a huge hurdle back in the Snes days particularly for RPGs although the irony is that we got the Soulblazer trilogy published by Nintendo themselves  after Enix didn't want to do a western release while America didn't even though the US only needs an English version which was available.

Pretty much, yeah. More advertising and more faith in the market means more sales which means more faith for developers which means more localisation efforts.

You don't get money for nothing, after all

Machina said:

Because JRPGs are boring

so are wrpg

Around the Network
Machina said:

Because JRPGs are boring.

Woah woah woah, do you have any evidence/reasoning to back this up?

Or is it just from personal experience? You should know better than most that that could be seen as baiting and/or trolling, so I hope you have some reasoning...

On a similar tangent, many people see RPG's, not as boring, but either:

• Too time consuming
  • Too complex
  • A mixture of both
So I can see where the issue comes from. Personally, I find the way in which RPG's are handled by the different publishers interesting-it's certainly one of the fastest-growing genres, and also one of the best, in many people's eyes. If it continues to evolve it's only a matter of time before we find another masterpiece on a similar scale of Mario Galaxy, Final Fantasy 7 and Ocarina of Time. It's all a matter of patience really...

I think because Europe has never been a priority for japanese companies and therefore they haven't really tried promoting them.

Even with Pokemon being a success, the main games always sold less in EMEAA except for Yellow. EMEAA is huge, but it can't even sell more Pokemon than Japan which tells you things.

Final Fantasy it's the same way, except for XIII on PS3 where americas sold slightly less (and 360 too I guess but XIII in Japan had no chance there), but that's due to a whole other thing.

I am european and I love wrpg:s and some jrpg:s.

melbye said:

I think because Europe has never been a priority for japanese companies and therefore they haven't really tried promoting them.

Perhaps it should be in the future then!

@stopstopp-Interesting view there- perhaps it isn't as big a region, but it still contributes a lot to sales!

Also, have you seen the sales of pokemon in Japan? Madness