By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - PS3 global sales rocket to 47.9 million

Munkeh111 said:

So it is now only 3m behind the 360 {shipped}, I think there is a good chance that it could pass it at the end of this year

I don't thinks so considering Kinect has been selling so well lately.

◑ ◔
╔═╗ IMMA FIRIN MAH LAZOR!
║▓▒░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░
╚═╝

I've been on this site since 2007, but I've never really used an account until now :)

Around the Network
Hyruken said:

Ok i just noticed something with the PS3 numbers which don't add up. Or it could just be me being a mong!

They just said on the same quarter last year that PS3 numbers are down 0.2m.

Meaning for the same quater last year PS3 shipped 6.5m. Because if it did 6.3m adding 0.2m = 6.5m, right?

BUT

We now go look at the VGC numbers for the period from October to december 2009

6.9m PS3's sold.....

So even by Sony's own words VGC had it over-tracked by at 400k in the oct-dec quarter of 2009 http://www.vgchartz.com/hwtable.php?cons[]=PS3&reg[]=Total&start=40097&end=40181

Which means those additional 400k did not exist. They were not made thus not included in the shipped numbers.

Is that right?

I'm pretty sure there are consoles on the shelves besides the ones that are shipped, like, for example, the ones shipped the quarter before.

DavieTurtle said:
Munkeh111 said:

So it is now only 3m behind the 360 {shipped}, I think there is a good chance that it could pass it at the end of this year

I don't thinks so considering Kinect has been selling so well lately.

Thats true but Kinect is cooling down and PS3 and Move are gooing to heat up with some releases like Killzone 3, SOCOM 4 and Heroes on the Move

theprof00 said:
Hyruken said:

Ok i just noticed something with the PS3 numbers which don't add up. Or it could just be me being a mong!

Meaning for the same quater last year PS3 shipped 6.5m. Because if it did 6.3m adding 0.2m = 6.5m, right?

BUT

6.9m PS3's sold.....

So even by Sony's own words VGC had it over-tracked by at 400k in the oct-dec quarter of 2009 http://www.vgchartz.com/hwtable.php?cons[]=PS3&reg[]=Total&start=40097&end=40181

Which means those additional 400k did not exist. They were not made thus not included in the shipped numbers.

Is that right?

I'm pretty sure there are consoles on the shelves besides the ones that are shipped, like, for example, the ones shipped the quarter before.

Yea, that would seem to make the most sense.  Plus, something I've always wondered, when vgchartz does adjust sales figures, where exactly do they put the adjustments?  Do they go back and adjust each week from where the problems were or do they plop it into a couple of weeks?  This is the only thing I've always had trouble with in terms of understanding vgchartz adjustments.  But yea, there's stock in the stores before the holidays that likely don't sell until the holidays.

Money can't buy happiness. Just video games, which make me happy.

This is confusing me, so is PS3 undertracked? what about Xbox 360 is that overtracked or undertracked?

What should be the gap between the two consoles now?

Around the Network
Hyruken said:

BUT

6.9m PS3's sold.....

Is that right?

uhm.. the christmas quarter is the stronges sales wise for .. obvious reasons, so it makes sense more consoles are sold than shipped in that quarter, right?

btw, retailers often start to prepare for holiday in summer (or so I heard), so quite a few orders probably were made in calendar quarter 3

Biddles said:

This is confusing me, so is PS3 undertracked? what about Xbox 360 is that overtracked or undertracked?

well the 360 definitely isn't undertracked right now - according to VGC data there were only 300k units not sold at the end of the year, which frankly is unbelieveably low (for comparison PS3 had 1.6million "on shelves" and Wii ~1m according to VGC)

Wagram said:

Sony is making a very nice comeback indeed. A $199.99 PS3 would break the foudation of the world!

haha yes...but i think if Sony cut the price it will firstly be to 249$...but u see even with the higher price tag its dominating Japan & Europe 2011...they should cut it in the US next to the Killzone release and there would be a big problem ^^

TT Makaveli said:
Wagram said:

Sony is making a very nice comeback indeed. A $199.99 PS3 would break the foudation of the world!

haha yes...but i think if Sony cut the price it will firstly be to 249$...but u see even with the higher price tag its dominating Japan & Europe 2011...they should cut it in the US next to the Killzone release and there would be a big problem ^^

They dont really need to cut the price in Japan or Europe, but in Europe the UK is a place they could use some sort of edge, but really those regions will continue the success for PS3. the only place PS3 is not doing well (comparatively) is the US.

however i dont think Killzone 3 will be able to give an advantage in the US, theres only a few games i can see make the PS3 a bit more popular in the US, and i think when Uncharted 3 is released it will secure the 3m needed, i dont see it happening before then, but imho i can see Uncharted 3 being the game that takes PS3 past the 360.

A203D said:
TT Makaveli said:
Wagram said:

They dont really need to cut the price in Japan or Europe, but in Europe the UK is a place they could use some sort of edge, but really those regions will continue the success for PS3. the only place PS3 is not doing well (comparatively) is the US.

however i dont think Killzone 3 will be able to give an advantage in the US, theres only a few games i can see make the PS3 a bit more popular in the US, and i think when Uncharted 3 is released it will secure the 3m needed, i dont see it happening before then, but imho i can see Uncharted 3 being the game that takes PS3 past the 360.

While it will probably be amazing, Uncharted will not lead to 3 million more PS3's being sold, Killzone 3 would stand a lot more chance of moving PS3's than Uncharted imho

Money can't buy happiness. Just video games, which make me happy.

Lafiel said:

uhm.. the christmas quarter is the stronges sales wise for .. obvious reasons, so it makes sense more consoles are sold than shipped in that quarter, right?

btw, retailers often start to prepare for holiday in summer (or so I heard), so quite a few orders probably were made in calendar quarter 3

Biddles said:

well the 360 definitely isn't undertracked right now - according to VGC data there were only 300k units not sold at the end of the year, which frankly is unbelieveably low (for comparison PS3 had 1.6million "on shelves" and Wii ~1m according to VGC)

Were people not paying attention to sales in November and December.  360 was sold out a portion of December so bad that MS had to grab newly manufactured units and airship them.  So the 300K units makes perfect sense.  Sony did not have that problem and honestly how many 360s does MS have to have in Japan at any given time.  They sell less than 5000 per week. MS could get by having 20,000 in retail channel in Japan at any given time.  Sony would certainly have had 10 times that amount in Japan at any given time. Particulary at the end of the year with Japan holiday sales peaking in early January. Sony sold over 200K consoles in Japan the 1st couple of weeks in 2010 and retailers would expect similiar sales in 2011.  Retailers in EMEAA, NA, and Japan all had to keep PS3 supplies at a good level.  That isnt the case for the 360 where only NA and EMEAA would need to be in good supply and due to MS miscalculation 360 was underproduced resulting in sellouts.  I actually wouldnt be surprised at all if PS3 was in fact overtracked a bit.

Q1 numbers will clear this up as MS gets 360 stock back up to the levels retailers are happy with and Sony balances out where consoles should be.  I expect MS to ship close to a million more than Sony this current quarter.

Its libraries that sell systems not a single game.