By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Official: 360 vs PS3 gap now 2.88m

Why do people feel the need to post threads that will cause trouble.

Around the Network

And yet some PS3 fans still insist the only reason 360 has more units sold is because of the one year advantage, even though the gap is widening! lulz

Above: Best Wii game since Brawl.

snakenobi said:
thx1139 said:
psrock said:
thx1139 said:
pachoo5 said:

That is the shipped gap. There are more PS3s sitting on store shelves than there are 360s sitting on store shelves. The sold through to consumer gap is right at 4 million.

More proper to say that on Jan 1 there were more PS3s on store shelves than there were 360s.  Remember PS3 still had holiday push in Japan to be prepared for. 

I expect 1st qtr shipments for 360 to be about 1 million more than PS3 shipments for the same period.

you want to bet? 

Whatever. If a bet makes you happy.

I just looking at the evidence and 360 was in short supply at the end of the year and very short supply in NA.  MS never has much stock in Japan anyway.  PS3 had no supply issues and needed to have a couple 100 thousand on hand for Japan holiday sales in 2011 to begin the year.

Then look at January so far.  PS3 down 13% YoY so far.  360 up 20% YoY so far and already best January so far.

Best 1st quarter ever for PS3 was last year at 2.2M shipped units. Best 1st quarter ever for for 360 was 1.7M shipped units.

Entering this year MS needs to replenish stock to standard levels.  I feel that is 1M units just by itself.  Add in January sales already of 900K units and MS already breaks the previous best 1st quarter.  1M more units for February and March sales (which is modest. Last year did 1.5M) and you have 3M.

360 was  not in short supply,they met demands.the shortage started in january start fro a small period.

and why even debate 360 stock in japan when it just doesn't sell there,even if there was more stock.how much more could it have sold there?

sony have to ship 2.8m more which they will do easily as last year they had a major supply issue that went on from christmas to may when they got the new RSX chip.

so if sony will ship 2.8 then you mean to say MS will ship 3.8m 360's.not gonna happen.it might equal but not 1m ahead.it is still going in US but after christmas it has dropped considerably in EMEAA

Like others have responded, Sony has yet to ever sell through 2.3m in the 1st quarter of the year.  Add to it, that they are trending down in double digits...  I said it in other posts, they will have to have some really good deals(and actual sell through)in the next 3-4 weeks to get the channel to accept even the 2.2mor 2.3m units.  

Ether way, it is possible that if Sony only ships 1.8m this quarter, that M$ could ship 2.8m(like stated by others, to refill the channel and meet demand). 

scapegoatsqueal said:

And yet some PS3 fans still insist the only reason 360 has more units sold is because of the one year advantage, even though the gap is widening! lulz

You do realize ps3 sold 2 million more in 2010 then 360 did right? And the gap is currently less then MS shipped in the first year 360 was on the market, not to mention ignoring the fact that 360 had a year to drop prices and come out with games over ps3 so taking away 360s last year would be more fair (X years on market compared to X years on market)

landguy1 said:
snakenobi said:
thx1139 said:
psrock said:
thx1139 said:
pachoo5 said:

That is the shipped gap. There are more PS3s sitting on store shelves than there are 360s sitting on store shelves. The sold through to consumer gap is right at 4 million.

More proper to say that on Jan 1 there were more PS3s on store shelves than there were 360s.  Remember PS3 still had holiday push in Japan to be prepared for. 

I expect 1st qtr shipments for 360 to be about 1 million more than PS3 shipments for the same period.

you want to bet? 

I just looking at the evidence and 360 was in short supply at the end of the year and very short supply in NA.  MS never has much stock in Japan anyway.  PS3 had no supply issues and needed to have a couple 100 thousand on hand for Japan holiday sales in 2011 to begin the year.

Then look at January so far.  PS3 down 13% YoY so far.  360 up 20% YoY so far and already best January so far.

Best 1st quarter ever for PS3 was last year at 2.2M shipped units. Best 1st quarter ever for for 360 was 1.7M shipped units.

Entering this year MS needs to replenish stock to standard levels.  I feel that is 1M units just by itself.  Add in January sales already of 900K units and MS already breaks the previous best 1st quarter.  1M more units for February and March sales (which is modest. Last year did 1.5M) and you have 3M.

360 was  not in short supply,they met demands.the shortage started in january start fro a small period.

and why even debate 360 stock in japan when it just doesn't sell there,even if there was more stock.how much more could it have sold there?

sony have to ship 2.8m more which they will do easily as last year they had a major supply issue that went on from christmas to may when they got the new RSX chip.

so if sony will ship 2.8 then you mean to say MS will ship 3.8m 360's.not gonna happen.it might equal but not 1m ahead.it is still going in US but after christmas it has dropped considerably in EMEAA

Like others have responded, Sony has yet to ever sell through 2.3m in the 1st quarter of the year.  Add to it, that they are trending down in double digits...  I said it in other posts, they will have to have some really good deals(and actual sell through)in the next 3-4 weeks to get the channel to accept even the 2.2mor 2.3m units.  

Ether way, it is possible that if Sony only ships 1.8m this quarter, that M$ could ship 2.8m(like stated by others, to refill the channel and meet demand). 

Meh Sony always gets a boost from developing countries that VG chartz misses and they have a massively good line up all they really have to do is start advertising it to make their sales quota 

Around the Network
psrock said:
thx1139 said:
pachoo5 said:

you want to bet? 

I will bet that xbox 360 ships more then ps3 next Quarter.

plz vgc fix the gap numbers its official now 2.8 only

DarkintheLight said:
landguy1 said:
snakenobi said:
thx1139 said:
psrock said:
thx1139 said:
pachoo5 said:

you want to bet? 

Meh Sony always gets a boost from developing countries that VG chartz misses and they have a massively good line up all they really have to do is start advertising it to make their sales quota 

MEH, Thats not going to happen. xbox shipment will be higher this quarter.

bannedagain said:
DarkintheLight said:
landguy1 said:
snakenobi said:
thx1139 said:
psrock said:
thx1139 said:
pachoo5 said:

you want to bet? 

MEH, Thats not going to happen. xbox shipment will be higher this quarter.

If it is it won't be by very much 

scapegoatsqueal said:

the gap is widening, yes IN AMERICA. on a worldwide scale the gap is closing. microsofts total for the year 12.1m, sonys 14.4 = gap closing. oh and 360 IS ahead because of the head start. if ps3 released in 2005, or if xbox 360 released in 2006, then ps3 would be millions ahead and this aint just me saying it. check all of microsofts anf sony's quarterly results since release.