By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Official: 360 vs PS3 gap now 2.88m

psrock said:
thx1139 said:
pachoo5 said:

That is the shipped gap. There are more PS3s sitting on store shelves than there are 360s sitting on store shelves. The sold through to consumer gap is right at 4 million.

More proper to say that on Jan 1 there were more PS3s on store shelves than there were 360s.  Remember PS3 still had holiday push in Japan to be prepared for. 

I expect 1st qtr shipments for 360 to be about 1 million more than PS3 shipments for the same period.

you want to bet? 

Whatever. If a bet makes you happy.

I just looking at the evidence and 360 was in short supply at the end of the year and very short supply in NA.  MS never has much stock in Japan anyway.  PS3 had no supply issues and needed to have a couple 100 thousand on hand for Japan holiday sales in 2011 to begin the year.

Then look at January so far.  PS3 down 13% YoY so far.  360 up 20% YoY so far and already best January so far.

Best 1st quarter ever for PS3 was last year at 2.2M shipped units. Best 1st quarter ever for for 360 was 1.7M shipped units.

Entering this year MS needs to replenish stock to standard levels.  I feel that is 1M units just by itself.  Add in January sales already of 900K units and MS already breaks the previous best 1st quarter.  1M more units for February and March sales (which is modest. Last year did 1.5M) and you have 3M.

Its libraries that sell systems not a single game.

Around the Network
thx1139 said:
psrock said:
thx1139 said:
pachoo5 said:

That is the shipped gap. There are more PS3s sitting on store shelves than there are 360s sitting on store shelves. The sold through to consumer gap is right at 4 million.

More proper to say that on Jan 1 there were more PS3s on store shelves than there were 360s.  Remember PS3 still had holiday push in Japan to be prepared for. 

I expect 1st qtr shipments for 360 to be about 1 million more than PS3 shipments for the same period.

you want to bet? 

I just looking at the evidence and 360 was in short supply at the end of the year and very short supply in NA.  MS never has much stock in Japan anyway.  PS3 had no supply issues and needed to have a couple 100 thousand on hand for Japan holiday sales in 2011 to begin the year.

Then look at January so far.  PS3 down 13% YoY so far.  360 up 20% YoY so far and already best January so far.

Best 1st quarter ever for PS3 was last year at 2.2M shipped units. Best 1st quarter ever for for 360 was 1.7M shipped units.

Entering this year MS needs to replenish stock to standard levels.  I feel that is 1M units just by itself.  Add in January sales already of 900K units and MS already breaks the previous best 1st quarter.  1M more units for February and March sales (which is modest. Last year did 1.5M) and you have 3M.

Sony wants to ship 15 million for its fiscal year, it needs 2.8 million to do so. You reckon MS is going to ship 3.8 million this quater?

Next Gen 

11/20/09 04:25 makingmusic476 Warning Other (Your avatar is borderline NSFW. Please keep it for as long as possible.)
mundus6 said:

How can this be when 360 has outsold PS3 every week since november except like 1 or 2 weeks? And last week it was pretty much even.

that was according to vgc numbers,these are official shipment numbers

thx1139 said:
psrock said:
thx1139 said:
pachoo5 said:

you want to bet? 

360 was  not in short supply,they met demands.the shortage started in january start fro a small period.

and why even debate 360 stock in japan when it just doesn't sell there,even if there was more stock.how much more could it have sold there?

sony have to ship 2.8m more which they will do easily as last year they had a major supply issue that went on from christmas to may when they got the new RSX chip.

so if sony will ship 2.8 then you mean to say MS will ship 3.8m 360's.not gonna happen.it might equal but not 1m ahead.it is still going in US but after christmas it has dropped considerably in EMEAA

Around the Network
thx1139 said:
pachoo5 said:

i highly doubt that. actually, its not even a possibility.

According to some magical site I just looked at, it's 4 million! I think it was called "VGChortz" or something.

19:44:34 Skeezer METAL GEAR ONLINE
19:44:36 Skeezer FAILURE
19:44:51 ABadClown You're right!
19:44:55 ABadClown Hur hur hur
19:45:01 Skeezer i meant
19:45:04 Skeezer YOU ARE A FAILKURE
19:45:08 Skeezer FAILURE*

I gave up posting in these threads a long time ago. Its always the same thing. And noone ever listens untill VGC update their sales data.

So it is reasnalbe to thinnk that there were

PS3 VGC  46,443,529  PS3 SONY 47.92m

360 VGC  50,388,641  360M$ 50.8m

1,476,471 PS3's at the end of the year

411,359 360's at the end of the year

Ok so the sales between these consoles have not been that much diff so why did Sony manage to force the retailers to have 1.45 million ps3's that they dont need. Like every other year untill the numbers get adjusted.

So the is like 1 million more PS3's around on shelves then 360's. and dont mention Japan because the PS3 oonly sells like 2 million PS3's in Japan a year. They aint gonna have half the shipment they are gonna sell in Japan by January.

Nobody's perfect. I aint nobody!!!

Killzone 2. its not a fps. it a FIRST PERSON WAR SIMULATOR!!!! ..The true PLAYSTATION 3 launch date and market dominations is SEP 1st

A Bad Clown said:

According to some magical site I just looked at, it's 4 million! I think it was called "VGChortz" or something.

and magically you didn't read the thread.

these are shipped numbers

snakenobi said:
thx1139 said:
psrock said:
thx1139 said:
pachoo5 said:

you want to bet? 

360 was  not in short supply,they met demands.the shortage started in january start fro a small period.

and why even debate 360 stock in japan when it just doesn't sell there,even if there was more stock.how much more could it have sold there?

sony have to ship 2.8m more which they will do easily as last year they had a major supply issue that went on from christmas to may when they got the new RSX chip.

so if sony will ship 2.8 then you mean to say MS will ship 3.8m 360's.not gonna happen.it might equal but not 1m ahead.it is still going in US but after christmas it has dropped considerably in EMEAA

The point I made about Japan was that people have been going on no way only 300K 360s on shelves while the PS3 has 1.6M at the end of December.. My point was that the number is realistic because there is always next to nothing on shelves in Japan.  While Sony had to make sure at least a couple of hundred thousand had to be at retailers in Japan because of the high holiday sales that happen in early January.

I dont care about Sony shipment target they have missed it before and if they are selling less this year than last when they only shipped 2.2M what is going to cause them to ship 2.8M.  Only thing possible is that they convince retailers to take more units with perhaps some special deals.  Yes we heard about the shortages last year, but funny thing when shortages were over sales never increased so shipping the 2.2M didnt really hurt.

Finally MS specifically stated they sold out in December and had to airship units that were meant to be sold in January.  Normally those units would have been put on boats and whould have taken weeks to arrive.  This was tracked in threads during December. This is the reason MS said that shortages could occur late January and into February. Since airship is much more expensive MS would airship as minimal as possible and get the units back on boats Jan 1. The difference between MS and Sony is that MS gave a specific time frame when the shortages could occur.  Sony went on about shortages for months.

Its libraries that sell systems not a single game.