By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Sony's Financial Results for Oct-Dec 2010

MonstaMack said:
DarkintheLight said:

Last time I checked vgs numbers 360 sold through more then it shipped that seems to be needed adjustment 

360 was already adjusted down sometime last week or the week before. Can't recall which. It's also having stock issues according to MS themselves, so It's not getting adjusted.

Eh either way I trust shipped numbers over sold any day, I usually just ignore the sold numbers and compare to two shipped 

Around the Network
bannedagain said:
DarkintheLight said:
Kynes said:
ElGranCabeza said:
Kynes said:
ElGranCabeza said:
Kynes said:
ElGranCabeza said:

Incorrect, VGC has the 360 ahead of the PS3 by 4.2 million units, shipment data does not match that.

As has been explained several times, where are those consoles? VGC matches the other tracking firms, and they can't put the consoles in the void. They are probably in very hard to track countries.

You really want me to tell you where those consoles are? Either way that's a very poor explanation. VGC uses a formula to calculate sales, obviously they're not accounting for all regions. Manufacturers must report total shipment numbers and cannot lie on those numbers. Bottom line, VGC numbers are off.

So VGC should create a "We don't know where" or "Atlantis" to place those consoles? It's more important to you the epeen than the fidelity of the numbers?

Accuracy should be important and imperative, but apparently you prefer inaccurate numbers due to some kind of agenda.

No, what I'm saying is that VGC is accurate with all the tracking firms out there. Trying to appease fans is not the way VGC should operate, they should try to reach the most accurate numbers with the data they have. I think that the numbers should be accurate region by region, and you think the numbers should mimic the shipment numbers, to please Sony fans. That's all.

Shipment numbers are accurate, meaning if VG chartz was accurate they would be consistent with Sony's (and MSes and Nintendo's) shipment numbers, trying to be accurate in every single region is just stupid if you don't have accurate sources in the region, more accurate to make an overall estimate 

There are a lot more ps3's on the shelfs then xbox's. So that means there where more xbox's sold because they where out of stock everywhere. I had to drive to hours to get a xbox before christmas. all the while ps3's where all over the place.

SO THE NUMBERS ARE RIGHT.

PS3'S ON SHELF = NOT SOLD.

XBOX 360 OFF THE SHELFS AND NO WHERE TO BE FOUND = SOLD

GET IT.

You obviously don't understand the meaning of the word consistent 

MonstaMack said:
DarkintheLight said:

Last time I checked vgs numbers 360 sold through more then it shipped that seems to be needed adjustment 

360 was already adjusted down sometime last week or the week before. Can't recall which. It's also having stock issues according to MS themselves, so It's not getting adjusted.

So even with those shortages, the 360 has sold all of the Oct-Dec shipment, plus ~ 1 mil more in the matter of a month.  Even though VGC shows that PS3 will outsell the 360 for Jan WW and they are only expected to ship 2 mil more for the entire Jan-March quarter?  Seems off to me.

GREAT PS3 SHIPMENTS!!!

They will make the 15 Million Target, something 99% of the people said (that 1% saying they would do it being me and my dog) wouldn't happen.

PS3 IS BEST, PS3 IS A BEAST

SONY FTW!

All hail the KING, Andrespetmonkey

@bannedagain - 360 only had shortages in parts of the US and Canada and possible a few area's in the UK. Somehow i don't think its normal for Micirosoft to keep 800k consoles on store shelves in US/Canada/UK and a mere 300k to cover Australia/New Zealand/Singapore/Japan/France/Germany/Spain/Belgium/Italy/Greece/etc...

Around the Network
TheSource said:

Article is up. http://gamrfeed.vgchartz.com/gfadmin/update-post.php?story=83896&updated=1

I disagree that PS3 can easily hit 2.8m in Q1 2011 by the way. Japan is down a fair bit in the quarter so far (14% drop from Jan 2010 to Jan 2011), I'm expecting the Americas to be down too. Sony only shipped 2.2m in Q1 2010 and that was with the price cut closer to the time frame and in my opinion bigger games - God of War III (March), FFXIII (March). 

Also, Dec 2010 quarter (6.3m) was down from Dec 2009 quarter (6.5m) for PS3 on weaker Japan / USA sales - I see no reason to expect that not to continue in Q1 2011. PS3 shipments should easily beat FY 3/2010 anyway - 14.2m to 13m - but 15m is a bit ambitious given the most recent trends. On the other hand, PS2 should be around 6.5m, not the 6m Sony projects. The main thing with PS3 is its been down since it lapped the PS3 Slim / PS3 at $300 price point in the USA and Japan and that won't change without a price cut.

Q1 2011 will probably be 2.3m Wii / 2m PS3 / 2m X360 for shipments.

You're probably referring to my comment on the first page.

Yeah, I misread Sony's figures from last year lol.  For some reason I thought they sold 2.2 million from January to March and 3.5 million from April to June.  Rookie mistake, I know, but because of it I figured they could probably hit around 3 million that same period this year, given the supply constraints last year.

Then I looked at the numbers again and realised that the ps3 has never broken 2.2 million units in that quarter going back to launch.

DarkintheLight said:
bannedagain said:
DarkintheLight said:
Kynes said:
ElGranCabeza said:
Kynes said:
ElGranCabeza said:
Kynes said:
ElGranCabeza said:

Incorrect, VGC has the 360 ahead of the PS3 by 4.2 million units, shipment data does not match that.

As has been explained several times, where are those consoles? VGC matches the other tracking firms, and they can't put the consoles in the void. They are probably in very hard to track countries.

You really want me to tell you where those consoles are? Either way that's a very poor explanation. VGC uses a formula to calculate sales, obviously they're not accounting for all regions. Manufacturers must report total shipment numbers and cannot lie on those numbers. Bottom line, VGC numbers are off.

So VGC should create a "We don't know where" or "Atlantis" to place those consoles? It's more important to you the epeen than the fidelity of the numbers?

Accuracy should be important and imperative, but apparently you prefer inaccurate numbers due to some kind of agenda.

No, what I'm saying is that VGC is accurate with all the tracking firms out there. Trying to appease fans is not the way VGC should operate, they should try to reach the most accurate numbers with the data they have. I think that the numbers should be accurate region by region, and you think the numbers should mimic the shipment numbers, to please Sony fans. That's all.

Shipment numbers are accurate, meaning if VG chartz was accurate they would be consistent with Sony's (and MSes and Nintendo's) shipment numbers, trying to be accurate in every single region is just stupid if you don't have accurate sources in the region, more accurate to make an overall estimate 

There are a lot more ps3's on the shelfs then xbox's. So that means there where more xbox's sold because they where out of stock everywhere. I had to drive to hours to get a xbox before christmas. all the while ps3's where all over the place.

GET IT.

Yes you are right. they are not very consistant and I did miss that I Guess. Was making a point  to people that the sales are  not off as of now. They are now most likely right on, after a bunch of adjustments. 

thismeintiel said:
fallen said:

Toyota lied about life and death matters relating to it's accelrator issues, and it was proved. You're telling me Sony cant lie about ship numbers that nobody besides a few message board junkies even care about?

Who would even investigate that? "Oh hi FTC, I want you to investigate Sony, a Japanese company with internal documents written in a foriegn language you cant understand, about their unimportant console ship numbers!!!"

FTC: " Are you crazy?"

Again look at Toyota, they were very good at stonewalling US investigators about life or death accelerator documents. Forget ever getting to the bottom of meaningless Sony console ship numbers, even if somebody asked, which nobody EVER will.

Sony ship numbers always have seemed suspisciously high, for PSP and PS2 also. This quarter wasnt too bad on PS3, but still high compared to all recorded sales (which we know with certainty from NPD, Media Create, and Nintendo's Europe sales charts from gfk) and we also know from companies like EA fiscal reports that regions outside the USA and Europe account for very little software sales (for EA they were 5% others, North America 50%, Europe 45%)

Oh great, the Sony lies and stuffs the channel excuses have already started.  Why do we have to put up with this every quarter for Sony, but everyone believes Nintendo and MS's numbers?  You know since Sony just makes up numbers and is in competition for secodn with MS, why haven't they just stated shipped was past MS's just so they could already be ahead?  I'll tell you, they aren't lying.

Of course!!

It's because Nintendo and MS are both very good and wholesome pure and angellic companies with a good heart who would never do anthing wrong, and are always honest 100% of the time, and would never, never, never, ever  lie to anyone about anything

as opposed to the big evil Sony who kills cats and goldfish, and always lies about their shipment numbers.

Makaha said:

Of course!!

It's because Nintendo and MS are both very good and wholesome pure and angellic companies with a good heart who would never do anthing wrong, and are always honest 100% of the time, and would never, never, never, ever  lie to anyone about anything

as opposed to the big evil Sony who kills cats and goldfish, and always lies about their shipment numbers.

OH GOOD LORD!!  NOT THE GOLDFISH!!  PLEASE NOT THE GOLDFISH!! 

bannedagain said:
DarkintheLight said:
bannedagain said:
DarkintheLight said:

GET IT.

Yes you are right. they are not very consistant and I did miss that I Guess. Was making a point  to people that the sales are  not off as of now. They are now most likely right on, after a bunch of adjustments. 

They aren't accurate though 360s are way too high and ps3s are about right, it's hard to tell if they do have 2 million on shelves it's too high but I doubt they have that much on the shelves