By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - The Wii is dead in Japan... visually

retroking1981 said:
Wyrdness said:
retroking1981 said:

Final Fantasy VII was once on the list of expected N64 titles and even showed CGI footage using silicon graphics who were Nintendos partners at the time. We haven't seen nothing on DQX yet.

Except Square like every other dev didn't like the costs of N64 cartridges which bumped develpment costs up to a fortune which forced the jump. With DQ a requirement is that the platform has to be the top selling in Japan and to top it off Yuji Horii has full control over the IP and what he says goes and last November reconfirmed the game is still Wii bound after 3 years in development, at this point the PS3 can only hope for a multiplatform release other wise it'll have to sell 6m (it's total sales in the region since it's original release) in Japan with the Wii selling 0 units in 18. After DQIX's performance on the DS Horii isn't going to abandon the Wii overnight.

I just find it strange that after 3 years in development we havent seen nothing of the game.

IX's performance on DS is encouraging but 3rd party sales on Wii aren't. If it fails at retail then I should think a PS3/PSP2 port would be very likely.

How well do you all think DQX will sell on Wii? DQ is huge in Japan so on paper it should hit 2m easy right?

Also will DQX raise interest in the Wii in Japan and improve software sales overall? E.g Will TLS weekly sales rise significantly in the weeks following DQXs release?

TLS was in development for 4 years and we knew nothing about the game until some weeks before release.

Above: still the best game of the year.

Around the Network
retroking1981 said:

Final Fantasy VII was once on the list of expected N64 titles and even showed CGI footage using silicon graphics who were Nintendos partners at the time. We haven't seen nothing on DQX yet.

FFVII was never in development for N64 and was never announced for N64, it was just assumed it would be.  That's... pretty different from DQX.

Dragon Quest sells to a huge, diverse, mainstream audience... PS3 would be about the worst platform to release it on.  360 would be the only system even worse that that.  If DQX jumps ship, the only even remotely likely system is 3DS.

retroking1981 said:

I just find it strange that after 3 years in development we havent seen nothing of the game.

IX's performance on DS is encouraging but 3rd party sales on Wii aren't. If it fails at retail then I should think a PS3/PSP2 port would be very likely.

How well do you all think DQX will sell on Wii? DQ is huge in Japan so on paper it should hit 2m easy right?

Also will DQX raise interest in the Wii in Japan and improve software sales overall? E.g Will TLS weekly sales rise significantly in the weeks following DQXs release?

DQIX didn't surface until 2007 which is 3 years after VIII  and was only released last year so whats your point? DQ is going to sell 3m regardless of third parties on the Wii which is what makes the assumption that it'll jump ship because of the mediocre performances of third parties silly to begin with, in order to improve software sales the software itself has to be of decent quality which most of the third parties don't fall into and on top of that Japan in general this gen hasn't been buying tons of software save a select few titles, DQ will simply sell because it will be a good game that's recognized much like Inazuma will do well as well.

retroking1981 said:

You kidding!? A DQ spinoff topped half a million on Wii in Japan and you think the real thing won't top 2m?

Mario will likely top 5m - more than any game on PS2 - in Japan and you don't think DQ will top 2m?

Anything that plans to sell more than 500k is gonna sell well on Wii, really. And DQX should, at the very least, boost Wii weekly HW sales enormously, though I'm not entirely sure if the same can be said for SW.

“These are my principles; if you don’t like them, I have others.” – Groucho Marx

jarrod said:
DonFerrari said:
jarrod said:
DonFerrari said:
jarrod said:
Galaki said:

Why are you guys saying Nintendo focusing on 3DS when it's the 3rd parties that ignored the Wii?

That's really true.  Nintendo arguably still has the strongest 1st party lineup for 2011 and on in Japan currently, both critically and commercially... actual JP developed games bolded...

Wii

• Fatal Frame II remake (Tecmo Koei)
  • Goldeneye 007 (Eurocom)
  • Just Dance 2 (Ubisoft Paris)
  • Kirby (HAL Laboratory)
  • Pikmin 3 (Nintendo EAD)
  • Pokemon title (Genius Sonority?)
  • Rhythm Heaven Wii (Nintendo SPD)
  • Start with 100 Words! English Conversation (???)
  • The Last Story (Mistwalker / AQ Interactive)
  • The Legend of Zelda: Skyward Sword (Nintendo EAD)
  • Tower of Pandora (???)

PlayStation 3

• Bleach: Soul Ignition (Racjin)
  • inFamous 2 (Sucker Punch Studios)
  • Killzone 3 (Guerilla Games)
  • LittleBigPlanet 2 (Media Molecule)
  • MotorStorm Apocalypse (Evolution Studio)
  • PlayStation Move Heroes (Nihilistic Software)
  • Ratchet & Clank: All-4-One (Insomniac Games)
  • Sly Cooper 4 (Sucker Punch Studios)
  • S.O.C.O.M. 4: US Navy SEALs (Zipper Interactive)
  • Sorcery (The Workshop)
  • The Last Guardian (Japan Studio)
  • Tokyo Jungle (Crispy's)
  • Tumble (SuperMassive Games)
  • Twisted Metal (Eat Sleep Play)
  • Uncharted 3: Drake's Deception (Naughty Dog Software)

Xbox 360

• codename D (Grasshopper Manufacture)
  • Codename Kingdoms (Crytek)
  • Dance Central (Harmonix Music Systems)
  • Fighters Uncaged (AMA Studios)
  • Forza Motorsport 4 (Turn 10 Studio)
  • Gears of War 3 (Epic Games)
  • Halo: Combat Evolved remake (343 Industries)
  • Haunt (NanaOnSha)
  • Kinect Star Wars (LucasArts)
  • Project Draco (Grounding / Land Ho)

When did Fatal Frame became 1st party?? It launched in PS2

And 1st party published??? Never heard of it, a game is 1st party when they are developed in house, 2nd party when a 3rd party company develop a IP that belongs to one of the 3 companies and sell exclusively on that system, or a 3rd party when they are independent..

In your reasoning a 3rd party exclusive game should be counted as 1st party?? this how some people counts Gears of War and Halo as first party up until now?? Fancy that.

I'm talking publisher lineups.  If people have so much issue with me including the new Fatal Frame Nintendo's paying for and releasing, then why wasn't Tres similarly crucified for leaving it off his 3rd party list?

I guess we should just discount Fatal Frame entirely?  It doesn't exist?

I didn't said anything because i didn't even know that it would release... but you don't correct a mistake making another 2.

You should just ask to add then in the list, as there as games for 3 of the companies that aren't in the list.

It's a Nintendo release, that's why Tres left it off the 3rd party list and I included it in the 1st party one.  This isn't hard to understand people.

i understand, but these don't make it accurate.

duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=8808363

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=9008994

Azzanation: "PS5 wouldn't sold out at launch without scalpers."

Around the Network
Wyrdness said:
DonFerrari said:

And 1st party published??? Never heard of it, a game is 1st party when they are developed in house, 2nd party when a 3rd party company develop a IP that belongs to one of the 3 companies and sell exclusively on that system, or a 3rd party when they are independent..

In your reasoning a 3rd party exclusive game should be counted as 1st party?? this how some people counts Gears of War and Halo as first party up until now?? Fancy that.

You are aware Nintendo bought the rights to the Fatal Frame series a while back making it first party, it's why the series is only sticking to Nintendo platforms in recent years.

If you have rights for a IP but don't develope it yourself it's 2nd party not first.

duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=8808363

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=9008994

Azzanation: "PS5 wouldn't sold out at launch without scalpers."

DonFerrari said:
Wyrdness said:
DonFerrari said:

You are aware Nintendo bought the rights to the Fatal Frame series a while back making it first party, it's why the series is only sticking to Nintendo platforms in recent years.

If you have rights for a IP but don't develope it yourself it's 2nd party not first.

Wrong it's first party no matter what as you yourself own the IP people don't class Kirby Epic Yarn, Metroid OM, the Mario Party games, F Zero and Various Donkey Kong games which have had outside developers so the same applies heres second party is when you have an exclusive contract with an independent dev for their games but don't own their IPs much like Imsomniac and Sony.