By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - So, Wii 2 announced this year?

Its almost a year since 3DS was briefly announced. Its was revelead at E3 2010 and launched early 2011.

Could Wii 2 be on the verge of being announced? Revelead at E3 2011? Launch Early 2012 Japan, Later 2012 Americas and EMEEA.

When is the next Nintendo Meet for Investors?

Around the Network
Soriku said:

Uh...no. Devs still want to make games for this gen of consoles, it would be dumb to release it by early 2012. That, and Iwata already said there's going to be a bunch of Wii announcements still. They can also have more price cuts bundles.

The Wii's still selling well, they don't need a new Wii for a while anyway...

DS is still selling well, they didn't need a new 3DS for while, anyway it is on the verge to retail.

The earliest that a Wii2 will launch will be late 2012.

Plus, the title is misleading.

Soriku said:

Sure, but it looks like devs are ready to make games for new handhelds (how many notable handheld games have there been that aren't like, FF, DQ or MH? Nothing from Western devs that's for sure.)...devs are still making a bunch of current gen games for the current consoles. It's not time for a new console yet. Or else you want Nintendo to risk not having enough SW, or just current gen ports?

Well thats true, but yeah, wouldn't you expect past gen ports on a console that will open a new gen?

Saturn had Genesis ports, Dreamcast had PSone ports, X360 got PS2 ports, 3DS is getting PSP ports.

That wouldn't imply that Nintendo has to hold the console for later. They can simply release it with their own software and a few paid 3rd party support. Ubisoft is pouring too much ports into 3DS don't you think? Same thing here with Wii 2. Only in 2012 it would gain 3rd Party popularity.

I've always said that the 'Super' Wii would be announced at E3 2011 and would be released somewhen during 2012.  If the 3DS launch works well, it could be a similar time of year.

Around the Network

I think not.

If they announced a new console this year it might take away from the attention the 3DS is getting.

Need something off Play-Asia? http://www.play-asia.com/

Yeah. Releasing 3DS along with Wii2 will be too overwhelming. They have to find some place to store all the monies they are going to print, first.

I've always been predicting the Wii2 a year after the 3DS. It may slip to 1.5 years after (ie Christmas next year), but either way the announcement is likely late this year or very early next

nintendo more often than not changes something for consoles and provides a different gimmick based on seeing n64 > gamecube > wii

only nes > snes seemed closest to wii > wii2 if ever so in my point of view calling it wii2 seems inappropriate.

on the handheld console side of the market however they seem to stick with upgrades rather than a full makeover.

What I want from a game.

Gameplay > Story > Content > Graphics

Visual Style > Graphics

Smooth Camera, Intuitive Controls

Friction! When everything feels right!

Kyren said:

nintendo more often than not changes something for consoles and provides a different gimmick based on seeing n64 > gamecube > wii

only nes > snes seemed closest to wii > wii2 if ever so in my point of view calling it wii2 seems inappropriate.

on the handheld console side of the market however they seem to stick with upgrades rather than a full makeover.

DS is a full makeover from GBA, mind you. Even 3DS can't be called a simple upgrade, its introducing 3D without glasses to gaming.