By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - What matters next gen (Power or innovation?)

What matters next gen (Power or innovation?)

Raw Power 36 31.86%

Innovation 76 67.26%

Total:112
Mordred11 said:
EL_PATRAS said:

I hope innovation wins because I'm tired of seeing FPS clones dominate the market.  It has to end at some point.

Are people really getting hyped up for this?

You chose Killzone to troll,really?There are much,much better examples of games that are lacking innovation,like COD,Mario,NFS...

who's trolling now?

Antway, It's just my opinion, I find KZ to be a generic grey shooter just like most of FPS that have dominated the market this gen.  I'm looking forward to see how the market shifts in the future and which genre will take FPS's place at the top.

Around the Network
RolStoppable said:
Joelcool7 said:
RolStoppable said:

I am going to disregard the original post for the most part, because it contains several errors.

But anyway, when has power ever ruled supreme? Never. The SNES is the only instance when the more powerful system won its generation, but the SNES's victory wasn't based on it being more powerful than the Genesis.

Innovation always is more important, the only time it isn't really needed is when all competitors don't really innovate. In that case time of release becomes the most important factor.

But Rol Sega always innovated (CD, VMU , Activator...etc...etc...) yet they always lost. Nintendo also innovated that could be the reason but as you said SNES was more powerful the Genesis and won despite Genesis bringing in CD's , motion controls and such. DreamCast and GameCube also innovated far more then PS2 did. The VMU and the WaveBird. Don't forget the N64 (3D and rumble).

Now I don't think power will be the deciding factor I voted Innovation. But in the past their are cases of power trumping innovation and innovation trumping power.

Releasing some odd stuff doesn't mean much. Real innovation has an actual impact on future products.

Once again, power has never trumped innovation. The SNES didn't win because it was more powerful, it won simply because it had Japanese third party support locked.

Yah if you disregard that has a most powerful console ever won a console war fair and square? I mean GameBoy kicked all the more powerful handhelds asses, DS kicked PSP ass) PSOne and 2 kicked N64 and X-Box's ass) I can't remember if the 2600 was the most powerful of its generation does anyone remember who was most powerful then?

The one time a graphically superior console won was Super Nintendo. But could that change with this upcoming generation? I don't think so but you never know. I also wonder if PS4 will be 20x the power of PS3 or something rediculous like that or if Sony will innovate and make it only 3x. Same can be said for Microsoft and Nintendo, will they go innovation or power?

-JC7

"In God We Trust - In Games We Play " - Joel Reimer

RolStoppable said:
Joelcool7 said:
RolStoppable said:

I am going to disregard the original post for the most part, because it contains several errors.

But anyway, when has power ever ruled supreme? Never. The SNES is the only instance when the more powerful system won its generation, but the SNES's victory wasn't based on it being more powerful than the Genesis.

Innovation always is more important, the only time it isn't really needed is when all competitors don't really innovate. In that case time of release becomes the most important factor.

But Rol Sega always innovated (CD, VMU , Activator...etc...etc...) yet they always lost. Nintendo also innovated that could be the reason but as you said SNES was more powerful the Genesis and won despite Genesis bringing in CD's , motion controls and such. DreamCast and GameCube also innovated far more then PS2 did. The VMU and the WaveBird. Don't forget the N64 (3D and rumble).

Now I don't think power will be the deciding factor I voted Innovation. But in the past their are cases of power trumping innovation and innovation trumping power.

Releasing some odd stuff doesn't mean much. Real innovation has an actual impact on future products.

Once again, power has never trumped innovation. The SNES didn't win because it was more powerful, it won simply because it had Japanese third party support locked.

Yet Sega pioneer many things that are consider staple in modern gaming such as online play. Sega merel failed to market them and lost too much money on their 'failed' endeavour to leverage their better ideas.

Innovation is great, but only if the innovation becomes the next 'it'.

Joelcool7 said:
RolStoppable said:
Joelcool7 said:
RolStoppable said:

Yah if you disregard that has a most powerful console ever won a console war fair and square? I mean GameBoy kicked all the more powerful handhelds asses, DS kicked PSP ass) PSOne and 2 kicked N64 and X-Box's ass) I can't remember if the 2600 was the most powerful of its generation does anyone remember who was most powerful then?

The one time a graphically superior console won was Super Nintendo. But could that change with this upcoming generation? I don't think so but you never know. I also wonder if PS4 will be 20x the power of PS3 or something rediculous like that or if Sony will innovate and make it only 3x. Same can be said for Microsoft and Nintendo, will they go innovation or power?

Intellivision. Atari won because of superior pricing, marketing, and arcade support, It was like this every generation until this one, innovation never played a part that is as big as it is now.

Power.

Innovation can be easily copyed after others come up with it.

Around the Network

A good balance of both is ideal, but if I were to choose one I would take innovation ...

I think putting it in terms of movies makes it easier to understand. If you produce movies with the same basic plot line, with very similar characters, and the same art style all year (every year) how long is it before people stop going to see movies? Even if the quality of the visuals gets better and better, people will get bored of seeing the same thing over and over again and (except for a handful of the absolute best movies) most of these movies will be ignored by the audience.

We see this pattern in both videogames and movies today; and, if these games continue to get released ever 2 years, by the time Activision releases Modern Warfare 10 (no matter how good the game looks) people will have gotten so tired of the game that its sales will suffer in comparison to what the series current level of sales are.

Certainly, there are game series that have been around for decades and are still as strong as they ever were; but if you actually look at these titles you will see that most of them are based around gameplay mechanics that change from game to game, they tend to be released far less often than every other year, and there are few games that are successful that are similar to them.

A better internet browser on PS4.

Ok, seriously now. I want less load times, the rest doesnt matter,

www.jamesvandermemes.com

Mr.Metralha said:

Power.

Innovation can be easily copyed after others come up with it.

I loled.

www.jamesvandermemes.com

Overall I'd say innovation as it's what will keep the market going in the long run and keep bringing in consumers.

EL_PATRAS said:

I hope innovation wins because I'm tired of seeing FPS clones dominate the market.  It has to end at some point.

Are people really getting hyped up for this?

I don't want name any game, but a tired of gray/brown games.