By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Sega: NGP will succeed, PSP didn't fail

Reasonable said:

PSP did fine.  People are obsessed with black/white fail/win comparisons.  As a first entry in the handheld gaming market, for exmaple, the PSP did better than the Xbox (another first entry device) did relative to the main competition - should MS have given up and declared it was a failure and left the market to Sony?

Of course not.  Similarly, the PSP did more than well enough that no sensible company would pack up their bags and just leave the market to Nintendo.  And if there is one thing Sony now knows all to well, it's sometimes easier to take marketshare steadily from someone else vs hang on to huge chunks of marketshare

PSP did well as an initial entry, with over 30% of the total marketshare defined by DS/PSP, and NGP I think is well positioned to do better.  The handheld market is large and while under threat from smart phones and the like I could still see it rising in size to easily allow both the 3DS and the NGP to succeed in their own right.

A lot more people need to realise business doesn't consist of a winner and everyone else just bails out and leaves them to it.  Every new release or change of strategy can change the market.  Sony demolished Nintendo in volume sales yet Nintendo came back with the same result a gen later.  Xbox sold relatively weakly yet MS came back and improved hugely with the 360.  Similarly Sony will look for improvement with their new device even if Nintendo ultimately sell more.

That's the nature of a competitive market.

I like you.

Around the Network

i love sega!

Being in 3rd place never felt so good

If they keep current level of PSP support to NGS that would be awesome news.

PROUD MEMBER OF THE PSP RPG FAN CLUB

The whole existence of the NGP proves that the PSP was a success. The PSP sold nearly 66 million units. Hell, it outsold the NES, SNES, N64, and currently it's 15 million units ahead of the X360.

updated: 14.01.2012

playing right now: Xenoblade Chronicles

Hype-o-meter, from least to most hyped:  the Last Story, Twisted Metal, Mass Effect 3, Final Fantasy XIII-2, Final Fantasy Versus XIII, Playstation ViTA

bet with Mordred11 that Rage will look better on Xbox 360.

I agree I don't see the PSP as a failure and I don't think NGP will be either.  I do think the 3DS will out sell the NGP along the same margins as the DS and PSP but as long as sony can curb piracy the product should still have plenty of market share to make a nice profit for the company.

Around the Network
Mr Puggsly said:

Well no one knows fail better than Sega. So I'm glad they chimed in.

Seriously though, PSP did a great job appealing to a core market thanks mostly to its vastly superior hardware. DS didn't seem to have much of a core audience other than JRPG fans.

3DS seems to delivering where the original DS failed, core games. If the 3DS really takes off I think the NGP is pretty much doomed.

Thanks to its dual analog and PS3 connectivity, NGP will surely do a better job to appeal to the core market then the PSP did. Its all good for Nintendo if they can grab a larger core userbase, but NGP will surely do it too. None of those handhelds is pretty much doom whatever the other do (realistically speaking). Both will make the handhelds core userbase larger.

VC4? I think so!

ǝןdɯıs ʇı dǝǝʞ oʇ ǝʞıן ı ʍouʞ noʎ 

Ask me about being an elitist jerk

Time for hype

Reasonable said:

PSP did fine.  People are obsessed with black/white fail/win comparisons.  As a first entry in the handheld gaming market, for exmaple, the PSP did better than the Xbox (another first entry device) did relative to the main competition - should MS have given up and declared it was a failure and left the market to Sony?

Of course not.  Similarly, the PSP did more than well enough that no sensible company would pack up their bags and just leave the market to Nintendo.  And if there is one thing Sony now knows all to well, it's sometimes easier to take marketshare steadily from someone else vs hang on to huge chunks of marketshare

PSP did well as an initial entry, with over 30% of the total marketshare defined by DS/PSP, and NGP I think is well positioned to do better.  The handheld market is large and while under threat from smart phones and the like I could still see it rising in size to easily allow both the 3DS and the NGP to succeed in their own right.

A lot more people need to realise business doesn't consist of a winner and everyone else just bails out and leaves them to it.  Every new release or change of strategy can change the market.  Sony demolished Nintendo in volume sales yet Nintendo came back with the same result a gen later.  Xbox sold relatively weakly yet MS came back and improved hugely with the 360.  Similarly Sony will look for improvement with their new device even if Nintendo ultimately sell more.

That's the nature of a competitive market.

beautiful...*sniff*

Mr Puggsly said:

Well no one knows fail better than Sega. So I'm glad they chimed in.

Seriously though, PSP did a great job appealing to a core market thanks mostly to its vastly superior hardware. DS didn't seem to have much of a core audience other than JRPG fans.

3DS seems to delivering where the original DS failed, core games. If the 3DS really takes off I think the NGP is pretty much doomed.

well that's not the point, i mean the wii has core games, the point is doing core games better than the NGP, which we all know will never ever happen, the NGP is still DoOmed (as far as sales against the 3DS go) becasue it like the PSP won't appeal to the casual expanded audience, as much as the 3DS will.

What does he mean by fail?  For Sony or for 3rd party game publishers?

For Sony, no way was it a failure.  65 million with your initial dip in a market?  No way.

For 3rd party game publishers?  Not sure.  I don't remember a lot of games blowing up any charts outside of Japan considering how large its userbase was.  I'd have to dig more (or better yet yield to those that have already done the research), but that's the only area where I could see some calling the PSP a failure.