By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Sega: NGP will succeed, PSP didn't fail

Zlejedi said:

Sony already said that they are aiming for 2011 launch in one territory.

So that probably means Holidays 2011 in Japan , rest of world 2012.

If that is what happens, it would (probably) translate into (roughly) 1 year head start for the 3DS because few electronics products are released in January or February due to fallout from the holiday season. Basically, if someone still has massive credit card bills and a brand new XBox 360 (or whatever) they are probably not going to rush out to buy a new toy.

Around the Network
Zlejedi said:
Reasonable said:
disolitude said:
ssj12 said:

He is right, the PSP isn't a failure. It successfully took over 30% of the handheld market from Nintendo which no other handheld in the history of handheld gaming consoles managed to accomplish.

This comment would make sense if Nintendo lost marketshare...but DS is their most successful handheld ever.  So PSP didn't take anything over from nintendo...The market expanded and PSP capitalised on that.

Technically they did lose marketshare.  I agree with you in principle the key element was an expanding market, and that volume wise DS did even better, but from a business perspective as Nintendo went from essentially 100% marketshare to less marketshare of a total bigger pot they did lose some.

Basically, PSP you would say by being in the market prevented Nintendo taking the whole expanded market available - hence the drop in marketshare.

Marketshare is the total set of potential customers and remains 100% even as the market expands, so it is possible to do better in volume sales and profits and lose marketshare at the same time - which is what Nintendo did.

You could argue that PSP expanded market in a way as it could have brought gamers who were traditionally not interested in Nintendo offerings in this area.

That is undoubtably part of it.  But nonetheless marketshare as a percentage is always a portion of the total market expanded or not.  On the front page the Wii/PS3/360 marketshare is shown relative to the total - the fact the Wii is argued to have sold to an expanded market doesn't change that.

It's just one of those things that in an expanding market a company can grow their volume sales and profits yet still loose marketshare to a competitor based on the latest market size.

I doubt Nintendo are that worried that PSP took over 30% of the marketshare between DS/PSP given the DS sold so well both SW and HW.  60% of a much bigger market is better than 100% of a smaller one in this case.

Try to be reasonable... its easier than you think...

So valkyria Chronicles 4 is gonna be on NGP then? looks like I may have to get one after all

"Dr. Tenma, according to you, lives are equal. That's why I live today. But you must have realised it by now...the only thing people are equal in is death"---Johann Liebert (MONSTER)

"WAR is a racket. It always has been.

It is possibly the oldest, easily the most profitable, surely the most vicious. It is the only one international in scope. It is the only one in which the profits are reckoned in dollars and the losses in lives"---Maj. Gen. Smedley Butler

Squilliam said:
ssj12 said:
Squilliam said:

I just want to correct, third best selling handheld. Sheesh people like to act as if there isn't another company with a few fingers on the market.

"iOS gamers on their iPhones, iPod touches and iPads account for a hefty 40.1 million of the estimated 77 million Americans who do mobile gaming. Sony’s PSP accounts for a mere 18 million mobile gamers. Nintendo’s DS family of portable gaming devices account for 41 million gamers (some overlap exists naturally of course). With Apple’s iOS clocking in at less than 1 million less gamers than the Nintendo DS, it has nearly caught up. "

"In European markets, the Nintendo DS family holds a much more comfortable lead over iOS. However, the PSP is behind iOS in the UK, Germany, France, the Netherlands and Belgium."

http://blog.wirelessground.com/apples-ios-passes-sonys-psp/

It is possible that Sony will never catch up.

umm... cell phone games are mobile games, not handheld. Different market. Apple might say stuff like "we  are apart of the handheld market" but they aren't. They are the same market as my Droid, my old LG Dare, my dad's Razer, and whatever that free pos my mom has. Even though we haven't review any games, from my knowledge, all iPhone, Droid etc goes under mobile reviews, not handheld. Every video game website has cell phone games under mobile.

If iTouch, iPhone and iPad aren't handhelds then the PSP isn't either.

The Ipod is made to be centrally MP3 players, iPhone a phone, and iPad a tablet PC trying to revive a dead type of productivity PC. The PSP's cental focus has always been its gaming abilities.

PC gaming is better than console gaming. Always.     We are Anonymous, We are Legion    Kick-ass interview   Great Flash Series Here    Anime Ratings     Make and Play Please
Amazing discussion about being wrong
Official VGChartz Folding@Home Team #109453

all I can say is LOL....HAHAHAHAHA Sega must be joking right?

Around the Network
HappySqurriel said:
Degausser said:

20 million units is never going to happen - DS sold just over 10m in it's first full year... at a lower price then the 3DS. The 3DS has like, 6 -8 months headstart on the NGP with no Christmas headstart either. I'd guess it'll be about 7m ahead WW once NGP launched in Japan, but that's all speculative anyway :P.

I've just not seen much to say NGP dev costs is going to cost significiently more then the 3DS (Which developement costs are relatively high for a handheld). We've seen porting takes next to no time whatsoever, which suggests that the tech / engine / graphical assets for companies already invested heavily in PS3/360 development should be easily transferable. Any difference could easily be a moot point if NGP games cost a bit more at retail too anyway, and if they sell more via digital means with higher profit margins.

I'm not saying NGP won't cost more, just that there is absolutely nothing yet to suggest we should just assume costs will be double that of the 3DS, or on par with the PS3, or will take twice as long to develop. The only evidence we've seen thus far is ports taking 1-2 weeks and a few of the more tech-savy developers speaking good things about the device. 

HD graphics arn't the only thing which drive these development costs up either, albeit they're a contributing factor. There are PS1 and PS2 games which cost $20m to develop and HD games which were made on a 7 figure budget, so clearly theres plenty of other factors to consider, namely the nature of the game and it's 'scope'.

Realistically, the DS sold so poorly initially because it was a poorly supported platform that launched too soon after the Gameboy Advance, it was an odd concept that people (really) didn't understand, and the hardware itself was very large and not particularly portable. None of these factors really apply to the 3DS, and its primary downside is its price which, when you look at iPods and whatnot, is not particularly high compared to other products that have sold very quickly.

Beyond that, one of the reasons I also said that the worst case senario depended upon the announced release date is because (today) everyone is making assumptions about when the NGP will actually release. If you look at the ARM processor roadmap, it is unlikely that the NGP would be able to have a worldwide release in 2011 with a significant supply of systems; and when you add to that the possibility that enough software might be delayed that the NGP might not have adequate software to launch a system until early 2012, it is possible that the NGP might be released a full year after the 3DS.

Regardless, the entire point I was trying to make was that there are still some very massive unknowns about the NGP today; and, until we get some more solid details, it is very difficult to say whether the NGP will be a viable platform.

We seem to agree in general, I was more interested in debating NGP's development costs / opportunities, but alas I think that's a pretty grey area at the moment. I'm sure it'll get a decent initial investment either way, as Sony are generally good at that, whether it can sustain that or goes the way of the PSP is the biggest question for the console imo.

We disagree on 3DS sales too but it's not long till we get some figures for that. I simply don't believe any handheld priced at $250 can really gain that much sell-through or traction, but the price of gaming has always been on the up so maybe consumers are willing to pay more. I really really can't see it, as handhelds have always been the 'cheaper' option for gaming (Hence why I assume alot of parents buy their kids the things) so we'll see. 

It's worth remembering that Sony will most likely choose to release the thing early - even if supply is going to be low - simply because having a sold out, 'must have', product can drive market interest. Sony has already confirmed the thing for 2011 in Japan, but the PSP's launch was staggered to hell so maybe we'll be looking at a heavy delay in Europe too.

It's all speculative anyway so I guess we should wait until we actually know anything about the NGP, like you say :P. Really will be gutted personally if the thing sees like a 7-9 months delay to Europe though, but in all honesty I think those days are over.

ssj12 said:
Squilliam said:
ssj12 said:
Squilliam said:

I just want to correct, third best selling handheld. Sheesh people like to act as if there isn't another company with a few fingers on the market.

"iOS gamers on their iPhones, iPod touches and iPads account for a hefty 40.1 million of the estimated 77 million Americans who do mobile gaming. Sony’s PSP accounts for a mere 18 million mobile gamers. Nintendo’s DS family of portable gaming devices account for 41 million gamers (some overlap exists naturally of course). With Apple’s iOS clocking in at less than 1 million less gamers than the Nintendo DS, it has nearly caught up. "

"In European markets, the Nintendo DS family holds a much more comfortable lead over iOS. However, the PSP is behind iOS in the UK, Germany, France, the Netherlands and Belgium."

umm... cell phone games are mobile games, not handheld. Different market. Apple might say stuff like "we  are apart of the handheld market" but they aren't. They are the same market as my Droid, my old LG Dare, my dad's Razer, and whatever that free pos my mom has. Even though we haven't review any games, from my knowledge, all iPhone, Droid etc goes under mobile reviews, not handheld. Every video game website has cell phone games under mobile.

The Ipod is made to be centrally MP3 players, iPhone a phone, and iPad a tablet PC trying to revive a dead type of productivity PC. The PSP's cental focus has always been its gaming abilities.

Central alongside its media playback. Unless of course you forgot that they also sold movies for the PSP as well? You're just trying to make it seem as if Sony didn't have it's portable lunch eaten by Apple yet again. I mean this is understandable, why else isn't the PS3's sales figures generally compared directly to the Wii 1:1? Its all an epeen defense mechanism.

Tease.

I actually expect 3DS to sell 30M units by the end of 2011!!! C'mon this will sell like Sodas to the average teenager; with it's cool factor 3D sans glasses!

I agree with Sega on this one.

If a console and its software net a profit, it is a sucess. With that profit the company can continue to operate, expand, and innovate. Just because some chumps have overinflated expectations, does not change the fact that the product turned a net profit and is there for a sucess.

Squilliam said:
ssj12 said:
Squilliam said:
ssj12 said:
Squilliam said:

Central alongside its media playback. Unless of course you forgot that they also sold movies for the PSP as well? You're just trying to make it seem as if Sony didn't have it's portable lunch eaten by Apple yet again. I mean this is understandable, why else isn't the PS3's sales figures generally compared directly to the Wii 1:1? Its all an epeen defense mechanism.

im basing everything off what the entire game industry considers iOS games, which are mobile games.

PC gaming is better than console gaming. Always.     We are Anonymous, We are Legion    Kick-ass interview   Great Flash Series Here    Anime Ratings     Make and Play Please
Amazing discussion about being wrong
Official VGChartz Folding@Home Team #109453