By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Final Fantasy: Officialy burnt out?

Final Fantasy: Officialy burnt out?

Yes 130 47.62%

No 94 34.43%

GIVE DEM A CHANCE! 40 14.65%

Not an FPS so I don't care :-) 9 3.30%

Total:273

Before I explain, I'll just say this WAS an "against the grain" thread, but I accidentally closed the tab. So there won't be one this week, and next week will be about NGP. Look out for it! That's the reason why there's a lot of content missing.

So, there's no denying that the FF series has been on a bit of a downward spiral lately. Perhaps due to over-reliance on the franchise, focusing on graphics, the inability to move past FF7 or the fact it's too old. 

But, is it officially burnt out? Destructoid think so, and I agree with them.

http://www.destructoid.com/final-fantasy-officially-burnt-out-192700.phtml

I think that FF is now a dead series, for reasons raised in the above article. However, I think we should give Square-Enix another chance. With The Last Story in Japan this week, it proves it CAN still be done, but what about you? What do you reckon? Comment below...

Here lies the dearly departed Nintendomination Thread.

Around the Network

I agree with Jim. Squeenix mostly shine when they make original IPs anyway. Let the teams do something else... How about another Einhander or Dirge of Cerberus (without the Final Fantasy)?

Random game thought :
Why is Bionic Commando Rearmed 2 getting so much hate? We finally get a real game and they're not even satisfied... I'm starting to hate the gaming community so f****** much...

Watch my insane gameplay videos on my YouTube page!

SHMUPGurus said:

I agree with Jim. Squeenix mostly shine when they make original IPs anyway. Let the teams do something else... How about another Einhander or Dirge of Cerberus (without the Final Fantasy)?

Heck, I'd be quite happy if they just continued with Kingdom Hearts and Dragon Quest, though it seems as though all that potential for new IPs is going to waste...

Does it still sell? Yes.

Does it still entertain most people who buy it? Yes.

Has it found itself unpopular among the hardcore gamers who post online? Yes.

Future FF games will sell because thy are solid games with strong advertising is behind it.

Conegamer said:
SHMUPGurus said:

Heck, I'd be quite happy if they just continued with Kingdom Hearts and Dragon Quest, though it seems as though all that potential for new IPs is going to waste...

Yeah. In my opinion, Kingdom Hearts is pretty much the only good thing that came out after the Square and Enix merge (the second game)... Oh and FFXII!

Random game thought :
Why is Bionic Commando Rearmed 2 getting so much hate? We finally get a real game and they're not even satisfied... I'm starting to hate the gaming community so f****** much...

Watch my insane gameplay videos on my YouTube page!

Around the Network
SHMUPGurus said:
Conegamer said:
SHMUPGurus said:

Yeah. In my opinion, Kingdom Hearts is pretty much the only good thing that came out after the Square and Enix merge... Oh and FFXII!

Indefinately. FF12 has to be one of the great games of the PS2. 

But how long did it take to make? 4 years? Maybe 5? 

And how many FF games are we looking at this year. Precisely

Also, I don't think most people enjoyed FF13. And just because it sells well, doesn't mean it's any good. Look at Ninjabread man and other Wii shovelware for example

SHMUPGurus said:

Win of the day.

I've not read this thread. I've not read the Destructoid article (Although I can assure it's been written by Stirling. It has to have been). So I'm just going to comment on if I think Final Fantasy is burnt out.

Final Fantasy XIII is already the 4th best selling Final Fantasy game of all time, in under a Year since it was released in the West. 

It has a sequel coming out for the HD consoles.
It has a Spin-off in development for the PS3.
There are currently 3 Final Fantasy games in development for the PSP.

This is all despite Square Enix being managed by a douchebag who doesn't know what he's doing with the Franchise.

Final Fantasy is far from being burned out. Just because they released one game, which was an MMO released only on the PC thus-far, which has been a disaster, does not mean that the series is burned out.

I might read whatever Destructoid have put out and add to this depending on the reasons they have gave.

omg so much fail.

I don't even feel like commenting on something so devoided of reason.

Carl2291 said:

I've not read this thread. I've not read the Destructoid article (Although I can assure it's been written by Stirling. It has to have been). So I'm just going to comment on if I think Final Fantasy is burnt out.

Final Fantasy XIII is already the 4th best selling Final Fantasy game of all time, in under a Year since it was released in the West. 

It has a sequel coming out for the HD consoles.
It has a Spin-off in development for the PS3.
There are currently 3 Final Fantasy games in development for the PSP.

This is all despite Square Enix being managed by a douchebag who doesn't know what he's doing with the Franchise.

Final Fantasy is far from being burned out. Just because they released one game, which was an MMO released only on the PC thus-far, which has been a disaster, does not mean that the series is burned out.

I might read whatever Destructoid have put out and add to this depending on the reasons they have gave.

I suppose your right, in terms of sales, it's better than ever

However, for many people, it's the quality that counts. And that's what the article was talking about. The quality has been in a downward spiral ever since Sakaguchi left for me, aside from X and XII, great games which pioneered the genre

However, akin to Activision and COD, just how long will it last if they milk the same cow? People will eventually catch on, and after the disappointment (for many) of FF13, some won't be returning

I don't hate FF. I love it. But FF11, FF13 and FF14 aren't real FF games. And that's just too frequent for me. I shall give them one last chance, like I did Sonic with Sonic Colours, and they pulled it out the bag. Let's hope that Squeenix can do the same...