By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Will the 3DS sell 300 million+ ?

Will the 3DS sell 300 million+ ?

Yes it will!!! 90 22.17%

No...Just no!!! 315 77.59%

Total:405

Can't believe how much some of you wish it would fail, :P. Under DS, really? Save for the inexistent threat that is the iOS device family, nothing indicates that it'll do less than DS.

This is like DS, except with awesome features, third party support and the world's largest userbase on its back. And competition (not iOS, NGP) that isn't nearly as strong as before.

...300m is a really funny joke, though. More like 200-225m.

“These are my principles; if you don’t like them, I have others.” – Groucho Marx

Around the Network
Chibi.V.29 said:
SpartenOmega117 said:

no i think it will sell about a third of that

Yh thats my prediction ^^ 100 million.

I agree around 100Mil seems like it.

Japanese Pop Culture Otaku

I see it selling around half the amount of DS lifetime, maybe a little more. So around 90-100 million. I don't see a lot of the expanded audience who bought a DS run out and pick up a 3D version, and the games seem to be far more core focused thus far. So I think it'll lose a chunk of the expanded audience. However, it'll also get some more attention from the core audience.

Lol. Hell no. Actually hell has a better chance of freezing over.

mhsillen said:

What? 300mil? As much as I love my Nintendo handhelds that preposterous.

Less than ds but over 100mil my guess

This.  100%

Around the Network
Immortal said:

Can't believe how much some of you wish it would fail, :P. Under DS, really? Save for the inexistent threat that is the iOS device family, nothing indicates that it'll do less than DS.

This is like DS, except with awesome features, third party support and the world's largest userbase on its back. And competition (not iOS, NGP) that isn't nearly as strong as before.

Whilst there is nothing to say it will sell less. there is nothing to say it will sell more ;D And what statistics do you have to say the NGP wont outsell it? im not saying it will. but we have all been proven wrong before that basing sales on the success of past events doesnt work. 

Yeah i know my spelling sucks but im dysgraphic so live with it :3    

---------------------------------------------------Bets--------------------------------------------------

Conegamer - I say that the PS3 will beat the DS next week in Japan  (for hardware sales) Forfeit is control over others avatar for 1 week.

Wagram said:

Lol. Hell no. Actually hell has a better chance of freezing over.

Well technically speaking if you where assume that a soul as a physical mass hence being able to be trapped in a hell and based that everyone must go to hell due to all religions saying you will if you do not basically follow there belief(not literaly like that) then by know there are 56 billion (current earth population is between 8% and 12% of total human race since we began is alive today) souls at the centre of the earth. Should have frozen over by now due to the mass / heat ratio :P

Lolololol sorry we had a long argument about this at school and felt like bringing it up xD

Yeah i know my spelling sucks but im dysgraphic so live with it :3    

---------------------------------------------------Bets--------------------------------------------------

Conegamer - I say that the PS3 will beat the DS next week in Japan  (for hardware sales) Forfeit is control over others avatar for 1 week.

125 million by 2018 and thats being generous, its just not as cheap as the DS was which was a huge selling point. When it drop down to $149 I have no doubt it will take off.

Chibi.V.29 said:
Immortal said:

Whilst there is nothing to say it will sell less. there is nothing to say it will sell more ;D And what statistics do you have to say the NGP wont outsell it? im not saying it will. but we have all been proven wrong before that basing sales on the success of past events doesnt work. 

Read the bolded.

And, mind you, NGP, from what we know of it, doesn't even do something new. All other times when a new leader has arisen, there's been a reason. NES - Harsh  publishing regulations, collapsing industry. (Genesis, if it counts, released early and had what I'd say was the most effective marketing in the history video gaming, not to mention Sonic) PS1 - Optical media, "mature" games. Wii - "Casual" games.

The NGP is doing nothing radical and, historically, a generation only becomes more exaggerated than the last unless something drastic is done to prevent it. And I'm being nice in this argument by allowing home consoles because, in handhelds, the only rule that has gone so far is "Nintendo wins", simple as that.

“These are my principles; if you don’t like them, I have others.” – Groucho Marx

I could see 200 Million because I wouldn't be surprised to see the 3DS remain on the market for 7 or 8 years before Nintendo releases their next handheld, multiple people within a household can own a handheld system, an individual can own multiple versions of a handheld system over a generation, and the overall market is growing.