By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - PS3 System Software Update (v3.56)... just a security patch.

Does anybody think Sony will win this fight?

Bet with Conegamer and Doobie_wop 

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=3879752

Around the Network
AussieGecko said:

Hopefully. We're off to a good start so far.

dharh said:

I have confirmed the issue that is borking some peoples PS3s, despite them not 'hacking' or otherwise doing things to their PS3 that is against the 'rules'. 3.56 is rejecting upgraded hard drives. I don't think all of them as some people say they upgraded to 3.56 and were still able to swap another hard drive in.

However, many people who previously were using an upgraded drive or are trying to upgrade their drive while using 3.56 are finding no success.

All said and done my PS3 works again, sans most of my save data as I had to revert to the stock 80GB hard drive that came with my phat PS3. My 640GB drive is now useless.

Did you try using using your 640GB after you updated?

Xen said:
AussieGecko said:

yeah not disagreeing with hopefully but lets hope its not win early and then snowball.

I still find it odd that apple lost yet sony won... it doesnt make a lot of sense.

AussieGecko said:
Xen said:
AussieGecko said:

yeah not disagreeing with hopefully but lets hope its not win early and then snowball.

I still find it odd that apple lost yet sony won... it doesnt make a lot of sense.

Yup. It's not like Apple is a small company incapable of making a proper case... oh well, water under the birdge.

Around the Network
Xen said:

Yup. It's not like Apple is a small company incapable of making a proper case... oh well, water under the birdge.

See that is the thing I am damn sure this is familiar. I have heard this before, I am sure the same thing happened for apple but then it was appealed through a different judge and apple got sliced.

Though maybe it was a different case. All I am saying is this isn't over by a very long shot. I just hope the next judge is quite agreeable with this one and has balls and does something about this. Otherwise there will be a law that allows jail breaking on consoles thus digital downloads goin down the tube because MS, Sony and Nintendo, as well as maybe by extension possibly steam etc because of this.

I want Digital Distribution to succeed Any and I mean ANY success made by these hackers will hamper this.

IMU1808 said:
dharh said:

I have confirmed the issue that is borking some peoples PS3s, despite them not 'hacking' or otherwise doing things to their PS3 that is against the 'rules'. 3.56 is rejecting upgraded hard drives. I don't think all of them as some people say they upgraded to 3.56 and were still able to swap another hard drive in.

However, many people who previously were using an upgraded drive or are trying to upgrade their drive while using 3.56 are finding no success.

All said and done my PS3 works again, sans most of my save data as I had to revert to the stock 80GB hard drive that came with my phat PS3. My 640GB drive is now useless.

Yes. It essentially refuses to recognize the drive. It was like when I first put it in the first place a year ago, it asks to format the drive and then asks for the current version of the software update on a flash drive. At that point it throws an error about corrupt data. Except I know better, its rejecting the drive not the flash drive because its the exact same flash drive that I used for the stock drive (which worked) _and_ I even went so far as to use an alternate usb drive "just in case".

A warrior keeps death on the mind from the moment of their first breath to the moment of their last.

dharh said:
IMU1808 said:
dharh said:

Yes. It essentially refuses to recognize the drive. It was like when I first put it in the first place a year ago, it asks to format the drive and then asks for the current version of the software update on a flash drive. At that point it throws an error about corrupt data. Except I know better, its rejecting the drive not the flash drive because its the exact same flash drive that I used for the stock drive (which worked) _and_ I even went so far as to use an alternate usb drive "just in case".

I have a 500 GB Hard Drive and I checked just now, it works fine. I even checked how much space is remaining, its showing 325 GB.

There's no way for PS3 to tell if a HDD is upgraded or not. Even if you put the older HDD it asks you to format it and place a new update on it. Or on a flash drive. 

I upgraded using the flash drive though.

mantlepiecek said:
dharh said:

I have a 500 GB Hard Drive and I checked just now, it works fine. I even checked how much space is remaining, its showing 325 GB.

There's no way for PS3 to tell if a HDD is upgraded or not. Even if you put the older HDD it asks you to format it and place a new update on it. Or on a flash drive. 

I upgraded using the flash drive though.

Yes, I alluded to that before. It's not refusing 'upgraded drives' per se. It's that something about many upgraded drives is being rejected. I've been looking around and it might even be something as mundane as how much memory is in the drive 8mb buffer vs 16mb buffer.

A warrior keeps death on the mind from the moment of their first breath to the moment of their last.

More info about Firmware 3.56.

The new Firmware 3.56 also kills homebrew and ban everyone using Jailbreck or cheat in PSN. Below you'll find a list of official changes Sony have announced:

• The PS3™ system can now play 3D content on Blu-ray 3D™ discs.
  • An HD 3D display, active 3D glasses, and a high-speed HDMI cable (each sold separately) are required for 3D features. Visit www.us.playstation.com/support/3D for details.
  • Limitations on Blu-ray 3D™ disc playback
  • The 3D display of some elements such as menus and subtitles may be different on the PS3™ system than on other 3D playback devices.
  • Depending on the content, some BD-J (Blu-ray Disc™ Java*) features such as BONUSVIEW™ and BD-Live™ may not play in 3D or may not function properly on the PS3™ system.
  • When Dolby TrueHD is selected as the audio format, audio will be output in Dolby Digital during playback of Blu-ray 3D™ content.
  • When DTS-HD is selected as the audio format, audio will be output in DTS during playback of Blu-ray 3D™ content.
  • *Blu-ray Disc Java provides enhanced bonus content, including network access, picture-in-picture (PIP) functionality and expanded local storage.