By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - PS3 System Software Update (v3.56)... just a security patch.

dharh said:

I have confirmed the issue that is borking some peoples PS3s, despite them not 'hacking' or otherwise doing things to their PS3 that is against the 'rules'. 3.56 is rejecting upgraded hard drives. I don't think all of them as some people say they upgraded to 3.56 and were still able to swap another hard drive in.

However, many people who previously were using an upgraded drive or are trying to upgrade their drive while using 3.56 are finding no success.

All said and done my PS3 works again, sans most of my save data as I had to revert to the stock 80GB hard drive that came with my phat PS3. My 640GB drive is now useless.

Dont believe everything you read.  I have a 250 GB disk in my original 40GB Fat, I upgraded 3.56 no problem.  Played some Black Ops and a number of hrs of Demon's Souls.

Around the Network
Hornet303 said:
dharh said:

I have confirmed the issue that is borking some peoples PS3s, despite them not 'hacking' or otherwise doing things to their PS3 that is against the 'rules'. 3.56 is rejecting upgraded hard drives. I don't think all of them as some people say they upgraded to 3.56 and were still able to swap another hard drive in.

However, many people who previously were using an upgraded drive or are trying to upgrade their drive while using 3.56 are finding no success.

All said and done my PS3 works again, sans most of my save data as I had to revert to the stock 80GB hard drive that came with my phat PS3. My 640GB drive is now useless.

Dont believe everything you read.  I have a 250 GB disk in my original 40GB Fat, I upgraded 3.56 no problem.  Played some Black Ops and a number of hrs of Demon's Souls.

Heh. How do you explain my issue then? I know the 640GB drive works. It was working before 3.56, I update to 3.56 (which fails) and the PS3 fails, am unable to do anything with my ps3 other than attempt to update to 3.56. I put the stock 80GB drive in and suddenly im able to update properly. PS3 is fully back up and working with 80GB. I tested the 640GB drive elsewhere, it checks out as working fine with no failures. Put 640GB drive in PS3, PS3 will not install 3.56 on the drive.

A warrior keeps death on the mind from the moment of their first breath to the moment of their last.

AussieGecko said:
Xen said:

Yup. It's not like Apple is a small company incapable of making a proper case... oh well, water under the birdge.

See that is the thing I am damn sure this is familiar. I have heard this before, I am sure the same thing happened for apple but then it was appealed through a different judge and apple got sliced.

Though maybe it was a different case. All I am saying is this isn't over by a very long shot. I just hope the next judge is quite agreeable with this one and has balls and does something about this. Otherwise there will be a law that allows jail breaking on consoles thus digital downloads goin down the tube because MS, Sony and Nintendo, as well as maybe by extension possibly steam etc because of this.

I want Digital Distribution to succeed Any and I mean ANY success made by these hackers will hamper this.

Yeah, like Apple is strugggling with their AppStore, Microsoft is having a lot of problems with Xbox Live Marketplace, and Nintendo's WiiWare is dying, all because of those hackers...

Seriously, the law can say anything about jailbreaking but as long as your system has REAL security (instead of constants in key places, seriously Sony, WTF...) there should be no problem...

I support doing to your bought hardware whatever you want, at your own risk, if the console bricks, if they ban you from online, etc. that's on you...  And people that use those mods to piracy (which is illegal) or to ruining other people's gaming experience deserve what they get...

But why i have to apologize or get prosecuted for 1. Buying a product (hardware), 2. Doing mods to it, 3. Sharing my knowledge about modding it??? Did i steal something??? no, did i share info about stealing something??? no (although, that's not entirely illegal), did i cheat online??? no... So i did nothing wrong...

AussieGecko said:
Xen said:
AussieGecko said:

Does anybody think Sony will win this fight?

Hopefully. We're off to a good start so far.

yeah not disagreeing with hopefully but lets hope its not win early and then snowball.

I still find it odd that apple lost yet sony won... it doesnt make a lot of sense.

Last time I checked Sony hadn't "won" anything yet.  Its still in the court system for them to win or lose.  They just have a stop gap in place against a few of the "hackers".

Thats far from a win by any stretch of the word.

"If you've got them by the balls their hearts and minds will follow."

Quote by- The Imortal John Wayne, the original BADASS!

The Anarchyz said:

Yeah, like Apple is strugggling with their AppStore, Microsoft is having a lot of problems with Xbox Live Marketplace, and Nintendo's WiiWare is dying, all because of those hackers...

Seriously, the law can say anything about jailbreaking but as long as your system has REAL security (instead of constants in key places, seriously Sony, WTF...) there should be no problem...

I support doing to your bought hardware whatever you want, at your own risk, if the console bricks, if they ban you from online, etc. that's on you...  And people that use those mods to piracy (which is illegal) or to ruining other people's gaming experience deserve what they get...

But why i have to apologize or get prosecuted for 1. Buying a product (hardware), 2. Doing mods to it, 3. Sharing my knowledge about modding it??? Did i steal something??? no, did i share info about stealing something??? no (although, that's not entirely illegal), did i cheat online??? no... So i did nothing wrong...

err actually,

you bought the hardware but your "mods" are to the software which you do NOT own.  just because i bought windows doesn't mean i have the right to distribute the software to anyone and everyone i want to.  that is most definetly illegal.  if you want to do something like that pony up the 8 Billion or whatever dollars it would cost to buy windows.

sony's firmware is no different -- you don't own it -- you don't have the right to modify it.

if you want to replace it with something else (i.e. linux) go right ahead though.  oh wait, that's right, you used to be able to do that until the hackers couldn't leave well enough alone...

Around the Network
dharh said:
Hornet303 said:
dharh said:

Heh. How do you explain my issue then? I know the 640GB drive works. It was working before 3.56, I update to 3.56 (which fails) and the PS3 fails, am unable to do anything with my ps3 other than attempt to update to 3.56. I put the stock 80GB drive in and suddenly im able to update properly. PS3 is fully back up and working with 80GB. I tested the 640GB drive elsewhere, it checks out as working fine with no failures. Put 640GB drive in PS3, PS3 will not install 3.56 on the drive.

So your update failed, is that what you'r saying?

Your PS3 should be bricked by that, you are lucky. Or maybe the bricking was just a HDD issue. Either way, if an update fails, its your fault. (Not trying to blame you)

Try using it again, with the update included. This time it should work.

mantlepiecek said:

dharh said:

So your update failed, is that what you'r saying?

Your PS3 should be bricked by that, you are lucky. Or maybe the bricking was just a HDD issue. Either way, if an update fails, its your fault. (Not trying to blame you)

Try using it again, with the update included. This time it should work.

SONY wishes you to believe that you can actually 'brick' your PS3 when in reality, most of the time whats really happened is your hard drive has entered a state that the PS3 can't recover from. You can fix a bricked PS3 most of the time by taking the hard drive out, poping it into an external (or interally if you want) dock. The PS3 uses a proprietary file system so your PC/MAC/whatever wont recognize the the file system, but that doesn't matter, just reformat the HDD to some variant of FAT.

Pop the drive back into your PS3. It will recognize that it needs to format the drive, will do so, and then ask for the update file. Because believe it or not an update doesn't just change the firmware on the PS3 it updates the software on the hard drive.

Which is also why you can downgrade a PS3 if you pop in a properly formatted hard drive of a lower version into the PS3 of a higher version.

Not sure if you just didn't read full what I wrote previously. But I have already, multiple times, even after getting the PS3 updated fully to 3.56 using the stock 80GB drive, tried to install a completely cleaned 640GB drive into the PS3 with zero success. This drive was previously perfectly fine.

Some people may not be having issues with their custom hard drives. Some other people _are_ having issues with theirs.

A warrior keeps death on the mind from the moment of their first breath to the moment of their last.

More news...

PS3 OFW 3.56 New Feature: Rootkit (allegedly)

Originally Posted by N.A: For those who are curious about the new PS3 security, it seems Sony has implemented something in 3.56 I mentioned here a few weeks ago that is the same as Microsoft uses to detect and ban 360's.

Mathieulh just posted about it on IRC.

Essentially Sony can now remotely execute code on the PS3 as soon as you connect. This can do whatever Sony wants it to do such as verifying system files or searching for homebrew. Sony can change the code and add new detection methods without any firmware updates and as the code executes remotely there is no reliable way to forge the replies.

Whilst it is possible to patch or remove this code from the firmware this will likely mean the end of playing CFW online (as PSN can just check before login that this is active) or at the very least mean it will be even easier for Sony to detect and ban users.

Judging from the fact that people can still connect using the proxy method it seems Sony hasn't activated any of this yet but the functions are there in the new firmware.

Originally Posted by IRC:

Jan 27 14:44:32 <Mathieulh> 3.56 has nice new stuffs in there :P
Jan 27 14:44:43 <Mathieulh> like remote code execution upon login
Jan 27 14:44:45 <Sorrowuk> They will just release patches so people who have hacked cant go online
Jan 27 14:44:46 <Mathieulh> yummy :P
Jan 27 14:44:50 <noone> WAT
Jan 27 14:45:00 <noone> RFE built-in the fw!?
Jan 27 14:45:25 <Mathieulh> 3.56 pretty much has a built in psn rootkit
Jan 27 14:45:30 <noone> dude, that's the only stuff i'd be afraid of
Jan 27 14:45:31 <Mathieulh> don't tell me I haven't warned you
Jan 27 14:45:43 <Sorrowuk> psn rootkit ?
Jan 27 14:46:05 <noone> but if we could rip-off the fw that shit would be erased
Jan 27 14:46:20 <noone> that was the only thing stopped sony to _auto_ update your fw
Jan 27 14:46:22 <Mathieulh> noone it's not that simple
Jan 27 14:46:29 <Mathieulh> the server awaits a proper reply
Jan 27 14:46:34 <Mathieulh> and that reply isn't in the firmware

dharh said:

SONY wishes you to believe that you can actually 'brick' your PS3 when in reality, most of the time whats really happened is your hard drive has entered a state that the PS3 can't recover from. You can fix a bricked PS3 most of the time by taking the hard drive out, poping it into an external (or interally if you want) dock. The PS3 uses a proprietary file system so your PC/MAC/whatever wont recognize the the file system, but that doesn't matter, just reformat the HDD to some variant of FAT.

Pop the drive back into your PS3. It will recognize that it needs to format the drive, will do so, and then ask for the update file. Because believe it or not an update doesn't just change the firmware on the PS3 it updates the software on the hard drive.

Which is also why you can downgrade a PS3 if you pop in a properly formatted hard drive of a lower version into the PS3 of a higher version.

Not sure if you just didn't read full what I wrote previously. But I have already, multiple times, even after getting the PS3 updated fully to 3.56 using the stock 80GB drive, tried to install a completely cleaned 640GB drive into the PS3 with zero success. This drive was previously perfectly fine.

Some people may not be having issues with their custom hard drives. Some other people _are_ having issues with theirs.

What does it say when you try to install it?

mantlepiecek said:
dharh said:

What does it say when you try to install it?

Gives a generic corruption error. An error mind you that even SONYS website doesn't know exists.