By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - GT5 - Do you play it with a driving wheel?

GT5 - Do you play it with a driving wheel?

No 27 31.76%

Yes, the Driving Force GT 36 42.35%

Yes, the G25 8 9.41%

Yes, the G27 10 11.76%

Yes, other (cheaper one) 2 2.35%

Yes, other (more expensive one) 2 2.35%

Total:85

I'll buy GT5 someday, but I always delayed the buy thinking that it would be much better playing it with a wheel.
I tried GTs a few times with the pad, and even if I enjoyed it, I couldn't help but thinking that this game is meant to be played with a wheel.

What do you think? and how do you play it?

They will know Helgan belongs to Helghasts

Around the Network

As a GT fan from the days of GT1, I always used to play GT games with the pad, and it was a satisfying experience. 

Nonetheless, starting from GT4, it also felt like I was missing something, as if the pad wasn't actually the best option. So, before GT5 released, I decided to buy a DFGT. 

I bought it two days before the release date, so I gave it a try on GT5:P. It was an eye opener. Even though I had zero experience with the DFGT, after an hour practicing with it, I started doing much better lap times than I ever did with the DS3.

So, from the get go of GT5 that I haven't played it any other way. This is the way that any GT game is meant to be played (and trust me, once you get to one of the higher level events, you'll wish you had a wheel, as it's impossible to gold with a pad). 

Current PC Build

CPU - i7 8700K 3.7 GHz (4.7 GHz turbo) 6 cores OC'd to 5.2 GHz with Watercooling (Hydro Series H110i) | MB - Gigabyte Z370 HD3P ATX | Gigabyte GTX 1080ti Gaming OC BLACK 11G (1657 MHz Boost Core / 11010 MHz Memory) | RAM - Corsair DIMM 32GB DDR4, 2400 MHz | PSU - Corsair CX650M (80+ Bronze) 650W | Audio - Asus Essence STX II 7.1 | Monitor - Samsung U28E590D 4K UHD, Freesync, 1 ms, 60 Hz, 28"

I wish I had a wheel >:0

Try my new level at LittleBigPlanet: Amok's Cave ;D

Get your Portable ID!

Currently playing 
PS3: Uncharted 3, Resistance 3.
Wii: - 

Hyped for: The Last Guardian, Binary Domain.

I play with DS3 for the simple reason I can't afford a wheel at the moment. When I get a decent job, wheel is pretty high on my list of things to buy (although behind an upgraded PC).

Lest's last scentence makes perfect sense. Play some of the later events and you really do wish you had a wheel over the DS3.

lestatdark said:

As a GT fan from the days of GT1, I always used to play GT games with the pad, and it was a satisfying experience. 

Nonetheless, starting from GT4, it also felt like I was missing something, as if the pad wasn't actually the best option. So, before GT5 released, I decided to buy a DFGT. 

I bought it two days before the release date, so I gave it a try on GT5:P. It was an eye opener. Even though I had zero experience with the DFGT, after an hour practicing with it, I started doing much better lap times than I ever did with the DS3.

So, from the get go of GT5 that I haven't played it any other way. This is the way that any GT game is meant to be played (and trust me, once you get to one of the higher level events, you'll wish you had a wheel, as it's impossible to gold with a pad). 

and that wheel really works well for you

this guys laps over me when he is on a wheel and i'm on a pad

Around the Network

I used to have a Driving Force GT, paid a handsome amount of money for it as well but my previous roommates seem to have taken it when they moved in the summer!

I never used it much but I wish I had it now for sure.

Never used a wheel and have owned all the main GT games (1-5). I would like to try one but don't really have much room. I did finally get all bronze in the Sebastien Vettel challenge with my DS3 but during that challenge was the only time I thought that maybe I should have a wheel. Hopefully will get the silvers next.

Yes, a DFGT. Even though the wheel has major dead zone issues, it still adds a whole lot to the experience. 

ithis said:

Yes, a DFGT. Even though the wheel has major dead zone issues, it still adds a whole lot to the experience. 

It does have major dead zones

With a 900º lock-to-lock range, you would think that most of it would be useful. It's a shame that the turn angle on GT5 is limited to 270º, that makes some cars like the X2010, F2007, F10, FGT or any RUF, very "twitchy" due to their over-steer characteristics. 

The implementation of an option of switching between 270º or 360º as some racers have (GRID, F1 2010 and so on), would have been a good thing.

Current PC Build

CPU - i7 8700K 3.7 GHz (4.7 GHz turbo) 6 cores OC'd to 5.2 GHz with Watercooling (Hydro Series H110i) | MB - Gigabyte Z370 HD3P ATX | Gigabyte GTX 1080ti Gaming OC BLACK 11G (1657 MHz Boost Core / 11010 MHz Memory) | RAM - Corsair DIMM 32GB DDR4, 2400 MHz | PSU - Corsair CX650M (80+ Bronze) 650W | Audio - Asus Essence STX II 7.1 | Monitor - Samsung U28E590D 4K UHD, Freesync, 1 ms, 60 Hz, 28"

Early results, but yet 12 out of 21 use a wheel to play it.

I did not expected that at all, but that pretty much confirms my thoughts, the game should be played with a wheel.

It makes me want one even more. The DFGT being 100€ now 60€ game (in France)...

They will know Helgan belongs to Helghasts