Virtual tie 10 2.31%

Dunno! Gonna be close. 12 2.78%

MEH! 15 3.47%

whichever has the longest legs!!! 25 5.79%

Total:432
KylieDog said:
jarrod said:
KylieDog said:

DKCR, less competition on Wii than GT5 has on PS3.

Buh?  DKCR goes up directly against NSMB, Kirby, Wario Land... what racing sims does GT5 have to contend with on PS3?  NFS Shift?  It's definitely a more crowded arena on DKCR's side.

Except for Kirby you are listing old games, and GT5 faces more competition from games in general.  Competition doesn't need be same genre, especially given PS3 user demographics.

NSMB might be "old" but it sells like a new game. ;)

GT5 faces far, far less same platform competition that DKCR has.  Inside or outside it's genre, DKCR actually competes with games that can sell 10m plus, in a variety of genres. GT5 has had it easy by comparison...

Around the Network
pezus said:
jarrod said:
pezus said:
jarrod said:

DKCR might actually pass 10m, GT5 assuredly won't at this rate.  In the end though, I think DKCR will just squeak ahead, it's on track to be one of the best selling DKC games really (while GT5's on track to be the worst selling mainline installment)...

How is it on track? It's ahead of GT4 and probably all other mainline GT's at the moment. It has already got to 1.5 million in America so it only needs a bit more than a million more there to meet most predictions. EMEAA is where the sales will be at for a long time I assure you.

GT5's already had a holiday, GT4 didn't at this point which makes it a somewhat apples/oranges comparison.  And even considering that, GT4 sold better in the US and Japan launch aligned... GT5's sales aren't really all that encouraging when examined carefully...

EMEAA are where most of its sales are at anyway. If those regions show growth from GT4 it won't need as good sales in Japan or the US as GT4 had.

They haven't necessarily shown growth though.  It sold more in Europe at launch, but it was also over a holiday period (while GT4 was a Q1 launch).  Sales aren't actually much higher even, which isn't really encouraging given the seasonal advantage for GT5... after a full year (and it's first holiday season), GT4 will probably be ahead.

KylieDog said:
jarrod said:
KylieDog said:

Except for Kirby you are listing old games, and GT5 faces more competition from games in general.  Competition doesn't need be same genre, especially given PS3 user demographics.

NSMB might be "old" but it sells like a new game. ;)

GT5 faces far, far less same platform competition that DKCR has.  Inside or outside it's genre, DKCR actually competes with games that can sell 10m plus, in a variety of genres. GT5 has had it easy by comparison...

No it doesn't.  Each person will only buy 1 copy of NSMBWii, and the forthcoming year looks pretty blank for Wii, the top 10 of 2011 list IGN did couldn't even fil the 10 slots and that had to used titles not likely to leave japan.  Where as PS3 has ME2, UC3, Infamous 2, kZ2, MvC3, MK etc etc etc.  Too many to list.

So GT5 faces off against a bunch of less popular, lower selling new titles, while DKCR faces off against a bunch of more popular, huge hit evergreens... yeah, I can certainly see how GT5's competition is so intimidating. ;)

Well now I can actually read the OP unlike before, I can say that DKCR will sell more in America's and GT5 will sell more in EMEAA.

Buying in 2015: Captain toad: treasure tracker,

mario maker

new 3ds

yoshi woolly world

zelda U

majora's mask 3d

I do think it's obvious that GT5 will win this because it's the best Sony seller & DK-CR ISN'T THE BEST Nintendo seller or even at the top 5 still I thought that DK-CR will end up selling 5M , I was wrong the game will pass that , to me GT5 will end up selling 10M at least

Around the Network
jarrod said:

DKCR might actually pass 10m, GT5 assuredly won't at this rate.  In the end though, I think DKCR will just squeak ahead, it's on track to be one of the best selling DKC games really (while GT5's on track to be the worst selling mainline installment)...

Now, what on Earth brought you to that conclusion? GT5 only sold 20k less in the latest chart and is 1.3 million ahead LTD.

Gran Turismo 5 only because of bundling. Donkey Kong Country Returns is a masterpiece in a venerable series, but it's sales will not be carried by bundling.

I don't mean to demean bundled sales, but I do. A game sold by itself is a desired purchase, a game sold in a bundle is a compelled purchase. With the former, it is entirely your choice, the latter is not so much a choice.

Killiana1a said:

Gran Turismo 5 only because of bundling. Donkey Kong Country Returns is a masterpiece in a venerable series, but it's sales will not be carried by bundling.

I don't mean to demean bundled sales, but I do. A game sold by itself is a desired purchase, a game sold in a bundle is a compelled purchase. With the former, it is entirely your choice, the latter is not so much a choice.

I dunno, Nintendo's been a lot more successful with bundling top titles this gen (Wii Sports, Resort, NSMB) than Sony has.  I'd say chances are pretty good DKCR gets a new color bundle next holiday, in which case passing 10m is pretty much guaranteed.

GT5's already had bundles in every region btw.  Barely did anything.

--OkeyDokey-- said:
jarrod said:

Now, what on Earth brought you to that conclusion? GT5 only sold 20k less in the latest chart and is 1.3 million ahead LTD.

GT5 started significantly higher, the gap's been closing nearly every week since December started.  Both games will have long legs, but DKCR will sell more consistently and get the higher holiday/bundle lifts.   

they are different genre.