By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Hyperdimension Neptunia: Perfect For The JRPG Fan?

makingmusic476 said:
badgenome said:

Someone is expecting an awful lot from an Idea Factory game...

And everything I've read about the game makes it sound like the gameplay is pretty boring.  Pretty typical Idea Factory stuff.

If only the concept wasn't so amazingly awesome, I could allow myself to not buy and save some money!

The concept sold me on it... you remember the news pieces... preorder it on the NIS America store!

Around the Network
axumblade said:

<3 NISA

They should have a great year between bringing us Neptunia and bringing us Disgaea 4.

And Ar Tonelico 3!

RPGs overall have been lacking this generation and this game looks like it isn't going to do any justice.

Of course I can always get my Final Fantasy and Star Ocean fix from Square-Enix. However Nintendo is being retarded and doesn't want to localize very promising games. Also to me the WRPG genre is still as piss poor as it always have been excluding the Mass Effect games and MAYBE Dragon Age (for me).

Hopefully next generation they can amek a comeback.

Wagram said:

RPGs overall have been lacking this generation and this game looks like it isn't going to do any justice.

Of course I can always get my Final Fantasy and Star Ocean fix from Square-Enix. However Nintendo is being retarded and doesn't want to localize very promising games. Also to me the WRPG genre is still as piss poor as it always have been excluding the Mass Effect games and MAYBE Dragon Age (for me).

No.

JRPG's are shrinking as a genre. And people, don't jump me with all that "but handheldzzzzzz" argument... the situation on the PSP and DS is less than stellar aside from a few exceptions...

welcome to:

===== http://www.fashiongoods999.us  ====

Air jordan(1-24)shoes $30

Handbags(Coach l v f e n d i d&g) $35

Tshirts (Polo ,ed hardy,lacoste) $15

Jean(True Religion,ed hardy,coogi) $30

Sunglasses(Oakey,coach,gucci,A r m a i n i) $15

New era cap $12

Bikini (Ed hardy,polo) $20

accept paypal and free shipping

====== http://www.fashiongoods999.us ====

====== http://www.fashiongoods999.us ====

Around the Network
Xen said:
Wagram said:

No.

JRPG's are shrinking as a genre. And people, don't jump me with all that "but handheldzzzzzz" argument... the situation on the PSP and DS is less than stellar aside from a few exceptions...

Well, that's totally subjective. Look at my JRPG/SRPG divide, for example:

DS: 17
PSP: 9 (out of 10 games, more to come)
Wii PS3 360: 9 (number could go up or down a couple depending on your definition of a JRPG)

On topic, I can tell that this game isn't for me just by looking at the screens, but I've never been a fan of the Luminous Arc/Sakura Wars/Agarest type JRPGs.

Cactus said:
Xen said:
Wagram said:

No.

Well, that's totally subjective. Look at my JRPG/SRPG divide, for example:

DS: 17
PSP: 9 (out of 10 games, more to come)
Wii PS3 360: 9 (number could go up or down a couple depending on your definition of a JRPG)

On topic, I can tell that this game isn't for me just by looking at the screens, but I've never been a fan of the Luminous Arc/Sakura Wars/Agarest type JRPGs.

I know that there are numbers, but honestly, the quality is so-so for the most part IMO... perhaps my standards or on the rise yet again after playing some brilliant stuff in the face of Disgaea, Chrono Trigger, and P3FES.

Xen said:
axumblade said:

<3 NISA

They should have a great year between bringing us Neptunia and bringing us Disgaea 4.

And Ar Tonelico 3!

And all of them are coming in Europe too :)

Well ok no official release date for Disgaea 4 but this one is 99,9% sure anyway considering D3 was released here.

PROUD MEMBER OF THE PSP RPG FAN CLUB

Zlejedi said:
Xen said:
axumblade said:

<3 NISA

And Ar Tonelico 3!

And all of them are coming in Europe too :)

Well ok no official release date for Disgaea 4 but this one is 99,9% sure anyway considering D3 was released here.

Kinda pointless if you can import from NISA Store with all its goodies!

Xen said:
Wagram said:

No.

It's because JRPGs are by and large stuck in the past (Eternal Sonata, etc.) or are going in the wrong direction (FFXIII, as much as I enjoyed it).  If more developers had taken cues from FFXII, mixing a free form, action based combat system with a large open world and a narrative that doesn't treat its audience like children (despite it starting to fall apart halfway through), and only improved upon that, the JRPG genre would probably be much healthier today.

Versus XIII looks excellent, however, taking cues from both Kingdom Hearts and XII, only mixing it all in its own unique style.  The question is just how content-rich its overworld will be, and whether the story will play out more like XIII or XII.