By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Next Generation: 2.5 million+ Wii's in N.A., 2.0 million in Europe?

http://www.next-gen.biz/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=5183&Itemid=2

Wii Shortages 'Could Last Months'

Nintendo says there is no end in sight of retail shortages of its Wii console.

Although the machine launched five months ago units remain scarce at retail. Over 2.5 million units are estimated to have been sold in North America and a further 2 million in Europe.

Speaking to Game Theory Podcast, Perrin Kaplan, Nintendo’s VP of marketing and corporate affairs said, “There is a lot going on behind the scenes in terms of working on what we are producing and the numbers continue to rise but the product is so very popular that we may see a supply / demand situation last for some time.”

She added, “We are at absolute maximum production and doing everything we can. The number of units that we have been able to produce has far exceeded our hardware production in the past and the production levels of a lot of our competitors but demand continues to be really high. People are being really diligent about working with retailers to locate one but we are cognisent of the fact that a lot of fans are not able to get their hands on one yet. We are asking them to be patient and to know that we are working on this as fast as we can.”

Kaplan was asked if, given the high demand, Nintendo could have priced the machine at $50 higher than the $250. She said, “There was definitely that possibility. There are so many people who are very much liking the system and while the price that it’s at is very much mass market we probably could have folded at a higher price but I think that it was always Nintendo’s intent to make it a product that is appealing to the mass market.”

This week’s Game Theory Podcast – co-hosted by Next Generation’s editor-in-chief Colin Campbell and PC Gamer columnist Gary Whitta - also looks at the Game Media Awards, Uwe Boll’s 9/11 ‘joke’, core console systems, online gaming in China and the Guitar Hero franchise.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------- Let's assume this article is accurate.

Vgcharts has

Wii:  2.62 in the Americas. 2.62>2.5 million

Others: 1.82 million..hmm article estimates 2.0 million

Unmentioned: Japan - Wii should cross 2.0 million in M-Create officially in the week ending the 8th.  Add in another half week...and Wii is probably at 2.10 million in Japan.

So next gen says: Wii - 6.4-6.8 million (accounting for the "above" 2.5 million, and Japan w/ the half week)

VG Charts says...6.58 million..although I think at the moment Japan is a touch too high and Europe is a touch too low (only ~3-4% off or less in worldwide total though)

People are difficult to govern because they have too much knowledge.

When there are more laws, there are more criminals.

- Lao Tzu

Around the Network

So in other words, the numbers in VGCharts are very accurate ;)

Gesta Non Verba

Nocturnal is helping companies get cheaper game ratings in Australia:

Game Assessment website

Wii code: 2263 4706 2910 1099

shams said:
So in other words, the numbers in VGCharts are very accurate ;)

Yes, nice to hear

And we need more types of smilies...

Buy it and pray to the gods of Sigs: Naznatips!

Yay for Vgcharts!, so is there any actual ramifications for the Wii if throughout its entire lifetime(you know...uhhh.. in a machine way) it continues to sell out? I mean is there any way a shameless Sony fanboy like myself could twist that, because its eluding me.

I have this vision of Nintendo executives in a continual state of supreme bliss over how this situation is unfolding. 

I'm not sure how you could spin it in Sony's favor. Maybe make fun of Nintendo for not being able to produce 5M units (DS and Wii) per month.

Nintendo has the lamest manufacturing... Sony was easily able to manufacture enough PS3s for everyone that wants one.

Well I tried...

Around the Network

So did Perrin say it's 2.5 million + 2.0 million? Or is that number from next-gen.biz? Gonna check the podcast now... Well, she didn't say it. So forget the numbers.

Hardcore gaming is a bubble economy blown up by Microsoft's $7 $6 billion losses.

I don't know if I can trust Kaplan, she's just like Sony and MS PR.

I see money fights happening in the halls of Nintendo, Reggie throwing wads of hundred dollar bills at people

Predictions:Sales of Wii Fit will surpass the combined sales of the Grand Theft Auto franchiseLifetime sales of Wii will surpass the combined sales of the entire Playstation family of consoles by 12/31/2015 Wii hardware sales will surpass the total hardware sales of the PS2 by 12/31/2010 Wii will have 50% marketshare or more by the end of 2008 (I was wrong!!  It was a little over 48% only)Wii will surpass 45 Million in lifetime sales by the end of 2008 (I was wrong!!  Nintendo Financials showed it fell slightly short of 45 million shipped by end of 2008)Wii will surpass 80 Million in lifetime sales by the end of 2009 (I was wrong!! Wii didn't even get to 70 Million)

Avinash_Tyagi said:
I see money fights happening in the halls of Nintendo, Reggie throwing wads of hundred dollar bills at people

As a NTDOY shareholder, I can assure you there are no fights in that hallway.

I see Reggie checking vgchartz first thing every morning because he never has a clue how many Wiis the guys in Kyoto have sent him.

Hardcore gaming is a bubble economy blown up by Microsoft's $7 $6 billion losses.