By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Activision may close PlayStation Network Black Ops servers

huaxiong90 said:
mantlepiecek said:

If you are too early in the game, then the black phantoms won't be that much of a problem. But, they will once you reach the appropriate level/archstone. I have never faced any problems from black phantoms in the stonefag tunnel in my two playthroughs.

But if you stay in soul form, then there's nothing they can do. 

Those guys were easy.

But my worry is for super-experienced players to come in and take me down just like that.

Well there's a level limit to the black phantoms, but many are very experienced in becoming a black phantom that they start a new game and a character and build themselves to suit a black phantom. I had a guy defeat three of us random co-ops once.

Also, have you played the 4th and the 5th archstone yet? Shrine of storms and the valley of poison or whatever its called? 

Around the Network
LivingMetal said:
homer said:
AussieGecko said:
homer said:

short answer: neither

just putting a worse case scenario out there. If they are willing to risk cutting of servers of 9million people I am sure they are willing to risk loss of 9 million others.

worst case scenario: Meteor collides with earth killing all life.

best case scenario: Jesus comes back

most likely scenario: Life continues as it always has and CoD keeps its multiplayer.

So full of win.

"UPDATE: Titan Reviews got in contact with Activision through its customer services, and was told that Activision does not have any plans to shut down the PlayStation 3 servers for Black Ops. "We are sorry for any inconvenience or unnecessary worries this may have caused, but as of now, there are absolutely no plans for the servers to be taken down," the response read."

http://gamrfeed.vgchartz.com/story/83595/update-activision-might-be-shutting-down-black-ops-server-on-ps3/

mantlepiecek said:
huaxiong90 said:
mantlepiecek said:

If you are too early in the game, then the black phantoms won't be that much of a problem. But, they will once you reach the appropriate level/archstone. I have never faced any problems from black phantoms in the stonefag tunnel in my two playthroughs.

But if you stay in soul form, then there's nothing they can do. 

Those guys were easy.

But my worry is for super-experienced players to come in and take me down just like that.

Well there's a level limit to the black phantoms, but many are very experienced in becoming a black phantom that they start a new game and a character and build themselves to suit a black phantom. I had a guy defeat three of us random co-ops once.

Also, have you played the 4th and the 5th archstone yet? Shrine of storms and the valley of poison or whatever its called? 

No. I did play the third one, though.

Rockstar: Announce Bully 2 already and make gamers proud!

Kojima: Come out with Project S already!

welshbloke said:

Very bad news for Sony if this even has a hint of becoming reality. This would send a huge message of lack of confidence if a developer was willing to take this form of hit. The obvious winners here are the PC and 360 platforms who will see a marked increase in sales.

Will this force an early exit of the PS3 and a new model? Will this force PSN to a paid model to placate Activision? Will they be able to fix this issue?

Whatever happens the loss of the master keys seems impossible to reverse. If this truly is impossible to reverse then I can only see this getting worse for Sony. At this moment in time this sounds like a rant but add notch to the end of Free PSN as Activision are coming and they want more money.

You are in deep delusion if you think this has even 0.001%  chance of happening. Oh, and funny you mention PC, where every online shooter gets hacked to death

pizzahut451 said:
welshbloke said:

Very bad news for Sony if this even has a hint of becoming reality. This would send a huge message of lack of confidence if a developer was willing to take this form of hit. The obvious winners here are the PC and 360 platforms who will see a marked increase in sales.

Will this force an early exit of the PS3 and a new model? Will this force PSN to a paid model to placate Activision? Will they be able to fix this issue?

Whatever happens the loss of the master keys seems impossible to reverse. If this truly is impossible to reverse then I can only see this getting worse for Sony. At this moment in time this sounds like a rant but add notch to the end of Free PSN as Activision are coming and they want more money.

You are in deep delusion if you think this has even 0.001%  chance of happening. Oh, and funny you mention PC, where every online shooter gets hacked to death

I thought people hacked on 360 version too?  I hear people who play 360 complaining about aim bots and shit like that.  And I know for 100% certainty people cheat with their controllers as they have stuff allowing for a single shot gun to be fully automatic with no kick.

Money can't buy happiness. Just video games, which make me happy.

Around the Network
Mordred11 said:

It will never happen.BO is selling god-like on the PS3,and with the upcoming DLCs,I highly doubt they will throw that big potential amount of money out of the window.

They'll shut down servers 1 week after the dlc releases. Then still keep it in the PSn store, lol.

AussieGecko said:

:O wow this hacking thing is reallllly bad for sonys image.

Wait what? What's the link between this and the hacking and Sony image? -_- (without even mentioning that Activision announced this was total bullshit)

lol @ people who actually take the threat seriously.

"Dr. Tenma, according to you, lives are equal. That's why I live today. But you must have realised it by now...the only thing people are equal in is death"---Johann Liebert (MONSTER)

"WAR is a racket. It always has been.

It is possibly the oldest, easily the most profitable, surely the most vicious. It is the only one international in scope. It is the only one in which the profits are reckoned in dollars and the losses in lives"---Maj. Gen. Smedley Butler

Wow there are some reactions

http://www.youtube.com/watch?annotation_id=annotation_874881&v=wXzp3Ru8VQY&feature=iv#t=11.6s

It would never happen, loads of PC games of the year have been rife with hackers for months until updates have been released and then the cycle starts again of the hackers finding exploits.  The only problem with these hackers is the effect on the Cod community on PS3.  I've seen it on every PC shooter I've ever played online, once hacks hit a game the community turn on anyone under suspicion, this results in the great players getting insulted and accused even more than usual. 

This is as much Sony's problem as Activision's, at the end of the day Activision were reliant upon the security of PSN for hack prevention.  My guess is Actvision will tag on some anti cheat protection while Sony work to make PSN secure from the hackers.

Don't be under any illusions, this is a Sony problem first and foremost, Cod was just chosen as the primary target for hackers being the most popular game on the console.