By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - 'Trash Talk' - Wii Shovelware vs the best of PS3 and XBox

Fail.

Use Gamerankings.com.

The VGC score database is heavily manipulated in favor of certain systems. We've gone over this alot of times.

Back from the dead, I'm afraid.

Around the Network

Geez, give the guy a break. Even if the methodology is questionable, the point he is trying to make is still an interesting one. He may not have been aware how skewed the ratings on this database are.

Hates Nomura.

Tagged: GooseGaws - <--- Has better taste in games than you.

Also, if you use gamerankings.com for the top 200 games of each system, the lowest ranked game for each system (including PSN, XBLA, and VC titles):

Xbox 360: Crystal Quest (65.4%) - 8,680 Reviews, 200+ ranked titles
Wii: Far Cry Vengance (36.9%) - 3,117 Reviews, only 117 ranked titles
Playstation 3: Mobile Suit Gundam: Crossfire (35.3%) - 2,645 Reviews, only 86 ranked titles.

So as you can see here, yet again, the charts are vastly different from legitimate sources. I used Gamerankings.com, and their system using only titles reviewed by 10+ sources to filter out the ultra-small games that might have over-inflated scores. This chart is heavily, heavily skewed in the X360s favor.

After next week you'll be able to add Crazy Climber Wii to the list.

PSN - hanafuda

I think there'll be even more trash on the wii, as developers are having to learn how to make new types of games, seemingly unable to tell when somthing's working, and when it's not. Also, there's an assumption that the wii's userbase is less discerning, and more likely to buy rubbish.

Nintendo should crack down on it for the sake of consumres, but probably dares not alientate 3rd parties after the experience of the gc and n64.

Around the Network

What the actual benefit of shovelware is, that if a system has has decent amount of high-profile A titles and a load of shovelware, which fits the genres of the A titles, the high profile titles work as system sellers and get people to buy the system, while people see the shovelware titles as something they might buy after finishing the "system seller X". It doesn't really matter if the games beyond the one title you're interested in are high quality or not, as long as you see a decent amount of games that you might be interested in to justify your purchase.
The shovelware usually doesn't live up to expectations, but since the main interest was on "game X" and it propably was what expected, it doesn't matter that much, there will be titles that interest you anyway. And besides, some of the shovelware may actually be what you like and offer you playing until the next A title you like arrives.
Then there's the hardcore crowd, who usually is very well aware of the games quality and is the title something you like. They don't buy the shovelware (atleast not that much as others), but the shovelware still has few games that interest the hardcore.

Ei Kiinasti.

Eikä Japanisti.

Vaan pannaan jalalla koreasti.

Nintendo games sell only on Nintendo system.

I saw a woman planning to purchase a copy of Looney Tunes: Acme Arsenal, and I just had to advise her against it. She ultimately chose not to buy it.

Score one against crappy games!

Hates Nomura.

Shovelware is never, ever a bad thing. Developers that make it (D3 comes to mind) rarely can afford bigger-budget titles.

Besides, every so often, you get some fantastic shovelware like Earth Defence Force 2017 on X360. Definately worth wading through the crap.

IMO, with the dev costs being significantly lower than the X360/PS3, I would also agree that the Wii will get the most shovelware, since development times shouldn't take an incredibly long time to release alot of crap (Dancing with the Stars comes to mind).

mrstickball said:
Shovelware is never, ever a bad thing. Developers that make it (D3 comes to mind) rarely can afford bigger-budget titles.

Besides, every so often, you get some fantastic shovelware like Earth Defence Force 2017 on X360. Definately worth wading through the crap.

IMO, with the dev costs being significantly lower than the X360/PS3, I would also agree that the Wii will get the most shovelware, since development times shouldn't take an incredibly long time to release alot of crap (Dancing with the Stars comes to mind).

mrstickball, bdbdbd, and a couple of others I think, saw my point that I was trying to make.  Namely, while it sounds real bad to get a lot of shovelware on your system, as long as it doesn't overwhelm so much that the system becomes know for it, it's a very good thing.  More quirky variations, small developers can make money.  But especially good moneywise for the company that makes the console, whether Sony with PS2 and its 1000+ more games than the XBox or GC, or now the Wii, which seems to be doing the same in terms of the number of games.  (I do admit it is very early in this generation.)

While I did use VGChartz rankings for ease of putting it together, I do realize that the rankings are a bit manipulated.  Especially after seeing that X360 Simpson's with 10 votes was the highest rated game at 10.0.   Which is why for the high rank games, I went with 20+ votes.  Somehow I don't feel that Resistance: Fall of Man, with 822 votes saying it is a better than average game, has had its ranking manipulated and in reality is one of the worse PS3 games. 

In fact, which of the 13 games that I listed for PS3, does gamerankings or metacritic have listed as crappy/don't buy games?  And the same is true for the X360 games that VG has as the highest ranking with 20+ votes, namely:

Elder Scroll Oblivion       
Gears of War       
Eternal Sonata        
Guitar Hero 3        
Bioshock          
Mass Effect          
Forza Motorsport        
Beautiful Katamari         
Need for Speed:ProStreet      

Now Halo3 I mentioned because of its large number of sales.          

Of course the opposite claim could be made.  Namely that many of the Wii games are NOT shovelware, but should be ranked higher here to match the other site's rankings.   But considering that Looney Tunes: Acme Arsenal for the Wii with 3 votes is ranked 7.67, I sort of doubt this arguement.

Torturing the numbers.  Hear them scream.

renar said:

Of course the opposite claim could be made. Namely that many of the Wii games are NOT shovelware, but should be ranked higher here to match the other site's rankings. But considering that Looney Tunes: Acme Arsenal for the Wii with 3 votes is ranked 7.67, I sort of doubt this arguement.

WHAT?!

Oh, and... the 360 version is rated even higher?!

*dies a little inside* 

Hates Nomura.