By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - General Discussion - Oh my god, the selective service system sent me a registration letter

PhoenixKing said:

Why?! I have a heart condition. I'm afraid of dying if I get registered into the military...

Apparently women are completely excluded! What the hell is this? This goes against the 14th amendment! Women should be forced to do so if men are. Why does America hate men so much?

First off, take a deep breath and remember that this is basically just a formality. 

Feeling better?  Okay, now let's address you personally.  If your heart condition makes you unfit to serve, you are probably not going to get drafted, even if the draft is somehow reinstated (highly unlikely) and your draft number comes up (which may not happen anyways).  Long story short, this is not something you should be getting worked up over.

Finally, women are excluded because women were not allowed to serve the last time that the draft was active.  At that time, any legal challenge would almost certainly have met the required constitutional test of intermediate scrutiny.  In light of changing times, and the Virginia Military Academy case in particular, a similar attempt to exclude women in the modern age stands a smaller chance of success.  But until the (highly unlikely) event of the draft being reinstated occurs, the issue is legally moot.

To summarize; you're not going to get drafted, but if you are, women are probably going to as well.  But if you insist on aggravating your heart condition over a non-occurence...

Around the Network

If your a male above the age of 18 legally living in the USA you have to register with selective service.  Now all that means is in the unlikely event that there is a draft (aka the USA gets in a big big war) you have a very slight chance of getting picked to join at which point you would have to serve in the military for certain amount of time.

dsister said:

I've met with a recruiter and have been deemed "unfit for duty" :(. But even I still had to register.

I told you not to wear a dress to the physical!

PhoenixKing said:
noname2200 said:
PhoenixKing said:

It says I've been registered?! What the hell is this?

Can anyone please tell me how to get out of this? I don't want to be forced into either going to jail or killing people once a draft comes in!

I think I'm seriously freaking out here...

I tried going on the website but its vague and all the FAQ seems to say is "You have to do it" like you don't have a choice.

Where do I go to get out of this? I don't want any possibility of me joining the military!

Dude, chill.  If you're an American male over 18, you MUST register by law, but the draft hasn't been activated for decades now, and most likely won't during your eligible period.  So just relax.

Why?! I have a heart condition. I'm afraid of dying if I get registered into the military...

Apparently women are completely excluded! What the hell is this? This goes against the 14th amendment! Women should be forced to do so if men are. Why does America hate men so much?

There you go.  Now you know you won't ever have to serve in the military.  Even if they do pick your name in an unlikely draft they will deem you unfit for duty.

How do I send my medical records to the military? I want ZERO possibility of a mix-up if I somehow do get drafted because North Korea decides t start a civil war with South Korea.

Around the Network

Thank god i'm an only son :)

If I get anythingfrom them the first thing I do is trash it. I could care less about it.

yo_john117 said:
dsister said:

I've met with a recruiter and have been deemed "unfit for duty" :(. But even I still had to register.

I told you not to wear a dress to the physical!

I was hoping that the dress would distract from the fact that I was missing a quarter of a finger. It did, but caused different problems v_v

Sig thanks to Saber! :D 

mrstickball said:

Its a requirement to register, regardless.

I wouldn't worry about getting drafted. Unlikely to happen.

Besides, why are you so worried about joining the military? Too worried you may have to defend America?

Because S.Korea, Vietnam, Iraq, Iraq again and Afghanistan have all been directly defending America right? Americas military is used for more than defence - it's used for foreign policy.

Edit: Out of interest, I know one can be a conscientious objector and not be forced into war (meeting certain tests to show you're not basically lying), can you also object to registering with the selective service?

PhoenixKing said:

How do I send my medical records to the military? I want ZERO possibility of a mix-up if I somehow do get drafted because North Korea decides t start a civil war with South Korea.

I think your worrying about something insignificant.

If anyone ever gets drafted again, they will get a full physical checkup, and background on their medical conditions. There is no way you'd ever be allowed within 100 feet of a base, as you'd be a liability to them due to the medical issues.

Back from the dead, I'm afraid.

PhoenixKing said:
mrstickball said:

Its a requirement to register, regardless.

I wouldn't worry about getting drafted. Unlikely to happen.

Besides, why are you so worried about joining the military? Too worried you may have to defend America?

There is no honor in death. I don't believe in any of this patriotic 'defending America' BS. Iraq wasn't for defending America, the military ended-up raping 13 year old girls in torture cells within that country (Look-up Abu Graib), and these actions were ordered under Defense Secrutary Rumsfeld. The more you know, huh?

Not only that, but I've been reading books about war and genocide for college and some of the material absolutely disgusts me. Rape motels, accidentally bombing innocent villages, and accidentally shooting children that are hiding in fear.

I never want to see war in my life. Sorry for being a Pacifist.

Wow... more conspiracy theory stuff.  Question everything you read/hear, not just the stuff you don't agree with.  Just because you don't believe in the Iraq war doesn't mean all that bad stuff they publish about it is true and all the good stuff is false.  Some of it may be true, some of it is probably blown way out of proportion, etc.  People write stuff to sell copies and the more conflicting or terrible sounding the better it sells.