By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Is Epic Mickey a lesson to third parties?

@degausser  I couldnt agree more!! on topic the Conduit is a game that I had seen alot of ads for but bombed regardless. Look, the Wii does better with certain kind of games than the HDs do, and vice-versa. FPSs HD>>>>Wii  platformers starring a family friendly mascot Wii>>>>HD, its not a mystery, if the audience is there itll sell

Around the Network
oniyide said:

@degausser  I couldnt agree more!! on topic the Conduit is a game that I had seen alot of ads for but bombed regardless. Look, the Wii does better with certain kind of games than the HDs do, and vice-versa. FPSs HD>>>>Wii  platformers starring a family friendly mascot Wii>>>>HD, its not a mystery, if the audience is there itll sell

The Conduit got a sequel, suggesting that it didn't bomb from the publisher's perspective.  This suggests its sales are higher than tracked on this site, or that the cost of development wasn't particulalry close to that of a blockbuster HD game (so not meeting all the stipulated criteria).

Declan said:
Torillian said:
thekitchensink said:
Torillian said:

Could be a lesson about all those things, or it could just be a lesson that when you base a video game off one of the most popular cartoon characters and most well known IPs of all time it's likely to do well unless you totally fuck it up, which isn't really a lesson.

I understand what you're saying, but if a licensed game sucks, it still won't sell.  The ones that have decent sales are the ones that are decent games, like the Simpsons Game, the Lord of the Rings games, Goldeneye (the new one and the original).  The ones that well and truly suck, or are just 'ok' don't sell as well, such as Blood Stone.

Epic Mickey is certainly helped by the second letter of its name, but it is also selling well because it has two things: advertising and quality.

Well yeah if a licensed game sucks it won't do well, that's the "don't totally fuck it up" part.  Advertising and Quality are helping it to achieve the impressive sales it's getting, but talking as though every Wii Third Party game could be a success if only it had advertising and was quality like Epic Mickey is silly because it ignores a huge reason that Epic Mickey is selling which is the brand name.

You may be right, but can you give examples of third party games that meet all the criteria set out in the OP and which have bombed regardless?

Madworld and Conduit come to mind, but then we'd have to define "bomb" which is all based on the expectations set by genre and the publisher so it's kind of a weak terminology.  I'm just noting that Epic Mickey isn't doing millions solely because it's a good platformer that got advertising, and we can't separate the brand name from the quality and advertising until we have other examples.  Can't just assume those are the most important factors based solely off Epic Mickey.

^^^ here we go again. "waaah, you made that game for this system but why not mine??" no offense but some of y'all sound like jealous kids

@Declan  just cause it got a sequel doesnt mean it did well. less than half a mil with a install base like Wii, a FPS that is supposedly a genre that is "better" on Wii because of "superior" control?? that is nothing to be proud of. ive seen FPSs on PS3 with worst reviews and little advertisement do better

AAA. game...Quality...And it has an 72 on metacritic... They just made a Disney game for the audience who wants it.   They just could made a Mickey Party game and it would also pass 1-2 million sales;.

The top ten Third Party games (sales wise) on Wii are not known for their quality..  I doubt it is sending the right message to the devs...but who am I..

Around the Network

There is no lesson to be learned. The reason why wii doesn't get big budget 3rd party games is because they don't want to make wii games. They see the wii's demographics and say they only see family games. Which they dpn't want to make. When that problem is solved that's when wii will get AAA 3rd party games

Tag:I'm not bias towards Nintendo. You just think that way (Admin note - it's "biased".  Not "bias")
(killeryoshis note - Who put that there ?)
Switch is 9th generation. Everyone else is playing on last gen systems! UPDATE: This is no longer true

Biggest pikmin fan on VGchartz I won from a voting poll
I am not a nerd. I am enthusiast.  EN-THU-SI-AST!
Do Not Click here or else I will call on the eye of shinning justice on you. 

Lostplanet22 said:

AAA. game...Quality...And it has an 72 on metacritic... They just made a Disney game for the audience who wants it.   They just could made a Mickey Party game and it would also pass 1-2 million sales;.

The top ten Third Party games (sales wise) on Wii are not known for their quality..  I doubt it is sending the right message to the devs...but who am I..

72? I ordered the damn game...  :/

RolStoppable said:
oniyide said:

^^^ here we go again. "waaah, you made that game for this system but why not mine??" no offense but some of y'all sound like jealous kids

I guess you can offer a better explanation why a third party ports a HD game to the PSP, but not the Wii, in the year 2010. And remember, this is about a game that gets its vast majority of sales in regions outside of Japan.

Because Ninty-fans would have said that they don't want it because they have teh bestest racer evahh..?

Doesn't mean it is a bad game ofcourse X_X... But to call the game an AAA game or a game that should be the example for third parties is going a bit overboard;..Well better than another dance/Fit/party game that is for sure..