By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - "Have you learned anything in ten years?" CMU rehosts Geohot's PS3 softmod

Looks like Sony's lawsuit thuggery isn't going to get too far with wider free speech / digital rights / fair use proponents.  Don't be surprised if the EFF takes the case and this goes down just like their rootkit snafu a few years back, but in the meantime it seems academia is making a promising stand.

http://www.cs.cmu.edu/~dst/GeoHot/

January 11, 2011:

Our friends at Sony are having another bad day: i.e., doing something breathtakingly stupid, presumably because they don't know any better. This time they're suing George Hotz for publishing PS3 jailbreak information, as reported by EnGadget and Attack of the Fan Boy. Hotz's jailbreak allows PS3 owners to run the software of their choice on a machine they have legally purchased. His site is geohot.com.

Free speech (and free computing) rights exist only for those determined to exercise them. Trying to suppress those rights in the Internet age is like spitting in the wind.

We will help our friends at Sony understand this by mirroring the geohot jailbreak files at Carnegie Mellon.

GeoHot Mirror

Click here for usage instructions.

Note to Sony lawyers: no doubt you're eager to rack up another billable hour by sending legal threats to me and my university. Before you go down that unhappy road, check out what happened the last time a large corporation tried to stop the mirroring of technical information here: The Gallery of CSS Descramblers. Have you learned anything in ten years?

David S. TouretzkyResearch Professor of Computer Science
Carnegie Mellon University
Pittsburgh, PA 15213

Last modified: Wed Jan 12 09:17:46 EST 2011

Around the Network

I'm pretty sure the lawsuit is more of a symbolic gesture. Sony knows that the info is out there and they can't stop it. 

ǝןdɯıs ʇı dǝǝʞ oʇ ǝʞıן ı ʍouʞ noʎ 

Ask me about being an elitist jerk

Time for hype

Wow, I love the usage of "freedom of speech" when it's the other guy getting screwed over.

PS One/2/p/3slim/Vita owner. I survived the Apocalyps3/Collaps3 and all I got was this lousy signature.

Xbox One: What are you doing Dave?

I honestly think we have way too many threads on this, mods should start doing locks cuz this is getting rediculous

In-Kat-We-Trust Brigade!

"This world is Merciless, and it's also very beautiful"

For All News/Info related to the PlayStation Vita, Come and join us in the Official PSV Thread!

Ajescent said:

Wow, I love the usage of "freedom of speech" when it's the other guy getting screwed over.

What guy's getting screwed over exactly?  I'm not following?

Around the Network

Wow and he is a professor? I'm not talking about sharing it, but the way he express himself.

leatherhat said:

I'm pretty sure the lawsuit is more of a symbolic gesture. Sony knows that the info is out there and they can't stop it. 

Isn't this worse, after losing the practical part, to fail at the ideological one as well?

alekth said:
leatherhat said:

Isn't this worse, after losing the practical part, to fail at the ideological one as well?

Not really- its gonna fuck Geohots life up for quite a bit which will probably make sony execs smile

ǝןdɯıs ʇı dǝǝʞ oʇ ǝʞıן ı ʍouʞ noʎ 

Ask me about being an elitist jerk

Time for hype

M.U.G.E.N said:

I honestly think we have way too many threads on this, mods should start doing locks cuz this is getting rediculous

Okay, if mods want to lock that's cool, I reposted the OP in the main "Sony suing" thread.  Probably more relevant there.

leatherhat said:

I'm no lawman, but can't you counter sue for moral prejudice, slander, loss of reputation and even loss of health due to the lawsuit  if it is ruled to be unfounded or ultimately ruled innocent? This is a multinational corporation suing an individual, not an other company, there are physical repercution on a human person.

OoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoO