By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - 2010 Hardware Sales

Scoobes said:

I'm shocked that PS3 was ahead of 360 after this holiday season. I thought Kinect bundles would push it slightly above PS3, even with the PS3 lead earlier in the year. Wii still going strong and PS2 still somehow managing 4 million in its 10th year is extraordinary.

Good stuff.

You got it completely backward.

They removed backward compatibility in the first place to cut production cost of PS3.

Basically, they split 1 product (that they promised) into 2 and sell them individually.

Around the Network
Galaki said:
Scoobes said:

I'm shocked that PS3 was ahead of 360 after this holiday season. I thought Kinect bundles would push it slightly above PS3, even with the PS3 lead earlier in the year. Wii still going strong and PS2 still somehow managing 4 million in its 10th year is extraordinary.

Good stuff.

They removed backward compatibility in the first place to cut production cost of PS3.

Basically, they split 1 product (that they promised) into 2 and sell them individually.

If BC wasn't taken out, PS3 would be way behind, it was too expensive and leaving the price that high would have been suicide. People bitch about it way too much, it helped keep sony in the game.

Kenology said:

Even with Japan in Sony's corner I would've expected the 360 to outsell the PS3 the way things were going this holiday season.

All that - Slim launch, temporary clearance sale, Kinect - and the XBox360 is still in third place.

Your argumentation is flawed. If you use the slim launch etc as an argument that MS is trying to increase sales (which is offcourse a valid point) then you should view sales from that point in time. These numbers are great and very interesting, but they are for the whole year. So while the effect of the slim launch etc is evident, you still shouldnt compare it with ps3 sales. If you want the impact of a year of sales I suggest you wait until the sales report of august 2011 comes out and then compare sales from august 2010 until august 2011.

PS2 is hugely undertracked in VGC.

July to September quarter it had 1,5M shipments

PROUD MEMBER OF THE PSP RPG FAN CLUB

Galaki said:
Scoobes said:

Good stuff.

Huh? I think you quoted the wrong post. I didn't mention anything about BC.

Around the Network
Metsadah said:
Kenology said:

Even with Japan in Sony's corner I would've expected the 360 to outsell the PS3 the way things were going this holiday season.

All that - Slim launch, temporary clearance sale, Kinect - and the XBox360 is still in third place.

Your argumentation is flawed. If you use the slim launch etc as an argument that MS is trying to increase sales (which is offcourse a valid point) then you should view sales from that point in time. These numbers are great and very interesting, but they are for the whole year. So while the effect of the slim launch etc is evident, you still shouldnt compare it with ps3 sales. If you want the impact of a year of sales I suggest you wait until the sales report of august 2011 comes out and then compare sales from august 2010 until august 2011.

That doesn't make any sense to me whatsoever.

My YTD 2010 comparison is valid, hence the numbers in the OP.

Galaki said:
Scoobes said:

Good stuff.

Still has PS One compatability though (and, besides, most PS3 owners probably have a PS2 handy, at least those that I know). Can you play all your N64 games on your Wii?

For Nintendo and Sony the most important numbers are...

VGChartz Hardware data for the period 04th Apr 2010 to 01st Jan 2011:

Console Wii PS3 PSP DS PS2
Total

Can Nintendo and Sony meet predictions by March 31th?

PS3 15M -  3.9 million to go.

And others? Can someone remebers the predictions numbers.

ethomaz said:

Total

Wii = 17.5M - 2.6 million to go.

Kenology said:
ethomaz said:

Total

Wii = 17.5M - 2.6 million to go.

Cool. Looks like Nintendo will be over it prediction with Wii and Sony will be match (shipped numbers) with PS3.