By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Wii motion control is not what it is cracked up to be!

I think the motion controls work fine. the problem is thats all wii has to offer, as well as a cheap price tag. Its a cheap gimmick with its only good games coming from nintendo. it has little to no third party support.

Around the Network
Foetoid said:
Lol. The games included in Wii Sports aren't meant to be realistic. Tennis is simply backhand/forearm, bowling gives you barely any spin control, golf is fairly good, baseball is as useless as tits on a bull and boxing is the most gimmicky of them all. They are meant to be additive family/party fun, not retarded boring simulation like GT5

Why do people do this to their posts? They're on a roll, making some sense, and then they just can't resist that urge to bash a competing console or title. Why can't someone enjoy Wii Sports AND GT5? I don't plan to get a PS3 any time soon, but I've gotten at least 100 hours of enjoyment out of GT4 and my Logitech Driving Force Pro.

stof said:
TWRoO said:
stof said:
I still can't figure out Wii boxing. Even in the training. No matter what I do, I just keep hitting that poor trainer in the face!

Well that is a tough one because you can aim punches by either leaning or by puching in a different direction... I usually hit him 6 or 7 times in a session.

I DO! I lean! I aim! I take a cab to the next town over! And I just keep punching him in the face! Different fists, different swings! Why the hell does that guy keep training me! I'm about to hospitalize him!

Best "Wii Sports" post ever...

By me:

Made with Blender + LuxRender
"Since you can´t understand ... there is no point to taking you seriously."

whew... I thought I was gonna have to flame you after reading your subject line.. god post none the less

psn- tokila

add me, the more the merrier.

stof said:
TWRoO said:
stof said:
I still can't figure out Wii boxing. Even in the training. No matter what I do, I just keep hitting that poor trainer in the face!

Well that is a tough one because you can aim punches by either leaning or by puching in a different direction... I usually hit him 6 or 7 times in a session.

I DO! I lean! I aim! I take a cab to the next town over! And I just keep punching him in the face! Different fists, different swings! Why the hell does that guy keep training me! I'm about to hospitalize him!

Heheh, i've noticed your problem as well, stof, I've had a similar issue, but i think I've been managing to work it out. i think part of your problem may be that you're leaning with yoru body, but you're actually keeping the controllers still. It feels like you should be doing something, but there's really nothign happening for the Wiimotes to pick up.

Also, I've found the training modes for wii boxing to be utterly ridiculous, just create a new Mii and play through teh actual boxing game.

The real trick to figuring out wii boxing is that all the motion is done not by moving the wiimote and nuchuck, but by ROTATING them. Rotating left and right move yoru boxing gloves in front of you and out to the side, rotating up and down move your gloves to guard your head or stomach, and if you rotate the nunchuck and wiimote the same way that will make yoru character move. So moving the wiimote and nunchuck up moves yoru character back, down moves them forward, left moves yoru character to the left and right to the right. 

I'm still trying to figure out all the subteties to the actual punching process. A lot of your aiming is actually done based on how your character is leaning. if you are leaning back, the punches you throw will be higher, focusing more towards the head, if you leaning forward, you'll throw lower punches towards the stomach. same thing is true for left and right, if you're leaning to the left, then your right hand will be more closely lined up to punch, wheras your left hand won't really be able to hit anything unless you get out of the lean.

The one biggest thing to understand about wii boxing is that it doesn't matter how many times you punch the other guy, but how steadily you string together a rapid series of solid punches on your opponent. If you manage to land 4 - 5 solid blows in a row, you'll often take down your opponent in a way that they wont stand back up from, but if you make 10 solid punches that are broken up and intermitent, you could end up with your opponent STILL standing, adn even when you do get them down, it will be unlikely that they will stay down.

Seppukuties is like LBP Lite, on crack. Play it already!

Currently wrapped up in: Half Life, Portal, and User Created Source Mods
Games I want: (Wii)Mario Kart, Okami, Bully, Conduit,  No More Heroes 2 (GC) Eternal Darkness, Killer7, (PS2) Ico, God of War1&2, Legacy of Kain: SR2&Defiance

My Prediction: Wii will be achieve 48% market share by the end of 2008, and will achieve 50% by the end of june of 09. Prediction Failed.

<- Click to see more of her

Around the Network

The only arcade game I've ever played with motion controls was a rail shooter called Police 9-1-1. It had a sensor bar situated above the player that would respond to your movement so you could literally dodge bullets. It's my favourite rail shooter of all time.

It's also a monster workout if you play it too much. All that ducking and leaning is murder on your thighs. :)

"The worst part about these reviews is they are [subjective]--and their scores often depend on how drunk you got the media at a Street Fighter event."  — Mona Hamilton, Capcom Senior VP of Marketing
*Image indefinitely borrowed from BrainBoxLtd without his consent.

stof said:
TWRoO said:
stof said:

Come on stof, just admit you hit him on purpose because it just feels soooooooooo good! Actually, I have the same experience as you with the controls, I end up hitting the trainer regularly as well. So I just save the poor guy by not practicing at all!

Foetoid said:
Lol. The games included in Wii Sports aren't meant to be realistic. Tennis is simply backhand/forearm, bowling gives you barely any spin control, golf is fairly good, baseball is as useless as tits on a bull and boxing is the most gimmicky of them all. They are meant to be additive family/party fun, not retarded boring simulation like GT5

I just noticed this post... it is quite wrong what you said. In tennis you can of course aim left/right by timing [like in real life] ie with a forehand shot, swinging later results in aiming to the right, earlier and it will go left.... which is how it works in real tennis. It is also possible to perform high and low shots [thus determine how deep your shot lands] by swinging upward or downward.... i have not mastered spin yet but i believe that is possible too. Believe me bowling has excellent spin controls... if you know what you are doing you can do some cool things... It may be you don't get it because you always throw really fast, or let go too late, because both decrease the effect of spin. If you spin it a lot, but throw fast it will go in a straight line till it slows down enough to curl [good when on the training where you have to pass 3 barriers before curling left/right]... if you let go really late the ball is halfway to the end before it touches the alley, so not enough time to curl. IF however you wsnt a nice smooth curve, thow it slower. (All the above also depend on how much you curl it too) Boxing i could not disagree more on, as i have stated it in fact works incredibly well, but takes time to get used to. Basball batting is the only one of the 5 that is in any way simple, as it is only about the timing. [at least i certainly can't tell the difference when i try to swing low or high] pitching I think is more complex, because i think [dont hold me on this] you can pitch to the left/right [i am not talking about pressing B/A] like the computer does when pitching to you...but i haven't figured it out yet if it is possible.

TWRoO said: 

because i think [dont hold me on this] you can pitch to the left/right [i am not talking about pressing B/A] like the computer does when pitching to you...but i haven't figured it out yet if it is possible.

To pitch to the left/right/high/low, all you have to do is press the direction on the D-Pad. You will feel the remote vibrate a little each time you press a direction. The more times you press it, the more the ball will travel in that direction.
Also, to the people that were complaining about Wii Golf not controlling well, I agree. Buy "Super Swing Golf" or now "Super Swing Golf 2", and you can have a much more enjoyable golfing experience.

Add me on Xbox Live: TopCat8

^ahh.... i never thought of that (was it in the instructions?)

It has been such a chore tying to get a strikeout against the computer (i am at about 1200 on the skill chart and it is tough to get higher)