By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Thoughts on the quality and sales of Wii multiplat games.

I realized something about multiplat games on the Wii.

Of course, we've come to expect games with much worse graphics and badly-implemented waggle.  Multiplat Wii games are generally nowhere near as good as 360/PS3 games.

But that's not a fair comparison IMO--almost all of these games are designed for the PS360 first.  These games are usually designed for next-gen graphics and then corners are cut to make some extra cash on Wii.  My question is: what would this look like if more games designed around the Wii went multiplat?  The only example I can think of is Rayman Raving Rabbids (the first one) which released on the 360 soon after the Wii.  It was a terrible game, and it bombed hard.  Why?  Because it didn't play to the platform's strengths (it was built around good use of motion-sensing, not good graphics).

So, relating back to my first point, the only reason Third-party multiplat games sell better on 360 or PS3 is because they are designed aound those systems.  Does anyone think Trauma Centre would be nearly as good on a system w/o proper motion control?  Wii Sports?  MoH:H2?

Thoughts?  Feel free to completely rebutt my arguments and say I'm crazy.

Around the Network

You are wrong and crazy.  

J/K. You are right. It is stupid to think that games in wich the main selling point is graphics would sell if the graphics are taken away.    

I do agree with the OP. You actually made a good example with RRR.

@Rol: You forgot to mention one option, which is that they could make the game basically from ground-up for the Wii, with Wiis requirements (which Konami hopefully is doing with PES 08).

Ei Kiinasti.

Eikä Japanisti.

Vaan pannaan jalalla koreasti.

Nintendo games sell only on Nintendo system.

Cruis'n FTW!!!

RolStoppable said:
Generally multiplatform games between the 360/PS3 and Wii won't work, because there's too much of a difference in graphics and controls between the systems. So either the game will do poor on the 360/PS3 or it will do poor on the Wii. In most cases the games do worse on the Wii, because they were designed for 360/PS3 first.

With this being the case, publishers that want to be successful have to accept that they will have to make exclusive games for Wii and multiplatform games for 360/PS3. Hardware sales of the current gen systems will dictate which of these two options publishers are going to use more often. If the Wii passes the combined sales of the 360/PS3, the Wii will become very appealing to 3rd parties because of its lower development costs.

So basically I agree with the OP. The Wii requires games made for the system from the ground up (in order to have a chance for good sales) which in return can't be easily ported to other platforms, making a lot of Wii games exclusives by default.

While I agree with what you are proposing entirely I think that the current 3rd party games thatare out on the will are very subpar and unless there is a quick improvement they will continue to sell very poorly.

Around the Network

yes you make a good point especially with RRR it was build for wii it worked better on wii and sold better on it thats what would happen to other multi-plats if they were build for wii

@bdbd
that's a very good point--a select few devs actually have been putting in some effort in the Wii versions of multiplats, and they are rewarded for it. The EA Madden games have sold well on Wii (not as well as other versions, but well). As questionable as EA's other Wii efforts have been, you can't say they haven't been doing a good job with their Wii multiplats.

I don't agree. If Madden had been designed for Wii and then ported to the Xbox360/PS3 duo, you think it would sell much better?

It's just that games must suit to the platform they get released at; Do you think Harry Potter or Cars on PS3 would ever sell well? Or COD4 on Wii? Lego Star Wars and Tiger Woods sold better on Wii because they suit the machine's userbase.

@routsounmanman

I don't know about 'better' per se, because of the undeniable difference in a part of the Wii's userbase, but I definitely think it would sell much better than it has been. Think about it: if EA threw their Madden marketing at showing people that you can "juke, pass, and throw a touchdown from the comfort of your living room" instead of focussing on the graphics, is it so hard to believe that the Wii version would sell better?

Good point, but there IS some validity to what I'm saying. You just need to look here (http://vgchartz.com/forum/thread.php?id=12236&start=50#end) to see how people want the more mature games with decent Wii controls, even if they are dumbed down (I guess that's not 100% on track with my original point, but there are similarities).

I will agree that, while graphics aren't the most important thing, there are some rare cases where a game just wouldn't be the same without them, such as Call of Duty and Gears of War. Those games would not be as good on Wii, because a good portion of their awesomeness is based on shock value, which is greatly contributed to by the graphics.

However, I would arguethat the two other games you mentioned, Star Wars and Tiger Woods, also sell better on Wii because, like I said, they take advantage of it's capabilities. Tiger Woods has very well-implemented golf-swing controls, and so it sells very well. Do you think that half of the Wii's casual userbase that buys games like TW would do so if it was controlled solely by buttons or if the motion controls were bad?
Same goes for Star Wars--most of them don't read the reviews, they just think SW+Lightsaber=awesome.

Both of these games sell better on Wii because of their well-thought-out control scheme.

@MrPickles: Well, i have to admit, that EA really have put more effort than most developers to implementing Wiis controls to their multiplatform games, but they still aren't made Wii in mind. But definately better than average.

@routsounmanman: Don't you think that noticing the consoles demographics would be a part a part of the process?
If Madden would have been designed for Wii and then ported to 360, i would say, that it would have sold better on Wii, than it has, and it would have sold worse on 360, than it has. I think this is the point of the topic, not which version outsell the other.

Ei Kiinasti.

Eikä Japanisti.

Vaan pannaan jalalla koreasti.

Nintendo games sell only on Nintendo system.