By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - 46" SONY Bravia Glasses-less 3DTV at CES

kowenicki said:

The tech companies; Samsung, Sony et al. have been very disingenuous over this whole matter.

They knew full well that glassless was coming and yet they have pushed out the with glasses option on an unsuspecting public and creamed some cash whilst they could.

I don't think there intentions are what you're suggesting ...

I suspect their plan was to release glasses based TVs, have them sell for a few years at a massive premium over HDTVs, reduce their price until they were cost competitive with standard HDTVs, introduce glassless 3DTVs at a massive premium, and so on ... What has (probably) forced them to abandon this approach is 3DTV was an "Epic Fail" in 2010, which in a small part could be attributed to the 3DS (effectively) teaching a lot of people that glasses weren't necessary for 3D displays.

Around the Network
kowenicki said:

At last....

Well who didnt see this coming...?

It will be expensive for a while but it will drop like a stone.

3D with glasses will be a VERY short lived technology... good... it is a shit idea for the home.

I pity the early adopters of "with glasses".

It was no questions if it will come..But when it comes and I guess sooner than most expected..

Toshiba has some coming out as well.

http://www.reuters.com/article/idUSTRE7040EV20110105

Samsung has a cool idea too:

http://www.slashgear.com/samsung-and-reald-create-rdz-3d-active-shutter-3d-with-passive-specs-04122859/

Basically what it is, its a full HD active shutter TV, which has a shutter on the TV that converts it to work with passive glasses. Passive is generally better as there is no flicker and brightness is high...not to mention the glasses which are 10 bucks VS 100... But the problem with real passive tech is that it isn't full HD but 1080i as each line is used to send image to the other eye.

This solves that issue...

With this TV, gamers will be able to do 2 players on same screen with easy and low cost. All you need is 10 dollar glasses which allow 1 type of light to both eyes for player 1 and another set for the other light frequency for player 2.

hmm.. personally I'm not as interested in glasses-less 3D as there still are _a lot_ of difficulties to overcome, so I'd probably go with a 2k res polarized 3D set (means it's still double "1080p" res in 3D mode), as the passive glasses are cheap and don't have tech in them (no need to recharge batteries and so on)

kowenicki said:

I'd be awfully upset if I had bought a with glasses set in 2010....  but then a little research would have shown it was a silly idea.

Honestly I don't think the glasses 3D idea is that bad when applied right. Its a terrible idea for a 40 inch TV for sure...but when you have a 60 inch TV monster or a projector set up in a theater room, it kind of adds to the feeling of watching a movie when you put those glasses on.

It helps the immersion if you know what I mean...

Around the Network
kowenicki said:

At last....

Well who didnt see this coming...?

It will be expensive for a while but it will drop like a stone.

3D with glasses will be a VERY short lived technology... good... it is a shit idea for the home.

I pity the early adopters of "with glasses".

Im actually surprised its this early.

You were nearly one of them if I remember correctly lol